If you are looking for a delicious and easy soup recipe that will warm you up on a cold day, look no further than Delia Smith’s broccoli and stilton soup. This soup is creamy, rich, and full of flavor, thanks to the combination of fresh broccoli and tangy stilton cheese. It’s also very simple to make, with only a few ingredients and steps.
In this article, I will show you how to make Delia Smith’s broccoli and stilton soup in a complete step-by-step guide.
You will learn:
- What ingredients do you need for this recipe
- How to prepare the broccoli and the cheese
- How to cook the soup and blend it
- How to serve and enjoy the soup
What is Delia Smith Broccoli and Stilton Soup?
Delia Smith broccoli and stilton soup is a creamy and flavorful soup made with fresh broccoli and stilton cheese. Her broccoli and stilton soup is one of her classic dishes that is perfect for a cozy and satisfying meal.
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe.
Here are some of them:
- It’s easy to make. You only need a few ingredients and steps to make this soup. You don’t need any fancy equipment or skills, just a saucepan, a blender, and a knife.
- It’s delicious. The soup has a rich and creamy texture, with a hint of tanginess from the cheese. The broccoli adds some freshness and crunch, while the onion and potato add some sweetness and body. The soup is well-seasoned with salt, pepper, and parsley or chives for some color and flavor.
- It’s nutritious. The soup is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the broccoli and the cheese. It’s also low in calories and carbs, but high in protein and calcium. It’s a great way to get your greens and dairy in one bowl.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe
To make Delia Smith’s broccoli and stilton soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 850 ml (1 1/2 pints) chicken or vegetable stock
- 450 g (1 lb) broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 150 g (5 oz) stilton cheese, crumbled
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley or chives, chopped, for garnish (optional)
You can use any type of stilton cheese for this recipe, but I recommend using a mature one for more flavor. You can also substitute it with another blue cheese, such as Roquefort or Gorgonzola, if you prefer.
Instruction to Make Delia Smith Broccoli and Stilton Soup
How to prepare the broccoli and the cheese
Before you start cooking the soup, you need to prepare the broccoli and the cheese.
- Wash the broccoli well under cold running water and drain it.
- Cut off the tough stems and discard them. Cut the rest of the broccoli into small florets. You should have about 450 g (1 lb) of florets.
- Crumble the stilton cheese with your fingers or a fork. You should have about 150 g (5 oz) of cheese.
How to cook the soup and blend it
Now that you have prepared the broccoli and the cheese, you can start cooking the soup.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion and potato. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potato is tender.
- Add the broccoli florets and simmer for another 10 minutes, until they are bright green and tender.
- Turn off the heat and add the stilton cheese. Stir well until the cheese melts into the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree it until smooth. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender.
How to serve and enjoy the soup
Your soup is now ready to serve and enjoy. Here’s how:
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and garnish with some chopped parsley or chives if you like.
- Serve with some crusty bread or croutons for dipping.
- Enjoy your delicious Delia Smith’s broccoli and stilton soup!
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Delia Smith Broccoli and Stilton Soup
To make the best Delia Smith broccoli and stilton soup, here are some pro tips to follow:
- Use fresh broccoli. Frozen broccoli may be convenient, but it can make the soup watery and bland. Fresh broccoli has more flavor and texture, and it will retain its bright green color better.
- Use mature stilton cheese. Mature stilton cheese has more flavor and aroma than young stilton cheese. It will also melt more easily into the soup, creating a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Don’t overcook the broccoli. Overcooking the broccoli will make it lose its color, flavor, and nutrients. Cook it just until it’s tender, but still crisp. You can test it by piercing it with a fork or a knife.
- Don’t overblend the soup. Overblending the soup will make it too thin and frothy. Blend it just until it’s smooth, but still has some texture. You can leave some small chunks of broccoli or cheese if you like.
How do I store Delia Smith Broccoli and Stilton Soup Leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of Delia Smith broccoli and stilton soup, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to let the soup cool completely before storing it.
How do I reheat Delia Smith Broccoli and Stilton Soup Leftovers?
To reheat Delia Smith broccoli and stilton soup leftovers, you can use either the microwave or the stove.
- To reheat in the microwave, transfer the soup to a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with a lid or a plate. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring halfway through, until hot.
- To reheat on the stove, transfer the soup to a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.
You may need to add some water or stock if the soup is too thick after reheating.
What kind of cheese can I use instead of stilton?
You can use any other blue cheese, such as Roquefort or Gorgonzola, if you prefer. You can also use a milder cheese, such as cheddar or cream cheese, but the flavor will be less intense.
How can I make this soup vegan?
You can make this soup vegan by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and using a plant-based cream and cheese alternative. You can also omit the cheese altogether and add some nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- Related: Hairy Bikers Leek and Potato Soup
Can I freeze this soup for later?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool the soup completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. Leave some space for expansion and seal well. To reheat, thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight and then heat it in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Delia Smith’s broccoli and stilton soup is a delicious and easy soup recipe that you can make in less than an hour. It’s creamy, rich, and full of flavor, thanks to the fresh broccoli and the tangy stilton cheese. It’s also nutritious and low in calories, but high in protein and calcium. You can serve it with some bread or croutons for a cozy and satisfying meal. You can also store it in the refrigerator or freezer for later.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Delia Smith’s broccoli and stilton soup in a complete step-by-step guide.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave them in the comments below. Thank you for reading