Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak is a classic British dish, renowned for its simple yet comforting nature. This recipe cleverly transforms leftover vegetables and potatoes into a delicious, golden-browned cake that’s crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Typically featuring cabbage and other greens, it’s a versatile dish that allows for plenty of customization based on your available ingredients.
What is Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak?
Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British dish that is made with leftover vegetables and potatoes, and fried in butter and beef dripping. It is named after the sounds that the vegetables make when they are cooked in the pan. It is a simple and delicious way to use up any leftovers from a roast dinner or a festive meal.
The preparation is quick and easy, making it an ideal choice for a satisfying breakfast, brunch, or side dish. Mary Berry’s take on this traditional recipe ensures a flavorful and hearty meal that can be enjoyed anytime.
Love these Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
Delight in the simplicity and comfort of Mary Berry’s renowned cooking with this recipe. Here’s why it will become a go-to in your kitchen:
- Simplicity: With minimal ingredients, this recipe is all about effortless preparation, suitable for any home cook.
- Comforting: Each bite offers a hearty and satisfying experience, perfect across all meals, from a robust breakfast to a cozy dinner.
- Customizable: Adapt the recipe to your liking or whatever you have in the fridge. Its versatility makes it a fantastic option for personalization.
- Renowned Origin: As a creation of Mary Berry, this recipe comes with a pedigree of British culinary excellence, ensuring a dish that’s both classic and elegant.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak
You will need the following ingredients:
- 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small cabbage, quartered, cored, and shredded
- 25g butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- Optional: bacon, ham, or sausage, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon of plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Good beef dripping, for frying
- Optional: eggs, for serving
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making Mary Berry’s bubble and squeak recipe.
Step 1: Cook the Potatoes
Put the potatoes in a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, for about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well, and return to the pot. Add the butter, and mash the potatoes with a potato masher or an electric hand mixer, until smooth and creamy. Do not add any milk, as you want the potatoes to be fairly stiff.
Step 2: Cook the Cabbage
While the potatoes are cooking, bring another pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shredded cabbage, and cook for about 6 minutes, until wilted and tender. Drain well, and squeeze out any excess water. You can use a colander, and press the cabbage with a plate and a weight, to make sure it is very dry.
Step 3: Mix the Vegetables and Meat
In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, the cooked cabbage, and the onion. If you are using any bacon, ham, or sausage, add them as well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well, until everything is well combined.
Step 4: Shape and Coat the Cakes
Divide the mixture into equal portions, and shape them into round cakes, about 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. You should get about 8 cakes. Dust each cake with the seasoned flour, and shake off any excess.
Step 5: Fry the Cakes
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, and add enough beef dripping to coat the bottom. When the dripping is hot, carefully add the cakes, and fry for about 10 minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp on both sides. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan. Drain the cakes on paper towels, and keep them warm in a low oven, until ready to serve.
Step 6: Serve the Cakes
Serve the bubble and squeak cakes hot, with eggs, if desired. You can also serve them with gravy, ketchup, or brown sauce if you like. Enjoy your delicious and hearty meal!
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak?
Complement your Bubble and Squeak with these serving ideas for a complete and delightful meal:
- Eggs: Pair it with eggs, fried or poached, to add a protein-rich dimension to your meal, ideal for breakfast or brunch.
- Sauces: Choose from gravy, ketchup, or brown sauce to add extra zest and moisture to each forkful.
- Meats or Fish: Accompany with a variety of main courses like roast beef, chicken, or fish and chips for a hearty and balanced plate.
- Bread: For a simpler fare, serve with bread, butter, and jam, embracing the comfort of traditional, home-cooked flavors.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak
Optimize your Bubble and Squeak with these expert suggestions:
- Preparation of Vegetables: Ensure potatoes and cabbage are thoroughly drained and patted dry. This is crucial in preventing a soggy mixture and achieving the desired texture in your cakes.
- Seasoning: Generously season with salt and pepper. Adequate seasoning brings out the natural flavors of the vegetables and any added meats, enhancing the overall taste.
- Flouring: Lightly dust the cakes with seasoned flour before frying. This step contributes to a beautifully browned and crispy exterior.
- Cooking Fat: Opt for high-quality beef dripping for frying. It lends a depth of savory flavor and aroma, characteristic of traditional Bubble and Squeak.
- Frying Technique: Maintain a medium-high heat and avoid overcrowding the pan to ensure each cake cooks evenly and develops a nicely browned crust.
Variations of Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak
Personalize your Bubble and Squeak with these creative twists:
- Potato Alternatives: Try sweet potatoes for a unique taste and texture variation.
- Cheese Additions: Incorporate cheeses like cheddar, parmesan, or feta into the mixture for a creamy, flavorful touch.
- Meat or Veggie Options: Experiment with different proteins such as chicken, turkey, beef, or plant-based substitutes like tofu or tempeh to cater to various dietary preferences.
- Sizing and Shapes: Adjust the size and shape of the cakes to suit the occasion or personal preference, making them as fun or traditional as you like.
- Sauce Pairings: Offer a selection of sauces such as mustard, mayonnaise, or relish to complement and enhance the dish.
How to Store Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak Leftovers
Follow these steps to keep leftovers fresh:
- Cooling and Storing: Allow cakes to cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or a ziplock bag.
- Refrigerator or Freezer: Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months for longer preservation.
- Labeling: Clearly label the container or bag with the dish’s name and date to ensure freshness and avoid mix-ups.
How to Reheat Mary Berry Bubble and Squeak Leftovers
Nutrition value per serving (based on 4 servings):
- Calories: 306 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 25 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated fat: 12 g
- Cholesterol: 47 mg
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 4 g
What is Bubble and Squeak?
Bubble and squeak is a dish that originated in Britain, and it is named after the sounds that the vegetables make when they are fried in a pan. It is a popular dish for breakfast or brunch, but it can also be eaten as a side dish or a main course. The main ingredients of bubble and squeak are mashed potatoes and cooked cabbage, but you can also add other vegetables, such as carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts, or swede. Some people also like to add bacon, ham, or sausage to the mixture, for extra flavor and protein. Bubble and squeak is usually shaped into patties or cakes and then fried until golden and crisp on both sides. It is often served with eggs, either fried or poached, and sometimes with gravy, ketchup, or brown sauce.
Can I make Bubble and Squeak in advance?
Yes, you can prepare Bubble and Squeak ahead of time. Simply cook the cakes as instructed, allow them to cool, and then store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, reheat them until they’re hot and crispy again.
You need to drain and dry the potatoes and cabbage well, before mashing and mixing them. You can also squeeze out any excess water from the cabbage with your hands, or use a colander and a weight to press it. Do not add any milk to the potatoes, as you want them to be fairly stiff.
How do I make the cakes more flavorful and crispy?
You can season the mixture well with salt and pepper, and add some chopped onion, bacon, ham, or sausage if you like. You can also dust the cakes with seasoned flour, to help them brown and crisp up nicely. Use a good quality beef dripping, to give the cakes a rich and savory flavor and aroma. Fry the cakes over medium-high heat, and do not overcrowd the pan, to ensure even cooking and browning.
Bubble and squeak is a traditional British dish that is easy to make and delicious to eat. It is a great way to use up any leftover vegetables and potatoes, and it is very filling and satisfying. Mary Berry’s bubble and squeak recipe is simple but special, and it will make you feel cozy and happy. I hope you enjoyed this article, and I hope you will try this recipe soon. Let me know how it turns out, and share your feedback and suggestions in the comments below. Thank you for reading, and happy cooking!