Bread sauce is a classic British accompaniment to roast chicken or turkey. It is made with bread crumbs, milk, butter, onion, cloves, bay leaf, and nutmeg. It has a rich and creamy texture and a subtle spiced flavor.
Delia Smith is a famous British cook and author who has published many books and TV shows on cooking. She is known for her reliable and easy-to-follow recipes that appeal to both beginners and experts. She has a recipe for bread sauce that is simple and delicious.
In this article, I will show you how to make Delia Smith’s bread sauce recipe step by step. You will learn how to prepare the ingredients, cook the sauce, and serve it with your roast. You will also find some tips and variations to customize the sauce to your taste.
Let’s get started!
What is Delia Smith Bread Sauce?
Delia Smith Bread Sauce is a traditional British sauce that is served with roast chicken or turkey. It is made with bread crumbs, milk, butter, onion, cloves, bay leaf, and nutmeg. It has a creamy and smooth texture and a mild and spiced flavor. It is named after Delia Smith, a famous British cook and author who has a simple and delicious recipe for this sauce.
Try these Recipes:
Why You Love this Recipe
- It is easy to make with simple and common ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge.
- It is a great way to use up stale bread and avoid food waste.
- It adds moisture and flavor to your roast meat, especially if it is dry or bland.
- It is a classic and comforting dish that reminds you of your childhood and family gatherings.
- It is versatile and can be customized to your taste with different additions, such as cream, cheese, herbs, or other spices.
Ingredients Needed to Make Delia Smith Bread Sauce
To make Delia Smith’s bread sauce recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 15 cloves
- 570 ml (1 pint) whole milk
- 110 g (4 oz) fresh white bread crumbs
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
You will also need the following equipment:
- A small saucepan with a lid
- A fine sieve or strainer
- A wooden spoon
- A grater
- A measuring jug
- A measuring scale
- A knife and a chopping board
Instructions to Make Delia Smith Bread Sauce
Here are the instructions for making Delia Smith’s bread sauce recipe:
Step 1: Stud the onion with cloves
Insert the pointed end of each clove into the onion quarters, spacing them evenly. You should have about 15 cloves in total. This will infuse the onion and the milk with a warm and aromatic flavor. 🌿
Step 2: Simmer the onion and the milk
Place the onion in a small saucepan and pour the milk over it. Add the bay leaves and a pinch of salt. Bring the milk to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 50 minutes, partially covered with a lid. Stir occasionally to prevent the milk from scorching. 🥛
Step 3: Strain the milk and discard the onion
After 50 minutes, the onion and the milk should be well-infused. Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the milk through a fine sieve or strainer into a measuring jug. You should have about 425 ml (15 fl oz) of milk left. Discard the onion, the cloves, and the bay leaves. 🗑️
Step 4: Add the bread crumbs and the butter
Return the milk to the same saucepan and bring it back to a boil. Add the bread crumbs and the butter and stir well to combine. The bread crumbs will absorb the milk and thicken the sauce. The butter will add richness and flavor. 🧈
Step 5: Season the sauce with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Add a generous amount of freshly grated nutmeg and stir well. Nutmeg is the key spice for bread sauce and gives it a distinctive and festive taste.
Step 6: Serve the sauce hot or warm
Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and serve it hot or warm with your roast chicken or turkey. You can also reheat the sauce later if you make it ahead. Enjoy your bread sauce with your family and friends.
What Do I Serve With Delia Smith Bread Sauce?
- Roast potatoes or mashed potatoes
- Cranberry sauce or red currant jelly
- Stuffing or dressing
- Yorkshire pudding or popovers
- Gravy or jus
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Delia Smith Bread Sauce
Follow these tips when preparing this bread sauce recipe to guarantee optimal flavor, texture, and ease.
- Use whole milk rather than skim or semi-skimmed. The higher fat content prevents a thin, watery sauce.
- Fresh white bread makes the ideal crisp crumbs without altering flavor or color. Avoid seeds, nuts, or whole grains.
- Studying the onion with cloves before simmering infuses the milk with warmth and aromatic flavor. Bay leaves offer additional depth.
- Grate the nutmeg fresh rather than using pre-ground. Fresh nutmeg boasts an intense, vibrant character.
- Stir constantly when adding bread crumbs and butter. This prevents sticking or lumps from forming.
- Taste and season generously with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Spike with cayenne or mustard powder for a touch of heat if desired.
Variations of Delia Smith Bread Sauce
Customize this bread sauce recipe to your preferences with tasty mix-ins.
- For a richer, creamier sauce, stir in double cream after adding bread crumbs and butter. Half-and-half or light cream works too.
- Add grated cheddar, parmesan, or other favorite cheese for extra flavor and cheese appeal.
- Fresh or dried herbs like dill, parsley, rosemary, or sage provide color and brightness.
- Spices like cayenne, paprika, or curry mix in nicely for extra vibrancy and heat.
How do I store Delia Smith Bread Sauce Leftovers?
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Chill completely before storing.
- Freeze leftovers in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Leave room for expansion and label.
How do I reheat Delia Smith Bread Sauce Leftovers?
- Stovetop: You can reheat Delia Smith Bread Sauce leftovers in a saucepan over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and smooth. You may need to add some more milk or cream to thin the sauce if it is too thick.
- Microwave: You can reheat Delia Smith Bread Sauce leftovers in a microwave-safe bowl or dish, covered with a lid or a plate, in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until hot and smooth. You may need to add some more milk or cream to thin the sauce if it is too thick.
Nutrition Value (per serving):
- Calories: 191 kcal
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 144 mg
- Calcium: 138 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
Can Delia’s Traditional Bread Sauce recipe be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze Delia’s Traditional Bread Sauce recipe for up to 3 months. Just make sure to cool the sauce completely before freezing it in a freezer-safe container or a ziplock bag. Label the container or bag with the date and name of the sauce for easy identification. To use, thaw the sauce overnight in the fridge and reheat it gently in a saucepan or in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until hot and smooth. You may need to add some more milk or cream to thin the sauce if it is too thick.
How to make bread crumbs for Delia’s Traditional Bread Sauce recipe?
You can make bread crumbs for Delia’s Traditional Bread Sauce recipe by using stale bread or fresh bread. If you are using stale bread, just tear or chop the bread into small pieces and process them in a food processor or blender until fine. If you are using fresh bread, you need to remove the crusts and grate the bread on a coarse grater. You can also use ready-made bread crumbs from the store, but make sure they are plain and not seasoned.
What is the best nutmeg to use for Delia’s Traditional Bread Sauce recipe?
The best nutmeg to use for Delia’s Traditional Bread Sauce recipe is freshly grated nutmeg. Freshly grated nutmeg has a more intense and fragrant flavor than pre-ground nutmeg, which can lose its aroma and taste over time. You can grate the nutmeg yourself using a fine grater or a nutmeg grater. You can also buy whole nutmegs and store them in an airtight container in a cool and dry place for up to a year.
What are some alternatives to bread sauce?
A: Some alternatives to bread sauce are cranberry sauce, apple sauce, onion gravy, or mushroom sauce. These sauces can also complement roast chicken or turkey and add some variety and flavor to your meal. You can make these sauces from scratch or buy them from the store. You can also experiment with different ingredients and spices to create your own sauces.
Is Delia Smith’s bread sauce recipe vegetarian or vegan?
Delia’s original bread sauce recipe is vegetarian, but not vegan because it calls for butter and milk. To make a vegan version, you can substitute the butter with olive or coconut oil and replace the milk with unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond or soy. Just note that the texture may be thinner with these swaps.
Delia Smith’s bread sauce recipe is a classic and delicious accompaniment to roast chicken or turkey. It is easy to make with simple ingredients and has a rich and creamy texture and a subtle spiced flavor. You can also customize the sauce to your taste with some cream, cheese, herbs, or other additions. Try this recipe for your next roast dinner and impress your guests with your homemade bread sauce. 🍽️
I hope you enjoyed this article and found it helpful. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!