Here is the complete step-by-step guide on how to make it.
What is Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala?
To make this chicken tikka masala recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- About 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 large skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 2cm strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 450ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 100ml full-fat plain yogurt, or double cream
Method to Make Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala
To make this chicken tikka masala recipe, follow these steps:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep frying pan. Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper and brown them quickly all over until sealed. You may need to do this in batches, adding the third tablespoon of oil if needed. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onions and fry for a few minutes, then cover, lower the heat, and fry for 10 minutes, until softened. Remove the lid, increase the heat, and add the ginger root, garlic, and chili and fry for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the ground spices and fry for a few minutes more, stirring well to coat the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle over the flour then stir in the stock and bring to a boil, until thickened. Add the mango chutney and season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Add the yogurt or cream and stir well to combine.
- Serve hot with naan bread, rice, or both.
How do I Serve Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala?
You can serve Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala as a main course, along with some side dishes that complement the flavors and textures of the dish.
Some common side dishes that go well with chicken tikka masala are:
- Naan Bread: Soft and fluffy, perfect for soaking up the sauce. Enhance store-bought or homemade naan with garlic, herbs, or cheese.
- Rice: A staple that complements the masala’s spiciness. Opt for varieties like basmati or jasmine, and consider seasoning with spices such as turmeric or cumin.
- Salad: Introduce freshness with a green salad using lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes. For a richer experience, explore salads like apple walnut or quinoa cranberry.
What do I Serve with Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala?
There are many options for what to serve with Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala, depending on your taste and preference.
Here are some suggestions:
Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Chicken Tikka Masala
Here are some tips from Mary Berry on how to make this chicken tikka masala recipe even better:
- You can adjust the spiciness of this dish by adding more or less chili according to your taste. You can also use chili powder instead of fresh chili if you prefer.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if you like more flavor and texture.
- You can make this dish ahead of time without adding the yogurt or cream. Reheat gently before serving and stir in the yogurt or cream at the end.
- You can freeze this dish without the yogurt or cream for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating and adding the yogurt or cream.
- If you are using an Aga cooker, first soften the onion in the simmering oven for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and return to the same oven for 10 minutes. Continue on the boiling plate.