What is James Martin Turkey and Ham Pie?
James Martin Turkey and Ham Pie is a savory, hearty pie made with a combination of cooked turkey and ham enveloped in a creamy, flavorful sauce with onions, garlic, and herbs, and encased in a flaky puff pastry crust. It’s a comforting dish often made to use up holiday leftovers, turning them into a delicious meal that warms and satisfies.
This recipe serves 6-8 people and can be prepared in approximately 2 hours, including baking time.
Other Turkey Cooking Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
- Utilizes Leftovers: Perfect for using up leftover turkey and ham.
- Comforting: Warm, hearty, and ideal for cold days.
- Versatile: Easily adaptable with different meats or additions.
- Simple to Make: Straightforward instructions and common ingredients.
- Crowd Pleaser: Loved by adults and kids alike for its familiar and satisfying taste.
What You Need to Make James Martin Turkey and Ham Pie
To make this pie, you will need the following ingredients:
For the filling:
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml chicken stock
- 150ml double cream
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 300g cooked turkey, shredded
- 200g cooked ham, chopped
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
For the pastry:
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
You will also need a 23cm pie dish and a rolling pin.
Instructions to Make James Martin Turkey and Ham Pie
Follow these steps to make the pie:
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. This will ensure that the pie bakes evenly and quickly.
Step 2: Make the Filling
To make the filling, you will need to do the following:
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, to make a roux. This will help thicken the sauce later.
- Gradually whisk in the stock and cream, stirring well to avoid any lumps. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Stir in the mustard, salt, pepper, turkey, ham, and parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Step 3: Spoon the Filling into the Pie Dish
Spoon the filling into a 23cm pie dish and spread it evenly. Leave some space around the edges for the pastry. This will prevent the pastry from sinking into the filling.
Step 4: Make the Pastry
To make the pastry, you will need to do the following:
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 3mm. Cut out a circle that is slightly larger than the pie dish. You can use the dish as a guide and cut around it with a knife.
- Brush the edges of the pie dish with some of the beaten egg. This will help the pastry stick to the dish and seal the pie.
- Place the pastry circle over the filling and press the edges to seal. Trim off any excess pastry and crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers. This will give the pie a nice shape and texture.
- Cut a small slit in the center of the pastry to allow steam to escape. This will prevent the pastry from puffing up too much and cracking.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you like. This will give the pie a golden and crunchy crust.
Step 5: Bake the Pie
Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp. You can check the doneness of the pie by inserting a knife or a skewer into the center and seeing if it comes out clean.
Step 6: Let the Pie Rest and Serve
Let the pie rest for 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the filling to set and the pastry to cool slightly. Enjoy your delicious turkey and ham pie with your favorite sides or on its own. Bon appetit!
What Do I Serve With James Martin Turkey and Ham Pie
Complement your pie with these sides for a complete and satisfying meal:
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy and smooth, they pair perfectly with the pie.
- Green Beans: For a fresh, crunchy side.
- Gravy: Extra sauce for those who love a moist pie.
- Green Salad: A light, crisp contrast to the hearty pie.
- Cranberry Sauce: For a sweet tang that cuts through the creaminess.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect James Martin Turkey and Ham Pie
Enhance your pie with these professional tips for a flawless finish:
- Golden Onions: Cook onions until golden for a sweet flavor base.
- Thickening Right: Ensure the roux is well-cooked before adding liquids.
- Seal the Edges: Prevent leaks by firmly sealing pastry edges.
- Egg Wash: Brush pastry with egg for a shiny, golden finish.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the pie to rest to set the filling.
Nutrition value per serving:
- Calories: 669 kcal
- Fat: 40 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1010 mg
- Cholesterol: 147 mg
How can I make the sauce thicker or thinner?
If you find the sauce too thin, you can add more flour to the roux in step 3, or simmer it longer in step 4 until it reaches your desired consistency. If you find the sauce too thick, you can add more stock or cream to thin it out in step 5, or use less flour in the roux.
Can I use a different type of pastry for the pie?
Yes, you can use any type of pastry that you like or have on hand, such as shortcrust, filo, or even store-bought pie crust. Just make sure to adjust the baking time and temperature according to the pastry instructions. You can also skip the pastry altogether and make a mashed potato topping instead, like a shepherd’s pie.
James Martin turkey and ham pie is a perfect way to use up your leftover meat and make a cozy and satisfying dish for your family and friends. It is easy to make, with a creamy and flavorful filling and a flaky and golden pastry. You can customize it with your favorite ingredients and serve it with your preferred sides. It is also great for making ahead and freezing for later.