Today, I’m going to share with you a delicious recipe for chicken provencal, inspired by the famous British cook and author Mary Berry. This is a classic French dish that features chicken pieces roasted with shallots, garlic, lemon, vermouth, and herbs. It’s easy to make, and perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion. Let me show you how to make it step by step.
What is Mary Berry Chicken Provencal?
Mary Berry Chicken Provencal is a recipe for a classic French dish that features chicken pieces roasted with shallots, garlic, lemon, vermouth, and herbs. It’s easy to make, and perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion. The recipe is inspired by the famous British cook and author Mary Berry, who is known for her simple and delicious dishes.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
There are many reasons why you should try this recipe:
- It’s easy to make with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- It’s full of flavor and aroma from the herbs, garlic, lemon, and vermouth.
- It’s a hearty and satisfying dish that will fill you up and warm you up.
- It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken or other meat.
- It’s a versatile dish that you can customize to your liking and serve with different side dishes.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love.
What are the ingredients for Chicken Provencal?
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 large skinless chicken thighs, bone-in (you can also use chicken legs or breasts if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of olive or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of herbes de Provence
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 8 to 10 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 4 to 6 medium-sized shallots, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup of dry vermouth (you can also use white wine or chicken stock if you don’t have vermouth)
- 4 sprigs of thyme, for serving
How to Make Chicken Provencal
To make this recipe, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and season the chicken
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a large bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the flour, paprika, salt, and pepper until well coated.
Step 2: Brown the chicken and transfer it to a baking dish
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp. Transfer the chicken to a large baking dish and sprinkle with the herbes de Provence.
Step 3: Make the sauce and add the vegetables
In the same skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and red pepper for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomato paste, sun-blushed tomatoes, vermouth (or wine or stock), salt, and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil and then pour it over the chicken in the baking dish. Arrange the lemon quarters, garlic cloves, and shallots around the chicken.
Step 4: Roast the chicken provencal
Cover the baking dish with foil and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy
Sprinkle some fresh thyme leaves over the chicken provencal and serve hot with your choice of side dish. You can enjoy this dish with rice, pasta, bread, salad, or roasted potatoes. Bon appétit!
How do I serve Mary Berry Chicken Provencal?
You can serve this dish hot, garnished with some fresh thyme leaves. You can enjoy this dish with rice, pasta, bread, salad, or roasted potatoes. You can also serve it with some grated Parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor. This dish is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion.
Tips and variations for chicken provencal
Here are some tips and variations that you can try to make this recipe even better:
- Chicken Selection: Feel free to use any chicken cut. If opting for boneless thighs or breasts, remember they cook quicker than bone-in varieties.
- Alternative Meats: This recipe is versatile. Pork chops or lamb shanks make excellent alternatives to chicken.
- Vegetable Additions: Enhance the sauce with added vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, or olives.
- Make Ahead: Prepare the dish in advance, reheating it in the oven when you’re ready to serve. It’s freezer-friendly and keeps well for up to 3 months.
- Cheesy Twist: For an added depth of flavor, garnish with grated Parmesan before serving.
How do I store Mary Berry Chicken Provencal?
You can store the leftover chicken provencal in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. To freeze it, let it cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag. Label and date it, and store it in the freezer.
How do I reheat Mary Berry Chicken Provencal?
You can reheat the chicken provencal in the oven or on the stovetop. To reheat it in the oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place the chicken provencal in a baking dish and cover it with foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through. To reheat it on the stovetop, place the chicken provencal in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Providing a balanced mix of flavors, this dish also offers a hearty dose of essential nutrients.
- Calories: 580
- Fat: 35 grams
- Saturated fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrate: 33 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Protein: 29 grams
- Sodium: 689 milligrams
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Unsaturated fat: 24 grams
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for chicken provencal, inspired by Mary Berry. It’s a delicious and easy dish that you can make for any occasion. If you try it, let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!
More From Mary Berry’s:
- Apple Chutney Recipe Mary Berry
- Mary Berry’s Cauliflower Cheese
- Mary Berry Bacon and Egg
- Salmon and Broccoli Quiche Mary Berry
- Mary Berry Eve’s Pudding Recipe
- Steak and Mushroom Pie Mary Berry
- Mary Berry Apricot Crumble Tart
- How to Make Mary Berry Green Tomato Chutney
- Mary Berry Ham And Leek Pie
- Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala