In this article, I will show you how to make this cheese and onion pie step by step, with some tips and tricks along the way. You will need some basic ingredients and equipment and about an hour of your time.
Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie?
Mary Berry cheese and onion pie is a savory pie made with a shortcrust pastry crust and a filling of cooked onions, cheese, eggs, and milk. It is named after Mary Berry, a famous British baker and cookbook author who popularized this recipe. It is a traditional dish in the UK, especially in the north of England, where it is often served as a main course or a snack.
Why You Love this Recipe
Mary Berry’s Cheese and Onion Pie is more than just a dish; it’s an experience that has won my heart, and here’s why:
- Easy to prepare.
- Requires few, affordable ingredients.
- Great taste hot or cold.
- Suitable for any meal.
- Option to use ready-made pastry or homemade.
Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie Ingredients
To make this cheese and onion pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- For the pastry:
- 225 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 150 g (5 oz) butter, chilled and cubed
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- For the filling:
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 3 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150 g (5 oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
To make this cheese and onion pie, you will need the following equipment:
- A large mixing bowl
- A pastry blender or a fork
- A rolling pin
- A 20 cm (8 inch) round pie dish
- A frying pan
- A saucepan
- A whisk or a fork
- A pastry brush
Instruction to Make Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie
To make this cheese and onion pie, follow these steps:
Step 1: Make the pastry
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and add the salt. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and mix well. Gradually add the water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a ball. You may not need all the water, depending on the humidity of your kitchen.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Make the filling
- In a frying pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and cook the onions for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to a boil. Whisk in the eggs and cheese until well combined. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg if using.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan) / 400°F (350°F fan) / Gas Mark 6.
Step 3: Assemble the pie
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out two-thirds of the pastry into a circle large enough to line the pie dish. Press it into the dish and trim off any excess.
- Spoon the onion mixture over the pastry base and spread it evenly.
- Roll out the remaining pastry into a circle large enough to cover the filling. Place it over the filling and press the edges together to seal. Cut some slits on top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the pastry with some beaten egg for extra browning.
Step 4: Bake the pie
- Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
What Do I Serve Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie With?
You can serve Mary Berry cheese and onion pie with a variety of accompaniments, depending on your taste and the occasion. Some of the most common ones are:
- A green salad, for a light and refreshing contrast to the rich pie.
- Some chips or fries, for a classic and indulgent combination.
- Some baked beans or peas, for a hearty and filling meal.
- Some chutney or relish, for a tangy and spicy touch.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie
Here are some pro tips to make the perfect Mary Berry cheese and onion pie:
- Use cold butter and water for the pastry, as this will help create a flaky and tender crust.
- Cook the onions slowly over low heat, until they are soft and caramelized. This will bring out their natural sweetness and flavor.
- Use mature cheddar cheese for the filling, as this will give the pie a sharp and cheesy taste. You can also mix in some other cheeses for more variety.
- Season the filling well with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. This will enhance the flavor and add some warmth to the pie.
- Brush the pastry with some beaten egg before baking. This will give the pie a golden and glossy finish.
How do I store Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie Leftovers?
After indulging in the delightful Mary Berry cheese and onion pie, you might find yourself with leftovers. Here’s how you can keep them fresh:
Place your leftover slices in an airtight container. They’ll retain their flavor and texture for:
- Up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
If you’re looking to extend the pie’s shelf life even further:
- Wrap each slice tightly in cling film or aluminum foil.
- Freeze them, ensuring they’ll be good to go for up to three months.
How do I reheat Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie?
When you’re ready to dive back into that savory treat, here’s how to reheat it:
- Preheat to 180°C (160°C fan) / 350°F (320°F fan) / Gas Mark 4.
- Bake the pie for 15 to 20 minutes, or until it’s thoroughly heated.
- Place a slice of the pie on a microwave-safe plate.
- Heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until piping hot.
Famous Mary Berry Recipes
- Mary Berry Marzipan
- Carrot and Walnut Cake Mary Berry
- Mary Berry Pear Chutney
- Coronation Chicken Mary Berry
- Mary Berry Ham And Leek Pie
- Steak and Mushroom Pie Mary Berry
- Mary Berry Vegetarian Lasagne
- Mary Berry Cheese Straws
- Mary Berry Cheese Scones
Do you put egg in cheese and onion pie?
No, you don’t have to put the egg in the cheese and onion pie filling, as it can reduce the taste of the cheese and onion. However, you do need to use an egg wash on the pastry crust to make it crispier and browner.
What kind of cheese do you use for cheese and onion pie?
You can use any kind of cheese that you like or have on hand for this recipe. However, Mary Berry recommends using mature cheddar cheese, as it gives the pie a sharp and cheesy flavor. You can also mix in some other cheeses, such as mozzarella, parmesan, or blue cheese, for more variety.
How do you store and reheat cheese and onion pie leftovers?
You can store cheese and onion pie leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure to wrap them well in cling film or foil before freezing. To reheat them, you can either use the oven or the microwave. In the oven, preheat it to 180°C (160°C fan) / 350°F (320°F fan) / Gas Mark 4 and bake the pie for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. In the microwave, place a slice of pie on a microwave-safe plate and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to make Mary Berry cheese and onion pie. This is a classic and comforting dish that is sure to please everyone. It is easy to make and can be adapted to your preferences. Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below. Happy baking!