Dundee cake is a traditional Scottish fruit cake that is rich, moist, and full of flavor. It is usually topped with blanched almonds and has a distinctive citrus taste from the orange and lemon zest. 🍊🍋
Dundee cake is said to have originated in the 19th century in the city of Dundee, where it was made by the marmalade company Keiller’s. The cake was popularized by the British royal family, who enjoyed it as a tea-time treat.
If you want to make your own Dundee cake, you can follow this easy and delicious recipe from the Hairy Bikers, the famous duo of British chefs and TV personalities. They are known for their love of hearty and wholesome food, as well as their adventurous travels around the world.
What is Hairy Bikers Dundee Cake?
Hairy Bikers Dundee cake is a type of fruit cake that originated in Scotland. It is named after the Hairy Bikers, a pair of British chefs and TV hosts who shared their version of this recipe. The cake is made with butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, dried fruit, candied peel, citrus zest, and whisky. It is topped with blanched almonds and baked until golden and firm. The cake has a moist and dense texture and a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Learn: The Basics of Cake Baking
Why You Should Try This Hairy Bikers Dundee Cake Recipe
There are many reasons why you should try this Hairy Bikers Dundee cake recipe, such as:
- It is easy to make and requires only basic ingredients and equipment.
- It is a great way to use up any leftover dried fruit or nuts that you have in your pantry.
- It is a classic and festive cake that is perfect for any occasion, especially Christmas and New Year.
- It is a moist and dense cake that keeps well and improves with age.
- It is a delicious and satisfying cake that goes well with a hot drink or a glass of milk.
Ingredients Needed to Make Hairy Bikers Dundee Cake
To make this Hairy Bikers Dundee cake recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 175 g (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175 g (6 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 225 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g (4 oz) ground almonds
- 450 g (1 lb) mixed dried fruit (such as raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, and apricots)
- 50 g (2 oz) mixed candied peel
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp whisky (optional)
- 50 g (2 oz) blanched almonds, to decorate
You will also need the following equipment to make this Hairy Bikers Dundee cake recipe:
- A 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin, greased and lined with baking parchment
- A large mixing bowl
- An electric mixer or a wooden spoon
- A spatula or a large metal spoon
- A skewer or a knife
- A wire rack
Instructions to Make Hairy Bikers Dundee Cake
Follow these steps to make this Hairy Bikers Dundee cake recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan, gas mark 2).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. If the mixture looks curdled, add a little flour and beat again.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt over the mixture and fold in gently with a spatula or a large metal spoon.
- Stir in the ground almonds, dried fruit, candied peel, orange zest, lemon zest, and whisky (if using).
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Arrange the blanched almonds on top of the cake in a circular pattern, pressing them lightly into the mixture.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 2 hours, or until golden and firm to the touch. A skewer or a knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your Hairy Bikers Dundee cake with a cup of tea or coffee, or wrap it in foil and store it in an airtight container for up to a week. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. 🍰
This Hairy Bikers Dundee cake recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves fruit cake. It is a simple and foolproof recipe that yields a rich and flavorful cake that is sure to impress your family and friends. Whether you make it for a special occasion or a casual treat, you will not regret trying this Hairy Bikers Dundee cake recipe.