Sausage rolls are one of the most popular snacks in the UK. They are easy to make, delicious, and perfect for any occasion. Whether you want to serve them as a party appetizer, a picnic treat, or a cozy lunch, you can’t go wrong with these pastry-wrapped sausages.
In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry sausage rolls step by step. I will also share some tips and tricks to make them even better.
Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Sausage Rolls?
Mary Berry sausage rolls are a classic British snack that consists of puff pastry wrapped around a filling of sausage meat, cheese, and herbs. They are baked until golden and crisp and can be enjoyed hot or cold. They are named after Mary Berry, a famous British cook and author, who has a simple and delicious recipe for them.
Must Try Recipes:
Why You Love this Recipe
Discover the Delights of Mary Berry’s Sausage Rolls
- Effortless and Swift: Revel in the simplicity of this recipe, which calls for just five ingredients and uses convenient ready-made puff pastry.
- Tailored to Your Palate: Embrace the versatility of these sausage rolls. Feel free to experiment with a variety of sausage meats, cheeses, and herbs, customizing each batch to your specific taste.
- A Comforting Treat: Indulge in the flaky, buttery bliss of the pastry paired with the juicy, rich flavors of the filling – a true comfort food experience.
- Ideal for Every Occasion: Whether hosting a party, enjoying a picnic, or simply looking for a satisfying lunch option, these sausage rolls are a perfect fit. Plus, they’re great for preparing ahead of time and can be easily frozen for future enjoyment.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Sausage Rolls
To make Mary Berry sausage rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 g (1 lb) of ready-made puff pastry
- 450 g (1 lb) of good-quality sausage meat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
You will also need the following equipment:
- A large baking sheet
- A sharp knife
- A rolling pin
- A pastry brush
- A fork
- A small bowl
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Sausage Rolls
Here are the steps to make Mary Berry sausage rolls:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the baking sheet
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (200°C fan, gas mark 7).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Mix the sausage filling
- In a large bowl, mix the sausage meat, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper together.
- Use your hands to combine everything well.
Step 3: Roll out and cut the puff pastry
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle, about 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick.
- Cut it into two long strips, each about 15 cm (6 inches) wide.
Step 4: Shape and place the sausage filling
- Divide the sausage mixture into two equal portions and shape each one into a long sausage, about the same length as the pastry strips.
- Place one sausage on top of each pastry strip, leaving some space at the edges.
Step 5: Seal and crimp the pastry
- Brush the edges of the pastry with some beaten egg and fold the pastry over the sausage, pressing the edges to seal.
- Cut off any excess pastry and crimp the edges with a fork.
Step 6: Cut and glaze the sausage rolls
- Cut each pastry roll into 8 equal pieces and place them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them.
- Make some small cuts on the top of each sausage roll with a sharp knife and brush them with more beaten egg.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top if you like.
Step 7: Bake and serve the sausage rolls
- Bake the sausage rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer them to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Sausage Rolls?
Mary Berry sausage rolls are great on their own, but you can also serve them with some accompaniments, such as:
- Ketchup, mustard, or chutney, for dipping or spreading.
- Salad, soup, or chips, for a complete meal.
- Tea, coffee, or juice, for a refreshing drink.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Sausage Rolls
Here are some pro tips to make your sausage rolls even better:
- Select High-Quality Sausage Meat: Opt for premium sausage meat from a trusted butcher or local farm. For a more personalized touch, mix your own sausage meat with minced pork, herbs, and seasonings.
- Evenly Roll Out Pastry: Roll the puff pastry to an even thickness, trimming excess for optimal puffing and to prevent a soggy or doughy texture.
- Egg Wash for a Shine: Brush the rolls with beaten egg before baking. This not only helps in sealing the pastry but also imparts a golden, glossy finish. Sesame seeds can be sprinkled for added texture and flavor.
- Monitor Baking Time: Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Be vigilant to prevent overbaking, which can lead to dryness or burning.
- Cool Properly: Allow the rolls to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes after baking. This helps maintain crispness and prevents the bottom from becoming soggy.
- Adjust Seasonings: Experiment with different seasonings and herbs in the sausage mixture to find your preferred flavor balance.
- Prevent Filling from Drying Out: To keep the sausage filling moist and flavorful, consider adding a small amount of apple or onion finely minced into the mixture.
- Size Matters: For uniform cooking, ensure that all your sausage rolls are of similar size and thickness.
Variations of Mary Berry Sausage Rolls
Explore Exciting Twists on a Classic Recipe
- Enhance with Additional Ingredients: Elevate the texture and flavor by adding ingredients like chopped bacon, mushrooms, or spinach into the sausage mixture.
- Cheese Varieties: Experiment with different cheeses such as mozzarella, feta, or blue cheese to add varying degrees of meltiness and flavor profiles.
- Herbal Aromatics: Introduce a range of aromas and fresh tastes by incorporating herbs like sage, rosemary, or oregano.
- Pastry Options: For a different culinary experience, try using various types of pastry such as shortcrust, filo, or croissant dough, each offering a unique texture and shape to your sausage rolls.
How do I store Mary Berry Sausage Rolls Leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To prevent them from sticking together, you can separate them with parchment paper or wax paper.
How do I reheat Mary Berry Sausage Rolls Leftovers?
To reheat the sausage rolls, you can either:
- Microwave Method: For a quick warm-up, microwave the sausage rolls for a few seconds until warm. Note that this method might soften the pastry.
- Oven-Baking: Reheat in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4) for 10 to 15 minutes. This method best preserves the pastry’s flakiness and crunch but watch to avoid drying out the filling.
- Air-Frying: An excellent alternative to oven-baking, air-fry the sausage rolls for 5 to 10 minutes at 180°C. It’s quicker and uses less oil, ideal for achieving a crisp texture.
- Toaster Oven: For small batches, a toaster oven is effective. Reheat at a medium setting for about 5 to 10 minutes, checking periodically for desired crispness.
- Pan-Frying: For added crispness, lightly pan-fry the rolls over medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side, especially if the pastry has softened.
Nutrition value per serving (based on 6 servings):
- Calories: 492 kcal
- Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 546 mg
- Cholesterol: 80 mg
- Calcium: 97 mg
- Iron: 2 mg
Can I make Mary Berry sausage rolls in advance?
Yes, you can prepare Mary Berry sausage rolls ahead of time. You can assemble them and store them uncooked in the refrigerator for up to a day, or freeze them for longer storage. If you choose to freeze them, you don’t need to thaw before baking; simply adjust the baking time accordingly.
What can I use as a substitute for pork in Mary Berry sausage rolls?
If you prefer not to use pork, you can substitute it with an equal amount of ground chicken, turkey, or beef. For a vegetarian option, consider using a mixture of lentils, mushrooms, and breadcrumbs, seasoned similarly to sausage meat.
How do I know when the sausage rolls are done baking?
Mary Berry sausage rolls are done when the pastry is golden brown and puffed up, and the filling is cooked through. The internal temperature of the sausage meat should reach at least 160°F (71°C) if you want to check with a meat thermometer.
Can I add other ingredients to the sausage roll filling?
Absolutely! You can customize the filling by adding ingredients like grated cheese, finely chopped vegetables (like spinach, mushrooms, or bell peppers), or different herbs and spices. This is a great way to experiment with flavors and make the recipe your own.
How do I make vegetarian sausage rolls?
You can make vegetarian sausage rolls by replacing the sausage meat with a mixture of roasted red peppers, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and basil. You can follow the same steps as the meat version, but bake them for 15 to 18 minutes instead of 12 to 15 minutes.
How do I make filo sausage rolls?
You can make filo sausage rolls by using a filo pastry instead of puff pastry. You can brush each layer of filo with melted butter and wrap it around the sausage filling. You can also add some gorgonzola cheese and heavy cream to the filling for extra richness.
How do I choose the best sausage meat for sausage rolls?
You can choose the best sausage meat for sausage rolls by looking for good-quality sausage meat, preferably from a butcher or a local farm. You can also make your own sausage meat by mixing minced pork with seasonings and breadcrumbs.
Mary Berry sausage rolls are a classic and delicious snack that you can make at home with ease. They are crispy, juicy, and full of flavor. They are perfect for any occasion, from parties to picnics to lunches. You can customize them with your favorite sausage meat and seasonings, make them ahead of time, and freeze them for later. They are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Mary Berry sausage rolls step by step. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy baking!