In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry’s peanut butter cookies step by step, with tips and tricks along the way.
What is Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies?
Mary Berry’s Peanut Butter Cookies are a simple yet delicious treat, featuring a rich, nutty flavor encapsulated in a crisp, golden cookie. This recipe, created by the renowned British baker Mary Berry, combines the creamy texture of peanut butter with traditional cookie ingredients to create a delightful snack perfect for any occasion.
Other Biscuit Recipes:
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe, but here are some of the main ones:
- Simplicity and Speed: With just six ingredients, most of which are likely already in your pantry, this recipe is straightforward and quick to prepare. No special equipment is needed beyond a bowl, spoon, and baking sheet, allowing you to enjoy these cookies in under 30 minutes.
- Versatility and Customization: The flexibility to use any type of peanut butter—smooth, crunchy, natural, or flavored—along with the option to incorporate additional ingredients like chocolate chips or nuts, makes this recipe adaptable to your preferences.
- Delicious and Satisfying: The cookies strike the perfect balance of soft and moist interior with a slight outer crunch. Their rich, nutty flavor, complemented by a hint of sweetness and saltiness, makes them a fulfilling treat without being overly indulgent.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies
To make Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 100 g (3.5 oz) of butter, softened
- 175 g (6 oz) of light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 200 g (7 oz) of peanut butter
- 175 g (6 oz) of self-raising flour
- A pinch of salt
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Follow these steps to make these cookies:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray.
- Alternatively, you can use a silicone baking mat or a non-stick baking sheet.
Step 2: Cream the butter and sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- This will take about 5 minutes and will help the cookies to spread and brown evenly.
Step 3: Add the egg and peanut butter
- Add the egg and peanut butter to the butter and sugar mixture and beat well until smooth and combined.
- You can use any type of peanut butter you like, but make sure it is at room temperature and not too runny or too hard.
- If you are using natural peanut butter, you may need to stir it well before adding it to the mixture.
Step 4: Add the flour and salt
- Sift the flour and salt over the peanut butter mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula until a soft dough forms.
- You may need to use your hands to bring the dough together, but don’t overwork it or it will become tough and dry.
Step 5: Shape the cookies and bake
- Using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them.
- You can make the cookies as big or as small as you like, but remember that they will spread and flatten as they bake.
- You should get about 16 to 20 cookies, depending on the size of your dough balls.
- Flatten the cookies slightly with your fingers or a fork, making a criss-cross pattern on top.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden and firm around the edges.
- The cookies will still be soft in the middle, but they will harden as they cool.
Step 6: Cool and enjoy
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your cookies as they are, or store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies?
Enjoying Mary Berry’s peanut butter cookies extends beyond their delightful taste when served alone.
Elevate your snacking experience with these complementary pairings:
- Beverages: Enhance the cookies’ nutty sweetness with a glass of milk, or a warm cup of coffee or tea. These drinks not only complement the flavors but also make for a comforting snack or dessert combination.
- Creamy Add-ons: Introduce a touch of luxury by pairing the cookies with vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a spoonful of yogurt. These creamy additions bring a contrasting texture and a refreshing twist to the rich cookies.
- Fresh Fruits: Brighten your cookie serving with slices of fresh fruit like berries, bananas, or apples. The natural sweetness and acidity of the fruits cut through the richness, adding a healthful and colorful element to your treat.
- Saucy Toppings: Drizzle chocolate, caramel sauce, or your favorite jam over the cookies for an extra layer of indulgence. These sweet enhancements make each bite more decadent and satisfying.
Expert Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies
Achieving the perfect batch of peanut butter cookies is simple with these professional tips:
- Select Quality Ingredients: The choice of peanut butter is crucial; opt for high-quality brands with minimal additives to ensure the best flavor and texture in your cookies.
- Avoid Overbaking: Watch for the golden edges as your cue for doneness, remembering that the cookies will firm up as they cool. This prevents them from becoming too dry or crumbly.
- Non-Stick Solutions: Utilize parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for an effortless release from the baking sheet, ensuring evenly baked cookies without sticking.
- Proper Cooling: Allowing the cookies to cool completely before storage is key to maintaining their desirable texture. Store them only after they’ve fully cooled to prevent sogginess.
Variations of Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies
Transform Mary Berry’s classic peanut butter cookies with these inventive twists:
- Chocolate Chip Addition: Incorporate chocolate chips into the dough or sprinkle them on top before baking for a delightful crunch and chocolatey flavor.
- Oatmeal Blend: Mix rolled oats into your dough for a fibrous texture, making the cookies heartier and more satisfying.
- Jelly Center: Create a thumbprint in each cookie before baking and fill it with jam for a burst of fruity flavor, adding a colorful and tangy surprise.
- Nutella Swirl: For a luxurious twist, mix Nutella into your dough or drizzle over the baked cookies, introducing a harmonious blend of chocolate and hazelnut.
How do I Store Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies Leftovers?
Ensuring your Mary Berry peanut butter cookies remain as delicious as the day they were baked involves proper storage techniques. Here’s how to keep them fresh:
- At Room Temperature: Place the cookies in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to a week, retaining their texture and flavor.
- Freezing for Longevity: For longer storage, freeze the cookies. Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet to freeze them individually. Once firm, transfer them to a freezer bag or an airtight container. This method prevents them from sticking together and keeps them fresh for up to three months.
- Thawing: When ready to enjoy, thaw the cookies at room temperature for about 15 minutes. If in a hurry, a quick microwave session for a few seconds can speed up the process without compromising their quality.
How do I Reheat Mary Berry Peanut Butter Cookies Leftovers?
Reviving the warmth and softness of Mary Berry’s peanut butter cookies is easy with the right approach:
- Oven Method: Preheat your oven to 160°C (140°C fan, gas mark 3). Place the cookies on a baking sheet and warm them for 5 to 10 minutes. This method gently reheats the cookies, restoring their fresh-baked warmth and softness.
- Microwave Method: For a quicker option, place the cookies on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds, or just until they become warm and soft. This method is ideal for immediate enjoyment, though it’s crucial not to overheat them to maintain their texture.
Nutrition value: One cookie (about 28 g) has the following nutrition value:
- Calories: 251.7
- Carbohydrate: 29.7 g
- Cholesterol: 35.8 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Saturated fat: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 209.4 mg
- Sugar: 18.2 g
Can I use crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth in Mary Berry’s peanut butter cookies?
Yes, you can use crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth in this recipe. Crunchy peanut butter will add extra texture and bits of peanuts throughout the cookies, providing a delightful contrast to the soft and chewy base. The substitution does not affect the baking process or the overall outcome of the cookies, making it a suitable option for those who prefer a more textured bite.
How do I ensure my peanut butter cookies are soft and chewy?
To ensure your peanut butter cookies come out soft and chewy, avoid overbaking them. Bake the cookies until they are just golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. They will continue to set as they cool on the baking sheet. Using ingredients like brown sugar can also help retain moisture, contributing to a softer texture. Additionally, make sure not to overmix the dough once the flour is added, as this can lead to tough cookies.
Can I add chocolate chips to the peanut butter cookie dough?
Absolutely, adding chocolate chips to the peanut butter cookie dough is a wonderful way to customize Mary Berry’s recipe. Fold in your choice of chocolate chips—milk, dark, or white—into the dough before shaping your cookies. This addition introduces a sweet and chocolatey flavor that complements the rich peanut butter base. Aim for about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chocolate chips to maintain the dough’s consistency and ensure even baking.
What’s the best way to store peanut butter cookies to keep them fresh?
The best way to store peanut butter cookies to keep them fresh is in an airtight container at room temperature. This method helps maintain their moisture and prevents them from becoming stale. If you’ve made a large batch and wish to keep them for a longer period, you can freeze the cookies. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet to freeze, then transfer to a freezer bag or container. When stored properly, the cookies can last at room temperature for up to a week and in the freezer for up to three months.
Mary Berry’s peanut butter cookies are a delicious and easy way to enjoy a classic treat. They are soft, chewy, and full of peanut flavor. You can make them with just six ingredients in less than 30 minutes. You can also customize them with different add-ins or toppings to suit your taste and mood.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make these cookies step by step. If you try this recipe, let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy baking!