Beef bourguignon is a classic French dish that is rich, hearty, and full of flavor. It is made with tender chunks of beef, bacon, onions, mushrooms, and red wine, and cooked slowly in the oven until the meat is melt-in-your-mouth tender. It is a perfect dish for a cold winter day, or for a special occasion when you want to impress your guests.
I have been making beef bourguignon for over 10 years, and I have learned some tips and tricks to make it even better. In this blog post, I will share with you my step-by-step guide on how to make the Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon recipe, which is one of my favorites. The Hairy Bikers are a British duo of chefs and TV personalities who are known for their love of meat and hearty dishes. Their beef bourguignon recipe is based on the traditional French one, but with some tweaks and additions that make it more flavorful and satisfying.
What is Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon?
Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon is a delicious and hearty dish that is inspired by the traditional French stew of beef braised in red wine with bacon, onions, and mushrooms. It is named after the Hairy Bikers, a British duo of chefs and TV personalities who are known for their love of meat and hearty dishes. They have adapted the classic recipe to make it more flavorful and satisfying, by adding some tomato puree, water, and cornflour to the sauce, and frying the pearl onions and mushrooms separately to give them more color and texture.
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe, but here are some of the main ones:
- It is easy to make, with simple ingredients and straightforward steps. You just need to brown the meat and bacon, cook the onion and garlic, add the wine and herbs, and transfer to the oven. Then you just need to fry the pearl onions and mushrooms and thicken the sauce before serving.
- It is rich and comforting, with tender chunks of beef, crispy bacon, and juicy mushrooms in a thick and glossy sauce. The red wine adds a depth of flavor and a hint of sweetness, while the tomato puree and herbs add some freshness and aroma. The pearl onions add a pop of sweetness and texture, and the parsley adds some color and freshness.
- It is versatile and adaptable, as you can serve it with different sides, such as creamy mashed potatoes, crusty bread, rice, noodles, or polenta. You can also add some green vegetables or a salad to balance the richness of the dish. You can also vary the ingredients, such as using different cuts of beef, different types of mushrooms, or different herbs.
- It is perfect for any occasion, as you can make it ahead and reheat it when needed. It is also great for feeding a crowd, as you can easily double or triple the recipe. It is a dish that will impress your guests, as it looks and tastes amazing.
Ingredients Needed to Make Hairy Bikers Beef Bourguignon
- 1.5 kg (3 lb) good-quality braising steak
- 200 g (7 oz) smoked bacon
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 750 ml (1.5 pints) red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300 ml (0.5 pint) water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 250 g (9 oz) pearl onions
- 250 g (9 oz) chestnut mushrooms
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
Instructions to Make Hairy Bikers Beef Bourguignon
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients
You will need good-quality braising steak, smoked bacon, onion, garlic, red wine, tomato puree, beef stock, bay leaves, thyme, butter, pearl onions, chestnut mushrooms, cornflour, salt, pepper, and parsley. Cut the steak into chunky pieces, trim off any hard fat or sinew, and season well with salt and pepper. Cut the bacon into small pieces, chop the onion and garlic, and peel the pearl onions. Wipe and halve or quarter the mushrooms, depending on their size. Measure out the wine, tomato puree, water, butter, cornflour, and parsley.
Step 2: Brown the meat and bacon
Heat some oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, and fry the beef in batches until nicely browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer the beef to a large flameproof casserole. Add some more oil to the same frying pan, and fry the bacon until the fat crisps and browns. Scatter the bacon over the meat in the casserole.
Step 3: Cook the onion and garlic
Add some more oil to the same frying pan, and cook the onion over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the onion and garlic to the casserole with the meat and bacon.
Step 4: Add the wine and herbs
Pour the wine over the meat mixture in the casserole, and stir in the tomato puree and water. Crumble over the beef stock cube, and add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer, stirring well, and cover with a lid. Transfer the casserole to the oven, and cook for 1.5 to 1.75 hours, or until the beef is almost completely tender.
Step 5: Fry the pearl onions and mushrooms
A few minutes before the beef is ready, melt half of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan with a touch of oil, and fry the pearl onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides. Tip them into a bowl. Add the remaining butter and mushrooms to the same pan, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over fairly high heat, until golden brown, turning often.
Step 6: Thicken the sauce
Mix the cornflour with some cold water in a small bowl until smooth. Take the casserole out of the oven, and stir in the cornflour mixture. Bring to a boil on the stovetop, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and glossy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 7: Add the onions and mushrooms
Stir in the pearl onions and mushrooms, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve the beef bourguignon with creamy mashed potatoes and some green vegetables, or a crisp side salad with a mustardy dressing. Enjoy!
What Do I Serve With Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon?
You can serve Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon with various sides, depending on your preference and the occasion. Some of the most popular options are:
- Creamy mashed potatoes are the classic accompaniment for this dish. They soak up the sauce and add some creaminess and fluffiness to the dish. You can also add some cheese, garlic, or herbs to the mashed potatoes for extra flavor.
- Crusty bread is another traditional option for this dish. You can use any type of bread, such as baguette, sourdough, or ciabatta, and toast it lightly or rub it with some garlic and butter. You can use the bread to dip into the sauce and scoop up the meat and vegetables.
- Rice, is a simple and easy option for this dish. You can use any type of rice, such as white, brown, or basmati, and cook it according to the package directions. You can also add some butter, salt, or herbs to the rice for extra flavor.
- Noodles are a fun and tasty option for this dish. You can use any type of noodles, such as egg, wheat, or rice noodles, and cook them according to the package directions. You can also toss them with some butter, salt, or herbs for extra flavor.
- Polenta, which is a creamy and smooth option for this dish. You can use either instant or regular polenta and cook it according to the package directions. You can also add some cheese, butter, or herbs to the polenta for extra flavor.
- Green vegetables are a healthy and refreshing option for this dish. You can use any type of green vegetables, such as broccoli, green beans, peas, spinach, or kale, and steam, boil, or sauté them until tender. You can also season them with some salt, pepper, butter, or lemon juice for extra flavor.
- Salad, which is a light and crisp option for this dish. You can use any type of salad, such as lettuce, rocket, cabbage, or coleslaw, and toss it with some dressing, such as vinaigrette, mayonnaise, or mustard. You can also add some cheese, nuts, or fruits to the salad for extra flavor and texture.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Hairy Bikers Beef Bourguignon
Follow these pro tips to make the perfect Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon:
Select the Right Meat
- Use good quality braising steaks like chuck, brisket, or shin
- Cut meat into chunky 2-3 inch pieces for tender results
- Season meat before browning to boost flavor
Build a Flavorful Sauce
- Cook bacon, onions, and garlic in the pan first to develop fond
- Use a full-bodied red wine like Burgundy or Pinot Noir
- Add tomato puree, water, stock cube for depth
- Simmer bay leaves and thyme to impart aroma and herbiness
Braise the Meat
- Transfer meat and sauce to a flameproof casserole dish
- Cover and braise in the oven at 325F for 1.5-1.75 hours
- Oven braising cooks meat evenly and develops a crust
Prepare the Vegetables
- Fry pearl onions in butter until caramelized
- Saute mushrooms in butter over high heat until browned
Finish the Sauce
- Make a slurry with cornflour and cold water
- Stir into the casserole and boil to thicken the sauce
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in pearl onions and mushrooms
- Garnish with chopped parsley for freshness and color
Variations of Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon
You can also make some variations of Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon, by changing some of the ingredients or adding some new ones.
Here are some ideas:
- Use different cuts of beef, such as sirloin, ribeye, or fillet, and cut them into smaller pieces. This will make the dish more tender and luxurious, but also more expensive and less flavorful. You will also need to reduce the cooking time, as the meat will cook faster and become dry if overcooked.
- Use different types of mushrooms, such as oyster, portobello, or chanterelle, and slice them thinly. This will make the dish more varied and interesting, and also add some different textures and flavors. You can also use a mix of different mushrooms, or dried mushrooms that have been soaked in hot water and drained.
- Use different herbs, such as rosemary, sage, or parsley, and chop them finely. This will make the dish more
Nutrition value per serving:
- 669 kcal
- 59g protein
- 16g carbohydrates (of which 9g sugars)
- 30g fat (of which 11g saturates)
- 3.5g fibre
- 2.4g salt
How long does it take to make Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon?
It takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to make Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon, including the preparation and cooking time. The preparation time is less than 30 minutes, and the cooking time is 1.5 to 1.75 hours in the oven, plus 10 to 15 minutes on the stovetop.
What kind of wine should I use for Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon?
You should use a good-quality red wine, such as Burgundy, Pinot Noir, or Merlot, for Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon. The wine will add a depth of flavor and a hint of sweetness to the dish, and also help to tenderize the meat. You can also use some brandy or cognac for extra flavor if you like.
- Related: Mary Berry Venison Casserole
Can I make Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon ahead of time, and reheat it when needed. You can store the cooked dish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw the dish if frozen, and bring it to a simmer on the stovetop, stirring occasionally, until heated through. You can also reheat it in the oven, covered with foil, at 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling
I hope you enjoyed this step-by-step guide on how to make the Hairy Bikers beef bourguignon recipe. It is a delicious and satisfying dish that will warm you up and make you happy. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading, and bon appetit!