Today, I’m going to share with you a delicious recipe for Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup, a complete step-by-step guide that will show you how to make this creamy and comforting dish at home.
Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup?
Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup is a hearty and warming soup that is perfect for the cold winter months. It is made with fresh cauliflower, onion, garlic, vegetable stock, milk, cheese, and a pinch of cayenne pepper for some spice. The soup is blended until smooth and creamy, and topped with more cheese and bacon bits for extra flavor and texture. This soup is inspired by the famous British chef Mary Berry, who is known for her simple and comforting recipes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe, but here are some of the main ones:
- It is easy to make, with only a few ingredients and steps.
- It is healthy, with lots of vitamins and minerals from the cauliflower, and protein and calcium from the cheese and milk.
- It is versatile, as you can use any type of cheese you like, such as cheddar, blue cheese, or gruyere.
- It is satisfying, as it fills you up and keeps you warm.
- It is delicious, with a rich and creamy texture and a cheesy and savory flavor.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
To make this soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of grated cheese (your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Extra cheese and bacon bits for garnish (optional)
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
Here are the steps to make this soup:
Step 1: Saute the onion and garlic
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
Step 2: Add the cauliflower and stock
Add the cauliflower florets and the vegetable stock to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
Step 3: Blend the soup
Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth. Be careful not to overfill the blender if using a regular one.
Step 4: Stir in the milk and cheese
Return the soup to the pot if using a regular blender. Stir in the milk and cheese over low heat until melted. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper if using.
Step 5: Serve the soup
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with more cheese and bacon bits if desired. Enjoy!
How do I serve Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup?
You can serve this soup as a main course or as a starter. It goes well with crusty bread or crackers for dipping. You can also serve it with a green salad or some roasted vegetables for a balanced meal.
- Related: Mary Berry Green Tomato Chutney
What do I serve with Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup?
This soup pairs well with many dishes, but here are some suggestions:
- Roasted chicken or turkey
- Ham or sausage
- Quiche or pie
- Pasta or rice
- Grilled cheese sandwich or toast
Expert Tips to Make the Best Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
Here are some tips to make this soup even better:
- Use fresh cauliflower for the best flavor and texture.
- Cut the cauliflower into similar-sized pieces for even cooking.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup by adding more or less stock or milk.
- Use a good quality cheese that melts well.
- Add some herbs or spices for extra flavor, such as thyme, parsley, nutmeg, or paprika.
How to Store Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
If you have any leftover soup, you can store it in the refrigerator or the freezer for later use. Here are the steps to store the soup safely and effectively:
- Let the soup cool completely before packing it into airtight containers or freezer bags. You can use glass jars, plastic containers, or ziplock bags.
- Label the containers or bags with the name and date of the soup. This will help you keep track of how long the soup has been stored and avoid food waste.
- Refrigerate the soup for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Make sure your refrigerator is set at 40°F or below, and your freezer at 0°F or below.
- If freezing the soup, leave some space at the top of the container or bag to allow for expansion.
How to Reheat Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
When you are ready to enjoy your soup again, you can reheat it in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the oven. Here are the steps to reheat the soup properly and deliciously:
- If frozen, thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator, or use the defrost setting on your microwave. You can also reheat the soup directly from frozen, but it will take longer and may result in uneven heating.
- Transfer the soup to a microwave-safe bowl or a saucepan. If using a bowl, cover it with a lid or a plate. If using a saucepan, bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer until heated through.
- Stir the soup occasionally to prevent scorching and ensure even heating. You may need to add some water or milk to thin out the soup if it has thickened too much.
- Sprinkle some extra cheese and bacon bits on top of the soup if desired, and enjoy!
Nutrients (Per serving, based on 1):
One serving of Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup (about 250ml) provides approximately:
- Calories: 53
- Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Carbs: 4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 3g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 0%
Can I make this soup vegan?
Yes, you can make this soup vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, plant-based milk instead of heavy cream, and vegan cheese instead of cheddar cheese. You can also omit the bacon bits or use vegan bacon bits instead.
Can I add other vegetables to this soup?
Yes, you can add other vegetables to this soup to make it more nutritious and colorful. Some good options are carrots, celery, broccoli, spinach, kale, or peas. You can either chop them and add them along with the cauliflower, or roast them separately and add them at the end.
Can I freeze this soup in individual portions?
Yes, you can freeze this soup in individual portions for easy meal prep and convenience. You can use small containers or bags, or even muffin tins or ice cube trays. Just make sure to label them clearly and use them within 3 months.
I hope you found this recipe helpful and informative. Mary Berry Cauliflower and Cheese Soup is a creamy and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make, store, and reheat, and you can customize it to your liking.
Try it out today and let me know what you think!