The Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff recipe offers a delightful and hearty meal that perfectly combines tender strips of beef with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce. Renowned for its comforting flavors, this dish is a favorite for family dinners, casual gatherings, or any occasion that calls for a satisfying and elegant main course.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of creating Mary Berry’s Beef Stroganoff, providing detailed instructions and helpful advice to ensure your dish turns out perfectly every time.
What is Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff?
Mary Berry’s Beef Stroganoff is a classic dish that showcases the richness of sautéed beef strips, simmered in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, flavored with a hint of mustard, and enriched with sour cream. This recipe stands out for its balance of flavor and texture, combining tender beef with a smooth, aromatic sauce. It’s a perfect example of comfort food with a touch of elegance, making it suitable for both casual family dinners and more formal gatherings.
Designed to serve 4-6 people, this recipe can be completed in under an hour, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a gourmet meal without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simplicity Meets Elegance: Easy enough for a weeknight dinner yet elegant enough for entertaining guests.
- Rich and Flavorful: The combination of tender beef, creamy sauce, and aromatic mushrooms offers a deeply satisfying taste.
- Versatile Serving Options: Goes beautifully with rice, pasta, or bread, making it adaptable to your dining preferences.
- Quick to Prepare: Despite its luxurious taste, it comes together quickly, perfect for busy schedules.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff
To make Mary Berry beef stroganoff you will need the following ingredients:
- Beef Fillet: 600g, thinly sliced into strips
- Mushrooms: 300g, sliced
- Onions: 2 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves: 2, minced
- Butter: For sautéing
- Olive Oil: A splash for frying
- Beef Stock: 300ml, for depth of flavor
- Sour Cream: 200ml, for that creamy texture
- Dijon Mustard: 1 tablespoon, for a hint of tang
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze for brightness
- Paprika: 1 teaspoon, for color and warmth
- Salt and Pepper: To taste
- Fresh Parsley: Chopped, for garnish
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff
Creating this delectable dish involves a few key steps, each contributing to the depth of flavor and tenderness of the beef.
Here’s how to make Mary Berry’s Beef Stroganoff, broken down into manageable steps.
Preparing the Beef
- Slice the Beef: Begin by slicing the beef fillet into thin strips. This ensures quick cooking and tender meat.
- Season: Lightly season the beef strips with salt and pepper, preparing them for frying.
Cooking the Base
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: In a large skillet, melt butter with a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic, sautéing until soft and translucent.
- Brown the Beef: Increase the heat to high and add the beef strips to the skillet. Fry quickly until browned on all sides, ensuring the meat remains tender. Remove the beef and set aside.
Making the Sauce
- Mushrooms: In the same skillet, add a bit more butter if needed, and sauté the sliced mushrooms until they’re soft and golden.
- Deglaze: Pour in the beef stock, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. These bits add incredible flavor to the sauce.
- Add Creaminess: Stir in the sour cream and Dijon mustard, mixing well. Allow the sauce to simmer gently; it should thicken slightly.
- Combine: Return the beef to the skillet, adding a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of paprika. Stir to combine everything evenly. Cook for a few more minutes until the beef is heated through but still tender.
- Garnish: Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the dish just before serving. This adds a fresh, vibrant touch.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff?
- Rice: A bed of fluffy white rice makes the perfect companion, soaking up the creamy sauce.
- Pasta: Wide noodles or tagliatelle serve as an excellent base for the Stroganoff, offering a hearty meal.
- Green Beans: For a lighter side, crisp green beans sautéed in garlic butter complement the richness of the Stroganoff beautifully.
- Crusty Bread: To ensure not a drop of sauce goes to waste, serve with a slice of crusty bread for dipping.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff
- Quality Ingredients: Use the best quality beef you can find. Tenderloin or sirloin ensures tenderness and flavor.
- Thin Slices: Slice the beef thinly for quick cooking and maximum flavor absorption.
- Control the Heat: Sauté mushrooms and onions on medium heat to soften without burning, preserving their natural sweetness.
- Avoid Overcooking the Beef: Fry the beef over high heat for a short time to keep it tender.
- Gradual Addition of Sour Cream: Add the sour cream slowly and on low heat to prevent curdling, ensuring a smooth sauce.
- Taste and Adjust: Don’t forget to taste as you go. Adjusting the seasoning with salt, pepper, or more mustard to suit your palate can make all the difference.
- Fresh Finish: Garnish with fresh parsley before serving to add a burst of color and freshness.
How do I Store Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff Leftovers?
Cool Before Storing
- Immediate Cooling: Let the Stroganoff cool to room temperature before storing to prevent bacterial growth and condensation within the container.
Use Airtight Containers
- Seal Tightly: Transfer the cooled Stroganoff to an airtight container to maintain freshness and prevent it from absorbing other odors from the fridge.
- Proper Chilling: Store the sealed container in the refrigerator. Properly stored, Beef Stroganoff can last for up to 3 days.
How do I Reheat Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff Leftovers?
- Stovetop Reheating: Warm the Stroganoff in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. This method helps preserve the creaminess of the sauce.
- Adding Moisture: If the sauce has thickened too much in the fridge, stir in a small amount of beef broth or water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Avoid Boiling: Keep the heat low to avoid boiling the sauce, which can cause the sour cream to separate and the beef to toughen.
- Microwave with Care: If using a microwave, cover the Stroganoff and heat it on a low setting, stirring periodically to ensure even reheating. Use this method as a last resort, as it can unevenly heat and potentially spoil the texture of the sauce.
- Calories: Around 350-400 kcal per serving
- Protein: Approximately 25-30 grams per serving
- Fat: Roughly 20-25 grams per serving
- Carbohydrates: About 10-15 grams per serving
- Fiber: Around 1-2 grams per serving
- Sodium: Varies, but can be high due to the beef stock and added salt. Use low-sodium stock and adjust salt to taste for a lower sodium option.
- Cholesterol: Moderate, mainly from the beef and sour cream.
Can I make Mary Berry Beef Stroganoff in advance?
Yes, you can prepare Beef Stroganoff in advance. Cook the recipe as instructed, allow it to cool, and then store it in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, gently reheat it on the stove. Keep in mind that the sauce may thicken when chilled, so you might need to add a bit of beef broth or water when reheating.
What are the best cuts of beef for Stroganoff?
The best cuts of beef for Stroganoff are tender and lean. Fillet or sirloin are excellent choices. These cuts cook quickly and remain tender, which is perfect for the quick cooking nature of Stroganoff.
Can I freeze Beef Stroganoff?
Yes, Beef Stroganoff can be frozen, but it’s important to note that the creamy sauce may separate or change texture once thawed. To freeze, cool the Stroganoff completely, place it in a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat gently, stirring well to recombine the sauce.
Is there a dairy-free alternative for this recipe?
Absolutely! For a dairy-free version, you can substitute the sour cream with a plant-based sour cream or coconut cream. Also, use a dairy-free butter alternative for sautéing.
What are some healthy side dish options to serve with Beef Stroganoff?
To balance the richness of Beef Stroganoff, consider serving it with healthier sides like steamed green beans, roasted vegetables, a fresh salad, or whole grain bread. These sides add nutritional value and can make the meal more wholesome.
- Preparing the Beef
- Cooking the Base
- Making the Sauce