The Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake is a mouthwatering dessert that’s simple to make. This cake features a soft, fluffy lemon sponge soaked in tangy lemon syrup. It’s an easy recipe that comes together in just one bowl.
With pantry staples like flour, sugar, lemons, and eggs, you can whip up a bright and vibrant cake. The zesty lemon glaze seeps into the sponge for added moisture and flavor. This refreshing dessert is perfect for spring and summer.
Follow the straightforward steps below to bake the Hairy Bikers’ easy lemon drizzle cake. In about an hour, you’ll have a beautiful cake ready to serve straight from the oven.
What is Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake?
Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake is a moist and delicious cake that is flavored with lemon zest and juice, and topped with crunchy lemon syrup. It is named after the Hairy Bikers, who are two British chefs and TV personalities who love to cook and travel. They learned how to make this cake from a French baker in their show The Hairy Bikers’ Bakeation.
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe.
Here are some of them:
- Simplicity at Its Finest: Crafted with everyday ingredients and using standard kitchen equipment, this recipe is uncomplicated yet delightful.
- A Symphony of Flavors: The blend of sweetness, complemented by the tart undertones of fresh lemons, provides an impeccable taste profile.
- Texture That Delights: With an interior that’s sumptuously soft and moist, contrasted by a top layer that’s delightfully crisp and sticky, every bite is an experience.
- Versatile Elegance: Whether you’re hosting an afternoon tea, celebrating a birthday, or simply indulging in a personal treat, this cake fits any occasion seamlessly.
- A Nod to Tradition: As a classic British confection, this cake doesn’t just offer taste but a slice of history and cultural heritage.
Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake Ingredients
To make a Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 225 g (8 oz) of unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g (8 oz) of caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 225 g (8 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 100 g (3½ oz) of granulated sugar
You will also need the following equipment:
- A 20 cm (8 in) round cake tin
- Baking parchment
- A large mixing bowl
- An electric whisk or a wooden spoon
- A skewer or a toothpick
- A small saucepan
- A wire rack
Instruction to Make Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake
Now that you have everything ready, let’s start making the cake.
Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the cake tin
First, preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan or gas mark 4). Then, grease your cake tin with some butter and line it with baking parchment. This will prevent the cake from sticking to the tin and make it easier to remove later.
Step 2: Cream the butter and sugar
Next, put the butter and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat them together with an electric whisk or a wooden spoon until they are light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes. You want to incorporate as much air as possible into the mixture, as this will make the cake rise and be soft.
Step 3: Add the eggs
Then, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture looks curdled or separated, don’t worry. It will come together once you add the flour.
Step 4: Add the flour, baking powder, and lemon zest
Next, sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and fold them gently into the mixture with a spatula or a metal spoon. Don’t overmix or you will lose the air that you have created. Finally, stir in the lemon zest. This will give the cake a lovely citrus flavor and aroma.
Step 5: Bake the cake
Now, pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and spread it evenly with a spatula or a knife. Tap the tin lightly on the counter to release any air bubbles. Then, bake the cake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch. You can check if the cake is done by inserting a skewer or a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
Step 6: Make the lemon syrup
While the cake is baking, you can make the lemon syrup that will form the drizzle. To do this, put the granulated sugar and half of the lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. You don’t want to cook it too long or it will become too hard when it cools.
Step 7: Drizzle the cake
When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and leave it in the tin for 10 minutes. Then, poke some holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer or a toothpick. This will help the syrup soak into the cake. Spoon the syrup evenly over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. You can use a pastry brush to spread it more evenly if you like.
Step 8: Cool and serve
Finally, let the cake cool completely in the tin on a wire rack. Then, remove it from the tin and peel off the parchment paper. Cut into slices and serve with some whipped cream or ice cream if you like. Enjoy your Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake!
- Related: Hairy Bikers Ginger Cake
How Do I Serve Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake?
You can serve Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake in many ways.
Here are some suggestions:
- Cut into slices and enjoy it plain or with some whipped cream or ice cream on the side.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar or lemon zest over the cake for extra decoration and flavor.
- Make a lemon curd or jam filling and sandwich two layers of cake together for a more indulgent dessert.
- Serve it warm or cold, depending on your preference.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake
To make sure your Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake comes out perfect, follow these pro tips:
- Use fresh and organic lemons for the best flavor and aroma.
- Cream the butter and sugar well until light and fluffy, as this will make the cake rise and be soft.
- Don’t overmix the batter or you will lose the air that you have created.
- Check the cake for doneness by inserting a skewer or a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Poke holes all over the top of the cake before drizzling the syrup, as this will help the syrup soak into the cake.
- Let the cake cool completely in the tin before removing it, as this will prevent it from breaking or crumbling.
Variations of Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake
You can also try some variations of Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake to suit your taste and mood.
Here are some ideas:
- Use limes or oranges instead of lemons for a different citrus twist.
- Add some poppy seeds to the batter for some crunch and contrast.
- Use light brown sugar instead of caster sugar for a more caramelized taste.
- Use margarine instead of butter if you prefer, but butter will give a richer flavor and texture.
- Decorate the cake with some lemon slices, candied peel, or icing sugar for a more festive look.
How do I Freeze and Store Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake?
You can freeze and store Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake easily.
- To freeze, wrap the cake tightly in cling film or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. Label it with the date and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To thaw, transfer the cake to the fridge overnight or leave it at room temperature for a few hours. You can also microwave it for a few seconds if you want to warm it up.
- To store, keep the cake in an airtight container or wrap it in cling film or aluminum foil. Store it at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days.
How do I make my lemon drizzle cake more moist?
To make your lemon drizzle cake more moist, you can add some yogurt or sour cream to the batter, or use oil instead of butter. You can also poke more holes on the top of the cake before drizzling the syrup, or use more lemon juice in the syrup.
Can I use a different type of sugar for the lemon drizzle cake?
Yes, you can use a different type of sugar for the lemon drizzle cake, depending on your preference and availability. For example, you can use caster sugar, light brown sugar, or demerara sugar for the cake batter, and icing sugar, golden syrup, or honey for the syrup.
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to make a Hairy Bikers lemon drizzle cake. This is a simple and delicious recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your guests. It’s also a great way to use up some lemons that you might have lying around.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you. And if you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family.
Thank you for reading and happy baking!