Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that consists of layers of eggplant, meat sauce, and béchamel sauce, baked in the oven until golden and bubbly. It is a hearty and satisfying meal that can feed a crowd, and it is perfect for any occasion.
But how do you make moussaka at home? And how do you make it as delicious as Jamie Oliver, the famous British chef and cookbook author who is known for his simple and fresh recipes?
In this article, I will show you how to make Jamie Oliver meat moussaka recipe, a complete step by step guide that will help you create this amazing dish with ease. You will learn how to prepare the ingredients, how to make the meat sauce, the béchamel sauce, and the eggplant layers, and how to assemble and bake the moussaka.
You will also get some tips and tricks on how to make your moussaka even better, such as how to season it, how to avoid soggy eggplant, and how to serve it.
So, are you ready to make Jamie Oliver’s meat moussaka recipe?
Let’s get started!
What is Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka?
Jamie Oliver meat moussaka is a version of the classic Greek dish moussaka, made with layers of eggplant, meat sauce, and béchamel sauce, baked in the oven until golden and bubbly. It is a recipe by Jamie Oliver, a famous British chef and cookbook author, who is known for his simple and fresh recipes. Jamie Oliver meat moussaka is a hearty and satisfying meal that can feed a crowd, and it is perfect for any occasion.
Try these Recipes:
Why You Love this Recipe
- Effortless Preparation: This recipe offers simplicity in its preparation, utilizing ingredients that are easy to find and work with.
- Rich and Savory Delight: A symphony of spices, herbs, and cheese melded with tomato sauce creates a deeply satisfying and flavorful experience.
- Adaptable to Your Palate: The recipe is wonderfully flexible, allowing for the use of various meats, vegetables, and cheeses, making it perfect for tailoring to individual tastes and dietary preferences.
- A Comforting Classic: Ideal for those chilly evenings, this dish brings a comforting warmth, making it a perfect choice for cozy dinners.
- Nutritionally Balanced: Packed with protein, fiber, calcium, and antioxidants, it’s a wholesome meal that balances indulgence with health benefits.
What You Need to Make Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka Recipe
To make Jamie Oliver’s meat moussaka recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 large eggplants
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 500 g of lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 400 g of canned chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml of beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 50 g of butter
- 50 g of all-purpose flour
- 500 ml of milk
- 100 g of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
You will also need a large frying pan, a saucepan, a baking dish, a knife, a cutting board, a wooden spoon, a whisk, and a measuring cup and spoons.
How to Make Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka
Here are the steps to make Jamie Oliver’s meat moussaka recipe:
Step 1: Preheat the Oven and Prepare the Eggplant
First, preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C fan) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, wash and dry the eggplants and slice them into 1 cm thick rounds. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle some olive oil over them. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake the eggplant slices for 25 minutes, flipping them halfway, until they are soft and slightly charred.
Step 2: Make the Meat Sauce
While the eggplant is baking, you can make the meat sauce. Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the onion and garlic for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for another 15 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
Then, add the oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaves, and some salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and rich. Stir in the parsley and remove the bay leaves.
Step 3: Make the Béchamel Sauce
Next, you can make the béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and remove from the heat. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese and the egg.
Step 4: Assemble and Bake the Moussaka
Now, you can assemble and bake the moussaka. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with some olive oil and spread a thin layer of meat sauce over the bottom. Cover with a layer of eggplant slices, overlapping them slightly. Repeat with another layer of meat sauce and another layer of eggplant. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
Bake the moussaka for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden. Let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.
What Do I Serve With Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka?
You can serve Jamie Oliver meat moussaka with some of the following side dishes:
- Greek salad, made with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese, and dressing.
- Bread, such as pita bread, naan bread, or garlic bread, to dip into the sauce.
- Yogurt, such as plain yogurt, tzatziki, or raita, to add some creaminess and freshness.
- Rice, such as basmati rice, pilaf, or couscous, to add some starch and texture.
- Wine, such as red wine, white wine, or rosé, complements the flavors and enhances the mood.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka
Here are some pro tips to make perfect Jamie Oliver meat moussaka:
- Season the eggplant slices well with salt and pepper before baking them, to enhance their flavor and draw out some moisture.
- Drain the excess fat from the meat sauce, to avoid a greasy and oily moussaka.
- Add some red wine to the meat sauce, to add some richness and depth.
- Use lamb instead of beef, to get a more authentic Greek flavor.
- Add some feta cheese to the béchamel sauce, to add some creaminess and tanginess.
- Sprinkle some nutmeg over the béchamel sauce, to add some warmth and aroma.
- Let the moussaka rest for 10 minutes before serving, to allow the layers to set and the flavors to meld.
Variations of Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka
You can make some variations of Jamie Oliver meat moussaka by changing some of the ingredients or adding some new ones.
Here are some ideas:
- Vegetable Variations: Substitute eggplant with zucchini or potatoes, or use a combination for varied textures and flavors in the layers.
- Meat Alternatives: Whether it’s chicken, turkey, pork, or even a vegetarian meat substitute, this recipe adapts to different dietary needs and preferences.
- Cheese Diversity: Experiment with different cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar, or gruyere to explore new flavors and textures in the cheese layer.
- Sauce Options: Transform the dish by using alternative sauces such as marinara, alfredo, or pesto, each lending a unique flavor and color to the moussaka.
- Extra Veggies for a Nutritional Boost: Enrich the meat sauce with spinach, mushrooms, carrots, or peas, adding both nutritional value and delicious complexity to the dish.
How do I store Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka Leftovers?
To store Jamie Oliver meat moussaka leftovers, follow these steps:
- Let the moussaka cool completely at room temperature.
- Cut the moussaka into portions and transfer them to airtight containers or wrap them in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the moussaka for up to 4 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Label the containers or wraps with the date and the name of the dish.
How do I reheat Jamie Oliver Meat Moussaka Leftovers?
To reheat Jamie Oliver meat moussaka leftovers, follow these steps:
- If frozen, thaw the moussaka overnight in the refrigerator or microwave it on the defrost setting until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan) and place the moussaka in an oven-safe dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake the moussaka for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Enjoy your reheated moussaka with your favorite side dishes.
Nutrition value per serving is:
- 325 kcal
- 15 g fat
- 5 g saturates
- 19 g carbs
- 14 g sugars
- 6 g fibre
- 28 g protein
- 0.65 g salt
What kind of meat should I use for moussaka?
You can use either beef or lamb for moussaka, depending on your preference and availability. Lamb will give a more authentic Greek flavor, while beef will be leaner and milder. You can also use a mixture of both, or a vegetarian meat substitute if you want to make it meat-free.
How do I avoid soggy eggplant in moussaka?
To prevent the eggplant from becoming soggy and releasing too much water, you should slice it thinly, salt it, and bake it or grill it until soft and slightly charred. This will draw out some of the moisture and enhance the flavor and texture of the eggplant.
How do I make the béchamel sauce for moussaka?
To make the béchamel sauce, you need to melt some butter in a saucepan, whisk in some flour, and cook for a few minutes until smooth and bubbly. Then, gradually whisk in some milk, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and remove from the heat. Stir in some grated cheese and an egg, and pour over the moussaka.
Can I freeze moussaka for later?
Yes, you can freeze moussaka for up to 3 months. Just let it cool completely, cut into portions, and wrap them in foil or plastic wrap. Label them with the date and name of the dish, and store them in the freezer. To reheat, thaw them overnight in the fridge, and bake them in the oven until hot and bubbly.
Jamie Oliver’s meat moussaka recipe is a delicious and easy way to make this classic Greek dish at home. It is a great recipe for any occasion, whether you want to impress your guests, feed your family, or enjoy a cozy dinner. It is also a great way to use up any leftover meat or vegetables you have in your fridge.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Jamie Oliver meat moussaka recipe, a complete step by step guide. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!