Mary Berry is a famous British cook and author, who has written over 70 books and hosted several TV shows. She is known for her simple and elegant recipes, that are both tasty and practical. One of her signature dishes is the bacon and egg pie, which is a classic British dish that consists of a pastry crust filled with bacon, eggs, cheese, and cream. It is baked until golden and puffy, and served hot or cold.
In this blog article, I will show you how to make mary berry bacon and egg pie with amazing method, using only basic ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. This recipe is easy to follow, and you can customize it according to your preferences. You can use different types of cheese, add some herbs or spices, or even make it vegetarian by replacing the bacon with mushrooms or spinach. The result will be a satisfying and comforting pie that will impress your family and friends.
What is Mary Berry’s Bacon and Egg pie?
Mary Berry’s bacon and egg pie is a classic British dish that consists of a pastry crust filled with bacon, eggs, cheese, and cream. It is baked until golden and puffy, and served hot or cold. It is one of the signature dishes of Mary Berry, a famous British cook and author, who has written over 70 books and hosted several TV shows. She is known for her simple and elegant recipes, that are both tasty and practical.
More From Mary Berry’s
Why You Should Try This Recipe
You should try this recipe because it is:
- Delicious: The combination of bacon, eggs, cheese, and cream is rich and satisfying, and the pastry crust adds a nice crunch and texture. The pie has a savory and slightly sweet flavor that will make your mouth water.
- Easy: This recipe is easy to follow, and you only need basic ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. You can use frozen pastry to save time and effort, or make your own pastry from scratch if you prefer. You can also customize the filling according to your preferences.
- Versatile: This pie is perfect for breakfast or brunch, but you can also enjoy it for lunch or dinner. You can serve it hot or cold, with some tomato sauce or tomato relish on the side if you like. You can also make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer for later.
Mary Berry Bacon and Egg Ingredients
To make mary berry bacon and egg pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- Four sheets of butter frozen pastry (you can also use homemade pastry if you prefer)
- Ten eggs
- 1/2 lb (250g) of bacon (unsmoked or smoked, depending on your taste)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- Two tbsp of milk
- Tomato sauce or tomato relish (optional, for serving)
You will also need the following equipment:
- A large mixing bowl
- A fork
- A knife
- A cutting board
- A frying pan
- A baking dish measuring 30cm x 20cm (preferably with a loose bottom)
- A rolling pin
- Baking parchment
- Baking beans (or dried beans or rice)
- A pastry brush
- An oven
How to Make Mary Berry Bacon and Egg
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients and equipment, let’s get started with the method.
Here are the steps to make mary berry bacon and egg pie:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the pastry
First, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Then, take the frozen pastry out of the freezer and let it thaw for 5 to 10 minutes. You can also make your own pastry from scratch if you have more time and skills. To do so, follow this recipe1.
Next, roll out two sheets of pastry on a lightly floured surface and use them to line the bottom and sides of the baking dish. Make sure to leave some pastry overhang on the edges. You can use a fork to press the pastry together in the middle. Then, prick the pastry case all over with a fork, to prevent air bubbles from forming during baking.
After that, cover the pastry case with another sheet of baking parchment and fill it with baking beans (or dried beans or rice). This will help the pastry to keep its shape and prevent it from rising too much. Place the baking dish on the prepared baking sheet and bake it in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Cook the bacon and onion
While the pastry case is baking, you can prepare the filling. Start by cutting the bacon into small pieces of about 1 to 2 cm (0.5 to 1 inch). Then, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the bacon for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly crispy. You don’t need to add any oil or butter, as the bacon will release its own fat.
When the bacon is done, transfer it to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess fat. Leave some fat in the pan for cooking the onion. Peel and chop the onion finely, then add it to the same frying pan over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it is soft and golden. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Assemble the pie
Once the pastry case is baked, remove it from the oven and carefully lift out the baking parchment and beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F). Then, layer half of the bacon on the bottom of the pastry case, spreading it evenly.
Next, crack six eggs on top of the bacon, spacing them evenly. You can use a fork or a spoon to break up some of the eggs if you want, or leave them whole if you prefer. Sprinkle some cheese over the eggs and bacon, then add the remaining bacon on top.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining four eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture slowly over the pie filling, making sure it fills all the gaps. You can gently shake the baking dish to help the egg mixture settle.
Finally, roll out the remaining two sheets of pastry on a floured surface and join them together in the middle. Place them over the pie filling and press the edges to seal. Trim off any excess pastry and use it to decorate the top of the pie if you like. You can make flowers, leaves, or any other shapes you want. Brush the top of the pie with some milk to give it a nice golden crust.
Step 4: Bake and serve
Now, your pie is ready to go into the oven. Bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it is puffy and golden brown. You can insert a knife into the center of the pie to check if the eggs are cooked. The knife should come out clean.
Let the pie rest for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving. You can serve it hot or cold, with some tomato sauce or tomato relish on the side if you like.
Enjoy your mary berry bacon and egg pie!
Tips and Tricks for Making the Best Mary Berry Bacon and Egg
Here are some tips and tricks for making the best bacon and egg pie:
- Use good quality bacon: Choose unsmoked or smoked bacon, depending on your taste, but make sure it is not too fatty or salty. You can also use ham or sausage instead of bacon if you like.
- Cook the bacon and onion well: Fry the bacon until it is lightly crispy, and cook the onion until it is soft and golden. This will add more flavor and texture to the filling.
- Season the eggs well: Whisk the eggs with some milk, salt, and pepper before pouring them over the filling. You can also add some herbs or spices for extra flavor, such as parsley, thyme, nutmeg, or mustard.
- Seal the pastry well: Press the edges of the pastry together to seal the pie and prevent the filling from leaking out. You can also use a fork to crimp the edges for a decorative effect.
- Brush the top with milk: Brushing the top of the pie with some milk will give it a nice golden crust. You can also sprinkle some cheese on top if you like.
Here are some frequently asked questions about mary berry bacon and egg pie:
Can I make this pie ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this pie ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to two days, or in the freezer for up to two months. To reheat it, thaw it in the fridge overnight if frozen, then bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Can I use different types of cheese for this pie?
Yes, you can use different types of cheese for this pie, depending on your taste and availability. Some good options are cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, feta, or goat cheese.
Can I make this pie vegetarian?
Yes, you can make this pie vegetarian by replacing the bacon with mushrooms or spinach, or any other vegetables you like. You can also add some herbs or spices for extra flavor.
What is tomato relish and where can I find it?
Tomato relish is a condiment made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and spices. It has a sweet and tangy flavor that goes well with savory dishes like pies, sandwiches, or burgers. You can find it in most supermarkets or online stores, or you can make your own by following this recipe.