This is a traditional English dessert that consists of stewed apples topped with a light sponge cake. It is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. You can serve it with custard or cream for a delicious treat.
Mary Berry is a famous British cook, author, and television presenter, who is known for her simple and delicious recipes. She has published many cookbooks and hosted several cooking shows, such as The Great British Bake Off and Mary Berry Everyday. One of her popular recipes is Eve’s pudding, which she makes with cooking apples, butter, sugar, eggs, flour, and baking powder. It is a classic pudding that can be enjoyed all year round.
In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry’s Eve’s pudding baked apples recipe step by step, with tips and tricks to make it even better.
What is Mary Berry Eve’s Pudding?
Mary Berry’s Eve’s pudding is a traditional English dessert that consists of stewed apples topped with a light sponge cake. It is named after the biblical Eve, who tempted Adam with an apple in the Garden of Eden. It is also known as apple sponge pudding or apple Charlotte.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
You should try this recipe because it is:
- Simple and easy to make: You only need a few basic ingredients and an hour to make this dessert. You don’t need any special skills or equipment to make it.
- Delicious and comforting: This dessert is creamy, fruity, and fluffy, with a hint of lemon and brown sugar. It will satisfy your sweet tooth and warm you up on cold days.
- Versatile and adaptable: You can use any apples you like or have on hand for this recipe. You can also customize it with different spices, nuts, or dried fruits if you like. You can also serve it with custard or cream, or any other sauce you prefer.
To make this recipe, you will need the following equipment:
- A large oven-proof dish
- A large bowl
- A spatula or a knife
- A skewer
- A saucepan
- A whisk
Mary Berry Eve’s Pudding Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients:
- 500g cooking apples, peeled and sliced or cubed
- 90g dark brown sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 125g baking spread
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Step to Make Mary Berry Eve’s Pudding
The recipe takes about an hour to make and serves 4 people. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the apples
Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C/Gas 4. Grease a large oven-proof dish with some of the baking spread. Arrange the apple slices or cubes on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle over the brown sugar and the lemon zest and juice.
Step 2: Make the sponge topping
In a large bowl, cream together the baking spread and caster sugar until fluffy and light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold gently until well combined. Add a tablespoon of boiling water to loosen the batter.
Step 3: Spoon the batter over the apples
Spoon the batter over the apple layer, spreading it evenly with a spatula or a knife. Make sure to cover all the apples and leave no gaps.
Step 4: Bake in the oven for 45 minutes
Bake the pudding in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch. You can insert a skewer in the center of the sponge to check if it is done. If it comes out clean, it is ready.
Step 5: Serve with custard or cream
Let the pudding rest for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into slices or scoop out portions with a spoon. Serve hot or warm, with custard or cream on the side. Enjoy your delicious Mary Berry’s Eve’s pudding – baked apple recipe!
How To Serve Mary Berry’s Eve’s Pudding
You can serve this pudding hot or warm, with custard or cream on the side. Custard is a thick sauce made from milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Cream is a dairy product that has a high-fat content and a smooth texture. You can use whipped cream or pouring cream for this dessert.
Some other options for serving this pudding are:
- Ice cream: Ice cream is a frozen dessert made from milk, cream, sugar, and flavorings. It has a soft and creamy texture and comes in various flavors. You can use vanilla ice cream or any other flavor you like for this dessert.
- Caramel sauce: Caramel sauce is a sweet sauce made from sugar, butter, and cream. It has a rich and golden color and a sticky and smooth texture. It goes well with apples and sponge cake.
- Jam: Jam is a fruit preserve made from cooked fruit, sugar, and pectin. It has a thick and spreadable texture and comes in various flavors. You can use apple jam or any other flavor you like for this dessert.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Best Mary Berry’s Eve’s Pudding
Here are some tips and tricks for making the best Mary Berry’s Eve pudding:
- Use cooking apples: Cooking apples are tart and firm, which makes them ideal for baking. They will hold their shape and texture better than eating apples, which are sweeter and softer. Some examples of cooking apples are Bramley, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Jonagold.
- Grease the dish well: Greasing the dish with some of the baking spread will prevent the pudding from sticking to it. It will also add some extra flavor and moisture to the pudding.
- Spread the batter evenly: Spreading the batter evenly over the apple layer will ensure that the pudding bakes evenly and has a uniform texture. Make sure to cover all the apples and leave no gaps.
- Check for doneness: To check if the pudding is done, insert a skewer in the center of the sponge. If it comes out clean, it is ready. If it has some batter on it, bake it for a few more minutes until done.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Mary Berry’s Eve’s pudding:
Can I make this pudding ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this pudding ahead of time and reheat it when you are ready to serve it. To reheat it, cover it with foil and bake it in a preheated oven at 160°C fan/180°C/Gas 4 for about 15 minutes, or until hot.
Can I freeze this pudding?
Yes, you can freeze this pudding for up to 3 months in an airtight container or freezer bag. To reheat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge or microwave it on low power until defrosted. Then follow the same steps as above to reheat it in the oven.
Can I make this pudding gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this pudding gluten-free by using gluten-free baking spread, gluten-free self-raising flour, and gluten-free baking powder. You can also use cornflour instead of flour to thicken the custard.
What can I do with the leftover apple peels?
You can use the leftover apple peels to make apple cider vinegar, apple tea, apple chips, or apple compost.
Mary Berry’s Eve’s pudding-baked apples recipe is a simple and satisfying dessert that you can make at home with basic ingredients. It is creamy, fruity, and fluffy, perfect for any occasion. You can also customize it with different spices, nuts, or dried fruits if you like.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe article on how to make Mary Berry’s Eve’s pudding-baked apples recipe step by step. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. I would love to hear from you!