Delia Smith’s Turkey Soup Recipe is a comforting and flavorsome dish that makes the most out of leftover turkey. Known for her practical yet delicious approach to cooking, Delia Smith offers a soup that is both easy to make and rich in taste. This recipe combines tender turkey with a selection of vegetables and herbs in a warming broth, making it an ideal meal for post-holiday leftovers or a cozy dinner any time of the year.
In this article, I will show you how to make Delia Smith turkey soup in a few steps. You will need some basic ingredients, a large pot, and a blender. Let’s get started!
What is Delia Smith Turkey Soup?
Delia Smith turkey soup is a creamy and savory soup made with cooked turkey, vegetables, stock, and cream. It is a great way to use up your leftover turkey and make a satisfying meal. Delia Smith is known for her classic and reliable recipes that anyone can make at home. She has published several cookbooks and hosted many TV shows. Her turkey soup recipe is one of her most popular dishes, especially during the festive season.
Other Turkey Cooking Recipes
Why Should You Try Delia Smith Turkey Soup?
Delia Smith turkey soup stands out for its simplicity and flavor. Here’s why you should consider preparing this dish:
- Ease of Preparation: This recipe is straightforward, requiring no special culinary skills. Simply chop vegetables, simmer with turkey and stock, and blend to your desired consistency. It’s a fuss-free process that allows for personalization in seasoning and thickness.
- Nutritional Value: Opt for this soup to enjoy a healthy blend of lean turkey, providing high-quality protein, and a mix of vegetables offering essential vitamins and minerals. For added richness, the cream is incorporated, yet you can easily substitute it with healthier options to suit your dietary preferences.
- Flavorful and Comforting: Each spoonful is a delight, combining tender turkey and soft vegetables in a creamy base, seasoned with herbs for an aromatic and satisfying meal. It’s versatile too; pair it with bread, crackers, or salads, or enjoy it as a standalone dish.
- Customizable: The recipe accommodates various types of cooked turkey – roasted, smoked, or fried. Not a turkey fan? Substitute with chicken or other poultry. The soup also adapts to whatever vegetables you have, and for an extra burst of flavor, consider adding cheese, bacon, or ham.
Ingredients Needed to Make Delia Smith Turkey Soup
To make Delia Smith’s turkey soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups of chicken or turkey stock
- 4 cups of cooked turkey, shredded or chopped
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Instructions to Make Delia Smith Turkey Soup
To make Make Delia’s turkey soup, follow these steps:
Step 1: Cook the vegetables
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter and cook the onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and golden.
Step 2: Add the stock and the turkey
- Add the stock and the turkey and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the turkey is heated through.
Step 3: Thicken the soup
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour and 1/2 cup of the cream until smooth.
- Gradually stir the mixture into the soup, stirring constantly, until the soup is slightly thickened.
Step 4: Puree the soup
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Be careful not to overfill the blender and to vent the lid to avoid hot splashes.
Step 5: Finish the soup
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the remaining cream.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with parsley.
Tips to Make Perfect Delia Smith Turkey Soup
Here are some tips and tricks for making Delia Smith turkey soup even better:
- Make-Ahead and Storage: Prepare this soup in advance and keep it refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for 3 months. When ready to enjoy, gently warm it on the stove or microwave, thinning it with water or stock if needed.
- Creaminess Your Way: Adjust the soup’s texture to your preference. Alter the amount of cream, or replace it with alternatives like half-and-half, milk, or dairy-free options such as coconut, almond, or soy milk.
- Texture Variations: Enjoy the soup fully blended for a smooth consistency or less so for a chunkier texture. You can also opt to leave some turkey and vegetables in larger pieces for a heartier eating experience.
- Flavor Adjustments: Tailor the soup’s taste to your liking. Make it milder or spicier with additions like cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce. For more complexity and zest, consider garlic, ginger, curry powder, or turmeric. These spices not only enhance the flavor but also add a vibrant color to your soup.
Nutrition value per serving:
- Calories: 340 kcal
- Carbs: 21.2 g
- Fat: 1.6 g
- Protein: 19.2 g
- Sodium: 74.6 mg
- Potassium: 378 mg
- Vitamin A: 21 %
- Vitamin C: 31.4 %
- Calcium: 4.2 %
- Iron: 5 %
How can I make the soup thicker or thinner?
You can adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more or less flour and cream. You can also add some water or stock if the soup is too thick, or simmer it longer if it is too thin.
How can I make the soup more flavorful or spicy?
You can enhance the flavor of the soup by adding more herbs and spices, such as garlic, ginger, curry powder, or turmeric. You can also add some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce for some heat.
How can I make the soup vegetarian or vegan?
You can make the soup vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead of chicken or turkey stock. You can also use a dairy-free alternative, such as coconut milk, almond milk, or soy milk, instead of cream. You can omit the butter and use oil or margarine instead.
Delia Smith turkey soup is a delicious and easy way to use up your leftover turkey and make a hearty and satisfying meal. It is a creamy and savory soup that you can customize to your liking. It is perfect for a cozy and comforting lunch or dinner, especially on a cold winter day. I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Delia Smith’s turkey soup. If you did, please share it with your friends and family, and let me know how it turned out in the comments below.