Mushroom soup, a warm and comforting dish, resonates with the culinary ethos of simplicity and flavor, characteristics central to Mary Berry’s cooking style. This article will guide you through the creation of a mouthwatering mushroom soup that is not only easy to concoct but also brimming with the rich, earthy tones of mushrooms, harmoniously blended with a medley of herbs and spices.
What is Mary Berry Mushroom Soup?
Mary Berry mushroom soup is a recipe by Mary Berry, a famous British cook, author, and television presenter. It is a creamy and comforting soup made with mushrooms, onion, garlic, sherry, milk, stock, mushroom ketchup, and cream. It has a light and delicate flavor that can be enjoyed as a starter or a main course.
Other Mary Berry Soap Recipe
- Mary Berry Carrot and Coriander Soup
- Mary Berry Parsnip Soup
- Mary Berry Carrot and Parsnip Soup Recipe
- Mary Berry Carrot and Orange Soup
Why You Should Try This Recipe
You should try this recipe because it is:
- Easy and quick to make: You only need a few basic ingredients and about 35 minutes to make this soup.
- Healthy and nutritious: Mushrooms are low in calories and fat, but high in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They also have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that can boost your immune system and prevent diseases.
- Versatile and adaptable: You can use any mushrooms you like or have on hand for this recipe. You can also make it vegan or dairy-free by using plant-based alternatives. You can also add some extra ingredients to make it more filling or flavorful.
- Delicious and satisfying: This soup is creamy, smooth, and rich, with a hint of sherry and nutmeg. It will warm you up and fill you up on cold days or when you need a cozy meal.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Mushroom Soup
You will need the following ingredients:
- 90g butter
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g mushrooms, finely chopped (chestnut or button mushrooms work well)
- 4 tbsp sherry
- 600ml milk
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 level dessertspoon mushroom ketchup
- Salt and pepper
- A little grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Slices of raw mushroom for garnish
The recipe takes about 35 minutes to make and serves 4 people.
Step to Make Mary Berry Mushroom Soup
Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Melt the butter and soften the onion and garlic
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with a splash of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. You don’t want to brown them, just soften them.
Step 2: Add the mushrooms and sherry
Add the mushrooms to the saucepan and stir well to coat them with the butter. Season with salt, pepper, and a little grated nutmeg. Cook for another 10 minutes, until the mushrooms release their juices and reduce in volume. Then add the sherry and cook for another 5 minutes, until the alcohol evaporates.
Step 3: Add the milk, stock, and mushroom ketchup
Pour the milk, stock, and mushroom ketchup into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes, until the soup is slightly thickened. Mushroom ketchup is a condiment made from mushrooms, vinegar, spices, and salt. It adds a rich and savory flavor to the soup. You can find it in some supermarkets or online.
Step 4: Blend half of the soup
Transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one. Return the blended soup to the saucepan and stir well to combine with the remaining chunky soup. This will give the soup a nice texture and consistency.
Step 5: Add the lemon juice, cream and parsley
Stir in the lemon juice, cream, and parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. The lemon juice adds a touch of freshness and acidity to balance the richness of the soup. The cream makes it creamy and smooth. The parsley adds some color and freshness.
Step 6: Serve with raw mushroom slices
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with some slices of raw mushroom. You can also sprinkle some more parsley if you like. Serve hot or warm, with some crusty bread or croutons on the side. Enjoy your delicious Mary Berry mushroom soup!
Tips and Tricks for Making the Best Mary Berry Mushroom Soup
Here are some tips and tricks for making the best Mary Berry mushroom soup:
- Chop the mushrooms finely: This will help them release their juices and reduce in volume faster. It will also give the soup a better texture and consistency.
- Use mushroom ketchup: This is a secret ingredient that adds a rich and savory flavor to the soup. You can find it in some supermarkets or online. If you don’t have it, you can use soy sauce or tamari instead, but use less as they are saltier.
- Blend half of the soup: This will make the soup smoother and creamier, while still keeping some chunks of mushrooms for texture. You can use a blender, food processor, or immersion blender for this step.
- Add lemon juice, cream, and parsley at the end: This will add some freshness and acidity to balance the richness of the soup. The cream will make it smoother and silkier. The parsley will add some color and freshness.