Curried parsnip soup is a delicious and warming dish that is perfect for the cold weather. It is easy to make, vegan-friendly, and full of flavor. You can enjoy it as a starter or a main course, with some crusty bread or rice.
This recipe is inspired by the famous chef James Martin, who is known for his simple and tasty dishes. He uses fresh ingredients, spices, and coconut milk to create a creamy and rich soup that will satisfy your taste buds.
In this article, I will show you how to make James Martin curried parsnip soup in a few simple steps. You will also learn some tips and tricks to make it even better.
Let’s get started!
What is James Martin Curried Parsnip Soup?
James Martin curried parsnip soup is a soup made with parsnips, onion, garlic, curry powder, cumin seeds, vegetable stock, and coconut milk. It is inspired by the famous chef James Martin, who is known for his simple and tasty dishes. The soup has a creamy and smooth texture and a warm and fragrant flavor. It is vegan-friendly and gluten-free and can be enjoyed as a starter or a main course.
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe.
Here are some of them:
- It is easy to make. You only need a few ingredients and a blender to make this soup. It takes less than an hour to prepare and cook.
- It is delicious. The parsnips have a sweet and nutty flavor that goes well with the curry spices. The coconut milk adds a creamy and rich taste that balances the spiciness. The fresh coriander leaves add some freshness and color.
- It is healthy. The soup is low in calories and fat, but high in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. It also has anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits from the spices and the coconut milk.
- It is versatile. You can customize the soup according to your preference. You can add more or less garlic, curry powder, or coconut milk. You can also add other vegetables, spices, proteins, or toppings to make it more filling and nutritious.
James Martin Curried Parsnip Soup Ingredients
To make this soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil – This will help you sauté the onion and garlic, and add some moisture to the soup.
- 1 onion, chopped – Onion adds a nice sweetness and depth of flavor to the soup.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed – Garlic adds a nice aroma and a bit of spice to the soup. You can use more or less garlic depending on your preference.
- 1 tsp of curry powder – Curry powder is a blend of various spices, such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili. It gives the soup a lovely yellow color and a warm and fragrant taste. You can use any type of curry powder, such as mild, medium, or hot.
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds – Cumin seeds add a nutty and earthy flavor to the soup. They also help with digestion and have anti-inflammatory properties.
- 500 g of parsnips, peeled and chopped – Parsnips are the star ingredient of this soup. They are root vegetables that look like white carrots. They have a sweet and nutty flavor that goes well with the curry spices.
- 1 liter of vegetable stock – Vegetable stock adds some liquid and flavor to the soup. You can use homemade or store-bought stock, or water with a stock cube or powder.
- 400 ml of coconut milk – Coconut milk adds a creamy and smooth texture to the soup. It also balances the spiciness of the curry powder and adds a subtle sweetness. You can use full-fat or light coconut milk, depending on how rich you want your soup to be.
- Salt and pepper – Season the soup to your taste.
- Fresh coriander leaves – To garnish the soup and add some freshness and color.
To make this soup, you will need the following equipment:
- A large pot – To cook the onion, garlic, spices, parsnips, stock, and coconut milk together.
- A blender – To puree the soup until smooth and creamy. You can use a hand blender or a stand blender.
- A ladle – To serve the soup in bowls.
- A chopping board and a knife – To chop the onion, garlic, and parsnips.
Instructions to Make James Martin Curried Parsnip Soup
To make this soup, follow these instructions:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Add the curry powder and cumin seeds and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add the parsnips and stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and bring back to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup cool slightly. Then transfer it to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Return the soup to the pot and reheat if needed. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Enjoy your James Martin curried parsnip soup!