James Martin Broccoli and Stilton Soup is a classic recipe that marries the hearty, green freshness of broccoli with the rich, tangy depth of Stilton cheese, creating a luxurious yet surprisingly simple dish. This soup stands out for its bold flavors and creamy texture, making it a comforting choice for chilly evenings or as a sophisticated starter for dinner parties.
In this article, I will show you how to make James Martin’s Broccoli and Stilton Soup step by step, with tips and tricks along the way.
What is James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup Recipe?
James Martin’s Broccoli and Stilton Soup is a creamy, comforting British dish that combines the earthy flavors of broccoli with the rich, tangy taste of Stilton cheese, served as a warming meal or an elegant starter. This recipe serves 4 people and can be prepared in approximately 30 minutes.
Other Soup Recipes
- Broccoli and Stilton Soup Jamie Oliver
- Delia Smith Broccoli and Stilton Soup
- Jamie Oliver Cauliflower Soup
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe, such as:
- Versatile Ingredients: An excellent way to utilize leftover broccoli or Stilton cheese, making it a practical choice for minimizing waste.
- Vegetarian-Friendly: By opting for vegetable stock and vegetarian Stilton cheese, this recipe caters to vegetarian dietary preferences.
- Dietary Consideration: Gluten-free and low-carb, it suits those following keto or paleo diets.
- Hearty Meal: Offers a fulfilling experience whether served as a main dish or a starter.
- Customizable: Easily adaptable to suit individual taste preferences and dietary needs.
Ingredients Needed to Make James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup
To make James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- 500 grams of broccoli, cut into florets
- 150 grams of Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 100 ml of double cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
Instructions to Make James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup
To make this soup, follow these steps:
What Do I Serve With James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup?
James Martin’s Broccoli and Stilton Soup shine as a standalone dish, yet its flavors are beautifully complemented by a selection of sides.
Here’s how to elevate your meal:
- Crusty Bread Varieties: Enhance your dining experience with a selection of crusty bread like sourdough, baguette, or ciabatta. These bread types are perfect for dipping, allowing you to savor every drop of the soup’s creamy goodness.
- Homemade Croutons: For a touch of crunch, consider homemade croutons. Toss bread cubes with butter, minced garlic, and your choice of herbs in a skillet until golden. This addition introduces an appealing texture contrast to the smooth soup.
- Fresh Salad Options: A fresh salad brings a burst of color and freshness to the meal. Opt for a simple mix of greens or a more elaborate salad featuring nuts, fruits, and a variety of cheeses to complement the soup’s rich flavors.
- Gourmet Sandwich Pairings: Create a more satisfying meal with a gourmet sandwich. Options range from classic cheese and ham to more inventive combinations like chicken and avocado or a veggie hummus sandwich. Serve in bite-sized triangles for easy eating alongside the soup.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup
To make the best Broccoli and Stilton Soup, keep these tips in mind:
- Broccoli Selection: Choose between fresh or frozen broccoli based on what’s available. Fresh broccoli offers superior texture and flavor, while frozen is convenient and cost-effective.
- Stock Over Water: Always opt for vegetable stock instead of water to simmer the broccoli. This simple choice significantly enriches the soup’s flavor profile and nutritional value.
- Quality of Stilton Cheese: The cheese’s quality profoundly affects the soup’s final taste. Opt for high-quality Stilton or explore other blue cheeses like Roquefort or Gorgonzola for variation.
- Creaminess Adjustment: Personalize the soup’s creaminess by adjusting the cheese and cream volumes. For a lighter version, substitute cream with half-and-half, milk, or even yogurt.
- Texture Preference: Blend the soup to your liking. Whether you prefer it utterly smooth or with bits of broccoli and cheese for texture, the choice is yours.
Variations of James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup
Consider these creative twists to refresh the classic Broccoli and Stilton Soup recipe:
- Protein Boost: Incorporate bacon, ham, or chicken for a heartier soup. These can be cooked in the pot from the start or added later as garnish.
- Vegetable Additions: To thicken the soup naturally, add potatoes, carrots, or cauliflower. These can be cooked alongside the broccoli, enriching the soup’s body and nutritional content.
- Flavor Enhancers: Introduce spices, herbs, or lemon for an aromatic lift. Spices like nutmeg or cumin add warmth, while fresh herbs and lemon zest bring brightness and zing.
How do I Store James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup Leftovers?
To store the leftover soup, follow these steps:
- Cool Down: Allow the soup to cool to room temperature after cooking. It’s important not to leave the soup out for too long to avoid bacterial growth.
- Transfer to Containers: Once cooled, ladle the soup into airtight containers. If you’re planning to keep some for more than a couple of days, consider portioning the soup into servings for easier future use.
- Refrigerate or Freeze: Place the containers in the refrigerator if you plan to consume the soup within 3 days. For longer storage, freeze the soup. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months without losing much of its taste or nutritional value.
- Labeling: Label each container with the soup’s name and the date it was stored. This helps in tracking its shelf life and ensures you use the oldest stocks first.
How do I Reheat James Martin Broccoli And Stilton Soup Leftovers?
To enjoy your stored soup just as much as when it was freshly made, follow these reheating guidelines:
- Thawing (If Frozen): If the soup is frozen, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. For a quicker thaw, place the container in the microwave and use the defrost setting for a few minutes until the soup is partially thawed.
- Stovetop Reheating: Pour the soup into a pot and warm it over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and ensure even heating. If the soup seems too thick, you can thin it by adding a little vegetable stock or water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Microwave Reheating: Transfer the soup to a microwave-safe bowl if you’re reheating a single serving. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute to ensure even warming. Again, adjust the thickness with a bit of stock or water if necessary.
- Taste and Adjust: Before serving, taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed. Reheating can sometimes mute flavors, so a pinch of salt or pepper might be necessary to bring the soup back to its original taste profile.
Nutrition value (per serving):
- Calories: 320 kcal
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sodium: 600 mg
- Calcium: 200 mg
Can I use frozen broccoli for James Martin’s Broccoli and Stilton Soup?
Yes, frozen broccoli is a suitable and convenient alternative to fresh broccoli in this recipe. It can save preparation time and offers a similar taste and nutritional value once cooked.
How can I make this soup vegetarian?
To make James Martin’s Broccoli and Stilton Soup vegetarian, ensure that you use a vegetable stock and check that the Stilton cheese (or any blue cheese used) is made without animal rennet. Many cheeses have vegetarian alternatives available.
What can I use instead of Stilton cheese?
If Stilton cheese is not available, you can substitute it with other blue cheeses like Gorgonzola, Roquefort, or Danish Blue. Each cheese will bring a unique flavor to the soup, so choose based on your taste preference.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make James Martin’s Broccoli and Stilton Soup. This is a delicious and easy recipe, that you can make in no time, with minimal ingredients and effort. It’s a perfect soup for any occasion, whether you want to impress your guests, treat yourself, or use up some leftovers.
If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family, and leave a comment below. I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions. Thank you for reading, and happy cooking!