Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken is a modern twist on the classic British dish, known for its unique blend of creamy, spiced sauce and tender chicken. It combines the succulence of poached or roasted chicken with the exotic flavors of curry spices, smoothed out with mayonnaise and yogurt, and often sweetened with dried fruits. This dish is a delightful fusion of textures and tastes, offering a contemporary homage to the culinary heritage of the United Kingdom.
In this article, I’ll provide a guide to creating Jamie Oliver’s Coronation Chicken, highlighting the key flavors and ingredients that make this dish a standout.
Are you ready to try this amazing dish?
Let’s get started!
What is Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken?
Jamie Oliver coronation chicken is a modern twist on a classic British dish that was created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. It consists of roasted chicken in a spiced dressing with yogurt and pineapple, served with pickled cucumber, pomegranate, lettuce, and poppadoms. It is a delicious and easy dish that is perfect for a summer picnic or a street party.
Typically serving 4-6 people, Jamie Oliver’s version of Coronation Chicken is relatively simple to prepare, making it a fantastic option for picnics, lunches, or as an elegant party dish.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
This recipe is a flavorful and healthy delight, known for its ease and adaptability in the kitchen.
Here are the specific reasons it will quickly become a cherished favorite:
- Resourceful and Festive: Transform leftover chicken into a special meal that’s perfect for any festive occasion.
- Taste Bud Delight: The balance of sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors will tantalize and satisfy your taste buds with every bite.
- Nutritious and Wholesome: Packed with fresh ingredients like ginger, garlic, chili, and more, it’s a dish that’s as healthy as it is delicious.
- Creativity at Its Best: Adapt the recipe to your liking, experimenting with different curry pastes, nuts, fruits, or salad ingredients for a personalized touch.
- Convenience and Fun: Enjoy the ease and fun of preparation by marinating the chicken ahead of time and combining all elements in one go.
Ingredients Needed to Make Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken
To make Jamie Oliver coronation chicken recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 5 cm piece of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 – 2 fresh red chillies
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (30g)
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- olive oil
- 1 x 1.8kg free-range whole chicken
- 4 red onions
- 1 x 435g tin of pineapple slices in juice
- 4 heaped tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 little gem lettuce
- 1 cucumber
- 2 poppadoms
Instructions to Make Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken
Here are the step-by-step instructions to make Jamie Oliver coronation chicken recipe:
Step 1: Marinate the chicken
- Peel and finely grate the ginger and garlic, trim and finely slice the chilies and coriander stalks (putting the leaves aside for later), then place in a large roasting tray with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon, mix in the curry paste and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then sit the chicken in the tray and rub all over with the marinade, making sure you go inside the cavity for maximum flavor.
- Pierce 1 lemon all over, then microwave on high (800W) for 45 seconds and place inside the cavity.
- Peel the onions and slice into wedges, separating them into petals, then add to the roasting tray.
- Sit the chicken back on top breast-side down, then cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for up to 12 hours, or follow the next step to cook straight away.
Step 2: Roast the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Drain the tinned pineapple (keeping its juice for later).
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, carefully turning over with tongs and adding the pineapple to the tray halfway, then remove the chicken to a board to rest for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Make the dressing
- Once the time’s up on the chicken, remove the jammy lemon from the cavity, then squeeze half the juice into the tray of roasted onions and pineapple, discarding any pips.
- Stir in the yoghurt and a splash of the reserved pineapple juice.
- Shred and add the chicken, putting the skin aside for later and discarding any bones or wobbly bits, then toss together, scraping up any sticky bits from the bottom of the tray.
Step 4: Toast the chicken skin and almonds
- Place the chicken skin in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and cook for 3 minutes, or until the fat has rendered out and the skin is crisp, then roughly chop.
- Toast the flaked almonds in the hot pan.
Step 5: Prepare the salad
- Halve the pomegranate and, holding one-half cut-side down in your fingers, bash the back of it with a spoon so all the seeds tumble into the bowl.
- Cut the lettuce into wedges and arrange on a large platter.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out and discard the seeds, then finely slice and add to a small bowl with a pinch of salt and the juice of ½ a lemon. Toss to coat, then scatter over the lettuce.
Step 6: Serve the coronation chicken
- Spoon the coronation chicken over the lettuce and cucumber, then sprinkle over the crispy chicken skin, toasted almonds, pomegranate seeds, and coriander leaves.
- Break up the poppadoms and serve alongside, or use them to scoop up the chicken.
What Do I Serve With Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken?
Choosing the right accompaniments can elevate this dish from delightful to extraordinary.
Here’s how you can enhance the flavors and textures of Jamie Oliver’s Coronation Chicken with the perfect pairings:
- Poppadoms: These crispy Indian breads are the ideal vehicle for the rich and creamy chicken, adding a delightful crunch.
- Fragrant Basmati Rice: Enhance your meal with the aromatic pleasures of basmati rice flavored with spices, offering a subtle and exquisite taste.
- Warm Naan Bread: Soft and fluffy, naan bread brushed with butter, garlic, and coriander complements the chicken’s robust flavors.
- Savory Chutney: A spoonful of sweet and spicy chutney can add a flavorful depth and zing to each mouthful.
- Fresh Salad: Lighten the meal with a fresh, crisp salad dressed in a tangy lemon vinaigrette, providing a refreshing contrast to the rich chicken.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken
To elevate your culinary experience with Jamie Oliver’s Coronation Chicken, it’s essential to focus on the nuances of preparation, cooking, and presentation.
Here are refined tips to ensure your dish is a resounding success:
- Marinade Mastery: For maximum flavor infusion, thoroughly rub the marinade all over and inside the chicken cavity. Consider scoring the skin to enhance marinade penetration.
- Precision Cooking: Ensure the chicken is perfectly cooked by using a meat thermometer; the internal temperature should reach at least 75°C/165°F.
- Resting Ritual: Allow the chicken to rest for 30 minutes after cooking to retain moisture and ensure every piece is juicy and tender.
- Crisp to Perfection: Toast the chicken skin and almonds in a hot pan until they are deliciously crisp, adding a satisfying texture to the dish.
Variations of Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken
When it comes to Jamie Oliver’s Coronation Chicken, the possibilities for customization are endless, allowing you to adapt the dish to suit your taste preferences or dietary needs:
- Meat Selection: Choose between using whole chicken, breasts, or thighs based on your preference and adjust cooking times accordingly for a perfectly cooked outcome.
- Curry Paste Choices: Experiment with various types of curry pastes or create your own blend to control the spice level and flavor profile.
- Fruity Twists: Opt for fresh pineapple or try orange juice and zest for a citrusy twist on the traditional recipe.
- Dressing Options: Experiment with different dressings by using sour cream, crème fraîche, or mayonnaise for a richer flavor and add sweetness or tang with honey, mustard, or mango chutney.
- Nut Varieties: Swap almonds for other nuts like pistachios, cashews, or peanuts or add texture with toasted coconut flakes or sesame seeds.
- Greens and Bread: Choose from various types of lettuce or serve with naan bread, flatbread, or rice instead of poppadoms, tailoring the dish to your liking.
How do I store Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken Leftovers?
Keeping your Coronation Chicken fresh and delicious for later is all about proper storage.
Here are some methods to ensure your leftovers stay as tantalizing as they were when first made:
- In the Fridge: Place chicken and dressing in separate airtight containers to maintain freshness for up to 3 days. Store salad components separately to keep them crisp and combine them when you’re ready to serve.
- In the Freezer: For longer storage, freeze the chicken and dressing in freezer-safe containers or ziplock bags for up to 3 months. Freeze poppadoms separately but avoid freezing salad ingredients to preserve their freshness and texture.
- In the Lunchbox: For a tasty and healthy lunch on the go, pack the chicken and dressing in a leak-proof container, and take the salad ingredients and poppadoms in separate containers. Consider making sandwiches or wraps with the chicken for a convenient and satisfying meal.
How do I reheat Jamie Oliver Coronation Chicken Leftovers?
Reheating your Coronation Chicken correctly is crucial for enjoying it as much as the first time.
Here’s how you can bring back the warmth and freshness:
- In the Oven: Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Place the chicken and dressing in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Reheat poppadoms for about 5 minutes or until they regain their crispness.
- In the Microwave: For a quick reheat, put the chicken and dressing in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a damp paper towel, and heat for 2-3 minutes or until hot, stirring halfway through. Poppadoms can be reheated for 10-15 seconds or until crisp.
- On the Stove: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken and dressing. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is hot and bubbly. Poppadoms can be toasted in a dry skillet for a few seconds on each side until crisp.
Nutrition per serving:
- Calories: 540 kcal
- Fat: 34.9 g
- Saturates: 10.4 g
- Sugars: 13.4 g
- Salt: 1.7 g
- Protein: 38.8 g
- Carbs: 19.5 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
Can Coronation Chicken be made in advance?
Yes, Coronation Chicken is an excellent make-ahead dish. The flavors actually develop and meld together nicely when left to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Just ensure it’s stored in an airtight container and consumed within 1-2 days.
How do I make the chicken more tender and juicy?
You can steam the chicken instead of boiling or roasting it, as this will help retain the moisture and flavor. You can also rub some olive oil and lemon zest over the chicken before steaming, and add some spices and ginger to the water for extra aroma and taste. Make sure you let the chicken rest for 30 minutes before shredding it, to keep it moist and juicy.
How do I make the dressing more spicy or mild?
To adjust the spice level of the dressing, add more curry paste, chili, or Tabasco sauce for extra heat, or reduce these ingredients for a milder taste. Try various curry pastes, like tikka masala for mildness or madras for intensity. For balance, mix in some honey, mustard, or mango chutney to smooth out the flavors.
How do I make the salad more crunchy and fresh?
To make your salad crunchier and fresher, try adding toasted nuts like almonds or cashews. Mix in some fresh fruits such as mango or apple for sweetness and color. Use a mix of crispy lettuce like romaine or iceberg and toss in some cherry tomatoes, avocado, or radishes for varied textures and flavors.
How do I make the poppadoms more crisp and light?
For crispier and lighter poppadoms, you can quickly reheat them in the oven or microwave just before serving, ensuring they regain their crunch.
If you’re up for a culinary project, try making homemade poppadoms using chickpea flour, water, salt, and oil, and personalize them with your favorite spices like cumin, turmeric, or coriander. This will give you fresh, flavorful, and perfectly crisp poppadoms to complement your meal.
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to make Jamie Oliver coronation chicken recipe, step by step. This is a delicious and easy dish that is perfect for a summer picnic or a street party. It is a modern twist on a classic British recipe, with a spicy and fruity dressing, and a crunchy and fresh salad. It is also a great way to use up leftover chicken or to make a special meal for a festive occasion.
If you try this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions. And if you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family, who might also enjoy this dish.
Thank you for reading, and happy cooking!