Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur is a delightful and savory dish, ideal for those who appreciate a fusion of succulent chicken and a rich, herb-infused sauce. This recipe, a classic with a twist from the renowned Hairy Bikers, is not just a meal; it’s a culinary journey through robust flavors and comforting textures. Known for their straightforward yet flavorful recipes, the Hairy Bikers have crafted a Chicken Chasseur that is both simple to prepare and a joy to consume.
In this article, I will walk you through the Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur recipe, offering insights on how to create a dish that balances richness with the delicate flavors of herbs and vegetables.
What is Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur Recipe?
Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur is a delicious and easy recipe inspired by the classic French dish of chicken braised in a rich and flavorful sauce made with white wine, tomatoes, mushrooms, and herbs. It’s also known as “hunter’s chicken” because it was traditionally prepared with game birds by hunters in the countryside. This recipe is from the Hairy Bikers, a duo of British chefs and TV personalities who are famous for their love of hearty and rustic dishes.
Designed to serve 4-6 people, this recipe is perfect for family dinners or casual gatherings.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
The Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur is a beloved recipe for good reason. It’s not just a dish; it’s a culinary delight that brings comfort and flavor to your table. The appeal of this recipe lies in its:
- Ease of Preparation: This recipe breaks down a sophisticated dish into easy steps with minimal ingredients. It’s designed for efficiency and simplicity, making it ideal for busy days or for those new to cooking.
- Comfort Food at Its Best: There’s something undeniably comforting about the rich flavors and aroma of this dish. It’s the kind of meal that feels like a warm hug, perfect for family gatherings or a quiet dinner at home.
- Customizable to Taste: The flexibility of this recipe is part of its charm. You can tailor it to your liking, experimenting with various types of chicken, wine, and vegetables. This adaptability makes it a versatile choice for any cook.
- A Symphony of Flavors: Every bite offers a blend of savory richness with a subtle sweetness, thanks to the tomatoes and wine. The herbs add a layer of sophistication to the sauce, making each mouthful a delightful experience.
- Nutritionally Balanced: With chicken as a lean protein source and the sauce rich in antioxidants and vitamins from tomatoes, mushrooms, and herbs, this dish is as nourishing as it is delicious.
Ingredients Needed to Make Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur
To make this delicious chicken chasseur, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 chicken legs, skin on
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150 g of button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- 300 ml of dry white wine
- 300 ml of chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp of tomato puré
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- 5 g of butter
Instructions to Make Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur – Step by Step Guide
Follow these simple steps to make your chicken chasseur:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and season the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper on both sides.
Step 2: Brown the chicken and set aside
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over high heat.
- Add the chicken legs, skin side down, and cook for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp on both sides.
- Transfer the chicken legs to a plate and set aside. Keep the oil and juices in the casserole dish.
Step 3: Cook the onion, garlic, and mushrooms
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the same casserole dish.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until well combined.
Step 4: Make the sauce
- Gradually stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the dish.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the stock, bay leaves, thyme, and tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Bake the chicken in the sauce
- Return the chicken legs to the casserole dish, along with any juices from the plate.
- Cover the dish with a lid and transfer it to the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
Step 6: Garnish and serve
- Remove the dish from the oven and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the chicken and sauce.
- Dot the butter over the top and let it melt.
- Serve the chicken chasseur hot with mashed potatoes, rice, or crusty bread.
What Do I Serve With Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur?
Pairing the right side dishes with the Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur can enhance the overall dining experience. Consider these options:
- For Soaking Up the Sauce: Mashed potatoes, fluffy rice, or a slice of crusty bread are ideal for enjoying every last drop of the delicious sauce.
- Adding Freshness and Color: Brighten up your plate with green beans, broccoli, or spinach. These vegetables not only add a pop of color but also complement the rich flavors of the chicken.
- Light and Refreshing Sides: A crisp salad, tangy coleslaw, or pickles can balance the hearty nature of the
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur
Here are some pro tips to make your Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur even better:
Elevate your Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur to perfection with these expert tips:
- Selecting the Right Cookware: A large, heavy-bottomed ovenproof casserole dish is essential. This type of dish distributes heat evenly, ensuring the chicken and sauce cook perfectly without burning or sticking.
- Choosing the Best Chicken: Opt for skin-on chicken legs for their natural flavor and texture enhancement. For variation, chicken thighs or breasts can be substituted, but remember to adjust cooking times as these cuts have different thicknesses and cooking requirements.
- Wine Selection for Flavor Depth: The choice of wine can significantly impact the sauce’s flavor. Select a dry white wine that you enjoy drinking. For a richer, more robust sauce, red wine, brandy, or cognac are excellent alternatives, each adding its unique depth and complexity.
- Freshness with Herbs: Fresh herbs like bay leaves, thyme, and parsley are key for adding aromatic freshness to the dish. If using dried herbs, reduce the quantity as they have a more concentrated flavor.
- Richness of the Sauce: Incorporate butter into your sauce for added richness and a glossy sheen. As a healthier option, olive oil can be used, offering a lighter taste while still maintaining the dish’s overall flavor integrity.
Variations of Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur
Personalize the Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur with these variations:
- Poultry Alternatives: Experiment with turkey, duck, or quail for a unique twist on flavor and texture.
- Mushroom Variety: Incorporate different mushrooms like chestnut, oyster, or shiitake to add diverse flavors and textures.
- Vegetable Additions: Enhance the dish with vegetables like carrots, celery, leeks, or peas for added flavor layers.
- Spice Infusion: Introduce spices such as paprika, cumin, or curry for a kick of flavor and heat.
- Cheese for Creaminess: Try different cheeses like Parmesan, Gruyère, or blue cheese to add a creamy, rich element.
How do I store Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur Leftovers?
Preserve the quality of your Chicken Chasseur with these storage and reheating tips:
- Refrigeration: Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months, ensuring it’s labeled with the dish’s name and date.
- Vacuum Sealing: For extended shelf life, use a vacuum sealer bag and store in the fridge or freezer.
How do I reheat Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur Leftovers?
You can reheat Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur leftovers in the following ways:
- In the oven: Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Transfer the leftovers to an ovenproof dish and cover with foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- In the microwave: Transfer the leftovers to a microwave-safe dish and cover with a lid or a damp paper towel. Microwave for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- On the stovetop: Transfer the leftovers to a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Add some water or stock if the sauce is too thick.
Can I Make Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Brown the chicken and sauté the vegetables as per the original recipe, then transfer them to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The slow cooking process helps to intensify the flavors, making the chicken incredibly tender.
How do I make chicken chasseur with crispy skin?
To make chicken chasseur with crispy skin, heat up clarified butter (or a combination of butter with cooking oil) in a cast iron skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and once your pan is hot, add chicken (skin side down) and cook undisturbed for 6-7 minutes, until the skin is nicely browned. Turn and fry on the other side for another 1-2 minutes, then transfer to the oven and bake as instructed.
What kind of wine should I use for chicken chasseur?
You can use any dry white wine that you like to drink, such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Chardonnay. You can also use red wine instead of white wine for a deeper and richer flavor. You can also use brandy or cognac for a touch of elegance.
How Can I Thicken the Sauce if It’s Too Thin?
If your sauce is too thin, you can thicken it by mixing a tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water and stirring this mixture into the sauce. Allow it to simmer for a few minutes until the desired consistency is achieved. Alternatively, you can remove the lid from the casserole dish for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken naturally.
Can This Dish Be Made in Advance and How Should It Be Stored?
Yes, Hairy Bikers Chicken Chasseur can be made in advance. After cooking, let it cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For freezing, place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat gently on the stove or in the oven until thoroughly warmed.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Hairy Bikers chicken chasseur. It’s a simple and satisfying dish that will warm you up on a cold day. It’s also a great way to impress your guests with a taste of French cuisine. Let me know how it turned out for you in the comments below. Bon appétit!