I’m going to share with you a delicious recipe for Hairy Bikers Parsnip and Apple Soup.
This is a creamy and comforting soup that combines the sweetness of parsnips and the tanginess of apples.
It’s perfect for a cold winter day or a cozy family dinner.
Let me show you how to make this soup step by step, and give you some tips and tricks to make it even better.
What is Hairy Bikers Parsnip and Apple Soup Recipe?
Hairy Bikers Parsnip and Apple Soup is a recipe from the popular British TV show Hairy Bikers’ Best of British, where the hosts Dave Myers and Si King explore the history and culture of British cuisine. This soup is one of their creations, inspired by the traditional use of parsnips and apples in British cooking. Parsnips are a root vegetable that look like white carrots but have a nuttier and sweeter flavor. Apples are a fruit that grows abundantly in Britain and have a crisp and juicy texture. Together, they make a wonderful combination for a soup that is rich, creamy, and satisfying.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe, but here are some of the main ones:
- It’s easy to make. You only need a few simple ingredients, and most of the work is done by your blender or food processor.
- It’s healthy. Parsnips are high in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and folate. Apples are high in antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber. They also help lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- It’s versatile. You can adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more or less milk. You can also add some spices or herbs to give it more flavor. Some suggestions are curry powder, nutmeg, thyme, or sage.
- It’s delicious. The soup has a smooth and creamy texture, with a sweet and savory taste. The apples add a touch of acidity that balances the richness of the parsnips.
To make this soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 600g/1lb 5oz parsnips, cut into 2cm/1in pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g/1lb 5oz Bramley apples, peeled, quartered, and cut into chunks
- 1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable or chicken stock
- 150ml/5fl oz milk
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Step by Step Instructions
Follow these steps to make this soup:
- Step 1: Melt the butter and oilMelt the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. This will help cook the onions and parsnips evenly and add some flavor to the soup.Step 2: Fry the onions and parsnips
Gently fry the onions and parsnips for 15 minutes, or until the onions are softened, stirring occasionally. This will bring out the sweetness of the vegetables and make them easier to blend later.
Step 3: Add the garlic and apples
Add the garlic and apples and cook for another two minutes, stirring frequently. The garlic will add some aroma and taste to the soup, while the apples will provide some acidity and freshness.
Step 4: Pour over the stock and boil
Pour over the stock and bring it to a boil. You can use vegetable or chicken stock, depending on your preference. The stock will add some liquid and flavor to the soup.
Step 5: Simmer until soft
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the parsnips are very soft. This will allow the flavors to infuse and the vegetables to become tender.
Step 6: Season with salt and pepper
Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some other spices or herbs if you like, such as curry powder, nutmeg, thyme, or sage.
Step 7: Blend until smooth
Blend the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your appliance. Be careful not to overfill your blender or food processor, as hot liquids can splatter.
Step 8: Stir in the milk
Stir in the milk, adding more or less depending on how thick you want your soup. The milk will make the soup creamier and smoother.
Step 9: Reheat and serve
Reheat the soup if needed, and serve hot with some crusty bread or croutons. You can also garnish it with some chopped parsley, chives, or apple slices for some extra color and flavor.
How do I serve the Hairy Bikers Parsnip and Apple Soup Recipe?
You can serve this soup as a starter or as a main course. It goes well with some crusty bread or croutons to dip into it. You can also garnish it with some chopped parsley, chives, or apple slices for some extra color and flavor.
What do I serve with Hairy Bikers Parsnip and Apple Soup Recipe?
This soup is hearty enough to be enjoyed on its own, but if you want to make it more filling, you can serve it with some of these dishes:
- A green salad with some nuts, cheese, or dried fruits for some crunch and protein.
- A grilled cheese sandwich with some cheddar or brie cheese for some gooey goodness.
- A roasted chicken or turkey with some cranberry sauce for some festive flair.
- A quiche or tart with some cheese, eggs, bacon, or spinach for some savory satisfaction.
Tips to Make the Best Hairy Bikers Parsnip and Apple Soup Recipe
Here are some tips to make this soup even better:
- Use fresh parsnips and apples for the best flavor and texture. Avoid using canned or frozen ones as they may be too mushy or watery.
- Peel and chop the parsnips and apples into similar-sized pieces for even cooking and blending.
- Use a good-quality vegetable or chicken stock for the soup base. You can also use water, but the soup may be less flavorful.
- Adjust the seasoning of the soup to your liking. You can add more salt, pepper, or other spices or herbs as you prefer.
- If you want to make this soup ahead of time, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave before serving.