Lamb shanks are a delicious and hearty dish that can warm you up on a cold day. They are tender, succulent, and full of flavor, especially when cooked in a rich red wine sauce with aromatic herbs and root vegetables. If you are looking for a simple and easy way to make lamb shanks, you should try the Mary Berry lamb shank recipe using the oven. Mary Berry is a famous British cook, author, and television presenter who has been sharing her recipes and tips for over 60 years. She is known for her classic and elegant dishes that are suitable for any occasion.
In this article, I will show you how to make her lamb shank recipe with step-by-step instructions, tips, and photos.
By the end of this article, you will be able to make a mouthwatering lamb shank dish that will impress your family and friends.
What is Mary Berry Lamb Shank Recipe?
Mary Berry Lamb Shank Recipe is a delicious and hearty dish that consists of lamb shanks cooked in a rich red wine sauce with aromatic herbs and root vegetables. It is a simple and easy recipe that uses the oven to make the lamb shanks tender and fall off the bone. It is a classic and elegant dish that is suitable for any occasion, such as a family dinner, a Sunday roast, or a special celebration.
Why You Love this Recipe
This Mary Berry Lamb Shank recipe is a culinary delight, offering ease in preparation, rich flavors, and wholesome nutrition.
Here are the key reasons why it’s a must-try:
- Simple and Easy: Requires only a few basic steps and ingredients, making it accessible for cooks of all levels.
- Flavorful and Satisfying: The sauce’s savory sweetness perfectly complements the lamb and vegetables, creating a deeply satisfying meal.
- Nutritious: Packed with high-quality protein, iron, zinc, and vitamins, thanks to the wholesome ingredients used.
- Versatile and Adaptable: Easily customize the dish with your preferred root vegetables or additional ingredients in the sauce or casserole.
- Comforting for Cold Weather: An ideal dish for warming up and filling up during chilly days.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry lamb shank recipe?
The ingredients for the Mary Berry lamb shank recipe are simple and easy to find. You will need the following:
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 lamb fore shanks, about 200 grams each
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.25 tablespoon of plain flour
- 320 milliliters of red wine
- 460 milliliters of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of redcurrant jelly
- 1 tablespoon of chopped rosemary leaves
- 260 grams of baby carrots, cut in half lengthways if large
- 260 grams of parsnips, cut into long strips
- 260 grams of baby turnips, cut in half lengthways if large
- A knob of butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, to garnish
Instructions to Make the Mary Berry Lamb Shank
The Mary Berry lamb shank recipe is easy to make and requires only a few steps. Here is how to make it:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and brown the lamb shanks
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius, 140 degrees Celsius fan, or gas mark 3.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep, ovenproof frying pan or a flameproof casserole dish over high heat.
- Add the lamb shanks and brown them all over for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan or dish.
- Remove the lamb shanks with a slotted spoon and set them aside on a plate.
Step 2: Cook the onion and garlic and make the sauce
- Add the remaining oil and the onion and garlic to the same pan or dish over medium heat.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
- Measure the flour into a small bowl and pour in the wine. Whisk into a smooth paste, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add the stock to the onion mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the redcurrant jelly and rosemary and stir until the jelly dissolves and the sauce thickens slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Return the lamb shanks to the pan and bake in the oven
- Place the lamb shanks back in the pan or dish and spoon some of the sauce over them.
- Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for about 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender and falling off the bone. You can check the doneness by inserting a fork or a knife into the meat. It should slide in and out easily.
- If the sauce is too thin, you can remove the lid and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced and glossy.
Step 4: Boil and fry the root vegetables
- When the lamb is almost done, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, and turnips and boil for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain well.
- Add a third of the vegetables to the lamb casserole and stir gently to coat them with the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the remaining vegetables and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, tossing occasionally, until golden and crisp on the edges.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy
- Serve one lamb shank per person with some of the sauce and vegetables from the casserole and extra fried vegetables on the side.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley to garnish and add some extra flavor and color.
- Enjoy your delicious and hearty lamb shank dish with a glass of red wine, some crusty bread, or a green salad.
Mary Berry Lamb Shank Recipe is a delicious and hearty dish that you can make easily and quickly in the oven. It is a perfect dish for any occasion, as it is flavorful, satisfying, nutritious, and versatile. You can serve it with a variety of sides, such as bread, salad, potatoes, rice, or couscous. You can also store and reheat the leftovers for another meal. If you are looking for a simple and easy way to make lamb shanks, you should try this recipe and enjoy the tender and succulent meat with the rich and sweet sauce. I hope you found this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Thank you for reading and happy cooking