If you are looking for a delicious and healthy salad that can be served as a main course, look no further than Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad. This is a classic French dish that features fresh tuna, green beans, potatoes, eggs, tomatoes, olives, and a tangy dressing made with anchovies, capers, mustard, and vinegar. It is a perfect balance of protein, carbs, and veggies that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you full for hours.
In this article, I will show you how to make Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad step by step, with tips and tricks from the master chef himself. You will learn how to sear the tuna to perfection, how to cook the eggs and potatoes to the right texture, how to make the dressing with a mortar and pestle, and how to assemble the salad in a beautiful presentation.
Let’s get started!
What is Gordon Ramsay Tuna Nicoise Salad?
Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad is a variation of the traditional nicoise salad, which is a specialty of the French city of Nice. It is a composed salad, meaning that the ingredients are arranged separately on a large platter rather than mixed together. The main ingredients are fresh tuna steaks, green beans, potatoes, eggs, tomatoes, olives, and a dressing made with anchovies, capers, mustard, and vinegar. It is a hearty and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or a light meal.
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe.
Here are some of them:
- It is easy to make and does not require any complicated techniques or equipment.
- It is versatile and can be adapted to your preferences and availability of ingredients.
- It is delicious and satisfying. The tuna steaks are seared to perfection, with a crispy crust and a tender center. The dressing is tangy and flavorful, with a hint of saltiness from the anchovies and capers.
- It is healthy and balanced. It provides a good amount of protein, fiber, carbs, and healthy fats. It also contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support your immune system and overall well-being.
What ingredients do you need to Make Nicoise Salad Gordon Ramsay?
To make Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad for four servings, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 tuna steaks (about 150g each)
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 400g new potatoes
- 200g green beans
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- A handful of black olives (preferably Niçoise)
- A few lettuce leaves (such as cos or romaine)
For the dressing, you will need:
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4-5 anchovy fillets
- A handful of capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of chopped parsley
To make Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad, you will need the following equipment:
- A large frying pan or griddle pan
- A large pot of boiling water
- A colander
- A small pot of cold water
- A knife and a chopping board
- A mortar and pestle
- A whisk or a fork
- A large salad bowl
- A serving platter
Instructions to Make Nicoise Salad Gordon Ramsay
Follow these instructions to make Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad:
- Season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper on both sides. Drizzle some olive oil over them and rub it in. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a small pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Then drain the eggs and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Peel and halve the eggs and set aside.
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters depending on their size. Boil them in a large pot of salted water for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Trim the ends of the green beans and blanch them in the same pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and set aside.
- To make the dressing, put the mustard, anchovies, capers, garlic, and some black pepper in a mortar and pestle. Grind them into a smooth paste. Then add the vinegar and whisk in the olive oil gradually until well combined. Stir in the parsley and taste for seasoning. Adjust if needed.
- Heat a large frying pan or griddle pan over high heat until smoking hot. Sear the tuna steaks for about 2 minutes per side or until charred on the outside but still pink in the middle. Transfer to a cutting board and let them rest for a few minutes.
- To assemble the salad, toss the potatoes and tomatoes with some of the dressing in a large salad bowl. Arrange them on a serving platter along with the lettuce leaves. Scatter the olives over them. Slice the tuna steaks thinly at an angle and place them on top of the salad. Arrange the eggs around them. Drizzle some more dressing over everything and serve.
What Do I Serve With Gordon Ramsay Tuna Nicoise Salad?
Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad is a complete meal on its own, but you can also serve it with some bread or crackers to soak up the dressing. You can also pair it with some wine or sparkling water to complement the flavors. Some suggestions are:
- A crusty baguette or sourdough bread
- Whole wheat or rye crackers
- A dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- Sparkling water with lemon or lime slices
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Gordon Ramsay Tuna Nicoise Salad
To make your tuna nicoise salad even more perfect, follow these pro tips from Gordon Ramsay:
- Use fresh tuna steaks that are firm and bright in color. Avoid frozen or canned tuna as they will not have the same texture or flavor.
- Do not overcook the tuna as it will become dry and tough. The best way to cook it is to sear it quickly on a very hot pan so that it forms a nice crust on the outside but remains rare or medium-rare in the middle.
- Use a mortar and pestle to make the dressing as it will release more flavor from the anchovies, capers, garlic, and mustard than using a blender or a food processor.
- You can also add some lemon juice to the dressing for extra freshness and acidity.
- You can use any type of lettuce you like for the salad, but crisp and crunchy varieties such as cos or romaine work best.
- You can also add some other ingredients to the salad such as radishes, cucumbers, artichokes, or red onions for more color and crunch.
Other Gordon Ramsay Recipes
How do you cook the tuna for a nicoise salad?
The best way to cook the tuna for a nicoise salad is to sear it quickly on a very hot pan or griddle, so that it forms a nice crust on the outside but remains rare or medium-rare in the middle. This will give the tuna a tender and juicy texture and a rich flavor. You can season the tuna with salt and pepper before searing, and drizzle some olive oil over it. You can also marinate the tuna in some lemon juice, garlic, and herbs for extra flavor.
What kind of lettuce should I use for a nicoise salad?
You can use any kind of lettuce you like for a nicoise salad, but crisp and crunchy varieties such as cos or romaine work best. They will provide a nice contrast to the soft and flaky tuna, and the creamy and tangy dressing. You can also use other greens such as spinach, arugula, or watercress for more variety and nutrition.
- Related: Mary Berry Marzipan Recipe
What is the difference between a nicoise salad and a salade nicoise?
A nicoise salad is an anglicized version of the traditional French salade nicoise, which originated in the city of Nice. The main difference is that a nicoise salad usually uses fresh tuna steaks, while a salade nicoise uses canned tuna or anchovies. A salade nicoise also has more specific ingredients, such as Niçoise olives, which are small and black, and French green beans, which are thin and tender. A nicoise salad is more flexible and adaptable and can include other ingredients such as capers, radishes, cucumbers, artichokes, or red onions.
Gordon Ramsay’s tuna nicoise salad is a simple but satisfying dish that is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. It is packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins and has a wonderful contrast of flavors and textures. It is easy to make and can be customized to your liking. Try it today and enjoy!