Mary Berry’s classic rice pudding is a creamy, comforting British dessert that never goes out of style. The renowned cook and former Great British Bake Off judge shares her simple, foolproof recipe that uses basic ingredients to produce a rich, satisfying treat. It’s the perfect way to make an easy, delicious rice pudding just like Mary Berry.
If you want to make an authentic rice pudding like Mary Berry’s, you’ll want to follow her recipe precisely.
Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Rice Pudding?
Mary Berry rice pudding is a classic British dessert made with rice, milk, sugar, and nutmeg. It is baked in the oven until it forms a golden skin on top and a creamy custard underneath. It is a simple and comforting dish that can be enjoyed hot or cold, with or without toppings.
Why You’ll Love It
There are many reasons to love Mary Berry’s classic rice pudding recipe:
- It is easy to make with minimal preparation and ingredients.
- It is versatile and can be enjoyed with different toppings and flavours.
- It is comforting and satisfying, perfect for a cosy dessert or snack.
- It is suitable for vegetarians and gluten-free diets.
- It is a traditional British dish that has been enjoyed for generations.
Mary Berry Rice Pudding Ingredients
To make Mary Berry’s classic rice pudding, you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter, for greasing
- 75g (3oz) pudding rice
- 900ml (1½ pints) full-fat milk
- 1 heaped tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
You will also need the following equipment:
- A 1.6-litre (2¾-pint) wide-based ovenproof dish
- A saucepan
- A grater
Instruction to Make Mary Berry Rice Pudding
Here are the steps to make Mary Berry’s classic rice pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/Gas 3.
- Grease the ovenproof dish well with butter.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until hot but not boiling.
- Tip the rice into the dish and sprinkle the sugar over it. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour the hot milk over the rice mixture and stir again.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir gently. Sprinkle with nutmeg if you like.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 1¼–1½ hours until a golden skin has formed on top and the rice is soft and tender underneath.
- Serve hot with cream, jam, or syrup if desired.