In this article, I’m going to show you how to make Delia Smith’s coronation chicken recipe, a classic British dish that was created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. This recipe is easy to make, delicious, and perfect for lunch or dinner. You’ll find a complete step-by-step guide with pictures, tips, and variations below. Let’s get started!
What is coronation chicken?
Coronation chicken is a dish that consists of cooked chicken pieces coated in a creamy sauce made with mayonnaise, yogurt, curry powder, and mango chutney. It also has some dried fruits, nuts, and herbs for extra flavor and texture. Coronation chicken is usually served cold, either on a bed of rice, salad, or bread. It’s a great dish for buffets, picnics, or parties, as you can make it ahead and store it in the fridge until ready to serve.
How was coronation chicken invented?
Coronation chicken was invented by a team of chefs led by Rosemary Hume and Constance Spry, who were asked to create a special dish for the coronation banquet of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. They wanted to make a dish that was suitable for the hot weather and that could appeal to a wide range of guests. They came up with a recipe that combined cooked chicken with a sauce that had a hint of curry and a touch of sweetness. They named the dish Poulet Reine Elizabeth, but it soon became popularized as coronation chicken.
What is Delia Smith’s Coronation Chicken Recipe?
Delia Smith puts a fresh twist on the classic coronation chicken recipe first made for Queen Elizabeth II’s 1953 coronation. She keeps the hallmark creamy curry sauce but amplifies the flavor with spices and texture with crunchy nuts and chewy dried fruits. Delia transforms simple cooked chicken into a flavorful salad, coated in a vibrant spice-infused mayonnaise sauce. It can be served cold in sandwiches or over greens for a light summertime meal. This easy yet elegant chicken salad is fit for royalty.
- Related: Mary Berry Coronation Chicken
Why You Love this Recipe
Some of the reasons why you love this recipe are:
- Easy to prepare in just 20 minutes
- Balanced flavors – savory chicken, tangy citrus, sweet fruits, and aromatic spices
- Cool and creamy texture – perfect for warm weather
- Versatile – works well in sandwiches, salads, and more
- A classic dish with a royal history
Delia Smith coronation chicken ingredients
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make Delia Smith coronation chicken:
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 75 grams of dried ready-to-eat apricots, chopped
- 50 grams of sultanas
- 50 grams of flaked almonds
Instructions to make Delia Smith’s Coronation chicken
Follow these steps to make Delia Smith’s coronation chicken: