Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes are delicious, moist, and fluffy cupcakes with a creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. They are easy to make, versatile, and perfect for any occasion.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes and can be prepared in about 40 minutes.
In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes step by step, with tips and tricks along the way.
What are Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes?
Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes are a classic, light, and fluffy dessert topped with a creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. Originating from British baker Mary Berry, these cupcakes are celebrated for their simplicity and delightful flavor. Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes are one of her signature recipes, featured in her book Mary Berry’s Baking Bible.
Other Cake Recipes to Try
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Mary Berry’s Vanilla Cupcakes are a testament to the beauty of classic baking.
- Simple and Quick: With a straightforward method requiring basic kitchen tools, these cupcakes are a breeze to make.
- Adaptable: The recipe allows for customization, encouraging you to experiment with flavors and toppings.
- Versatile: Suitable for any event, they can elevate a simple gathering or add sweetness to a special celebration.
- Delicious: The perfect texture and taste of these cupcakes, paired with the buttery frosting, make them a satisfying treat.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes
To make Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes, you will need the following ingredients:
- 175 g (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175 g (6 oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175 g (6 oz) self-raising flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the vanilla buttercream frosting, you will need:
- 175 g (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 350 g (12 oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
You will also need:
- 12 paper cupcake cases
- A 12-hole muffin tin
- A large piping bag
- A star-shaped nozzle
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe
To make these cupcakes, follow these steps:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4).
- Line the muffin tin with the paper cupcake cases.
Step 2: Make the batter
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract, and whisk until well combined and smooth. The batter should be thick and creamy.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake cases, filling them about two-thirds full.
Step 3: Bake the cupcakes
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let them cool completely before frosting.
Step 4: Make the frosting
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until soft and smooth.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition, until the frosting is thick and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk, and beat until well combined and smooth. The frosting should be soft and pipeable.
- Spoon the frosting into the piping bag fitted with the star-shaped nozzle.
Step 5: Decorate the cupcakes
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl pattern, starting from the outside and moving inwards.
- You can add some sprinkles, edible flowers, or other decorations of your choice on top of the frosting if you like.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes?
To elevate your Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes, consider these delightful serving ideas:
- Classic Enjoyment: Serve the cupcakes in their pure form to savor the exquisite balance of flavors.
- Add a Twist: Accompany with fresh fruits, a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of ice cream for an extra layer of indulgence.
- Perfect Pairings: Complement the cupcakes with tea, coffee, milk, or juice to suit any taste preference.
- Freshness Note: While these cupcakes are ideally enjoyed fresh on the day of baking, they can be stored and gently reheated, maintaining their delightful taste and texture.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes
Achieving perfection in your Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes is within reach with these tips:
- Ingredient Temperature: Use butter and eggs at room temperature to ensure a smooth, well-integrated batter that bakes into airy cupcakes.
- Mixing Technique: Mix the batter just enough to combine the ingredients homogeneously, avoiding overmixing to prevent a dense texture.
- Filling Guidance: Fill the cupcake cases two-thirds full to allow room for the perfect rise, avoiding overflow and misshapen cupcakes.
- Baking Discipline: Keep the oven door closed during baking to prevent temperature drops that can affect the cupcakes’ rise. A skewer test towards the end of baking ensures doneness without disturbing the baking process.
- Cooling Patience: Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before applying the frosting to avoid melting and ensure a beautifully finished product.
- Decorating Tips: Employ a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle for a professional finish, or opt for a spatula for a rustic charm.
Variations of Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes
Unleash your creativity and personalize your cupcakes with these variations:
- Flavorful Add-Ins: Enrich the batter with chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruits, or fresh berries for added texture and flavor diversity. Gently fold in about 100g of your chosen ingredients.
- Colorful Creations: Incorporate food coloring and essences such as strawberry, lemon, or mint for visually stunning and flavorful cupcakes. Adjust the intensity with a few drops to achieve the desired outcome.
- Frosting Techniques: Experiment with different piping nozzles to create unique frosting patterns. Combine various frosting colors for a rainbow or ombre effect, making each cupcake a work of art.
How do I Store Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes Leftovers?
Proper storage is key to maintaining the freshness and flavor of your Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes.
Follow these steps to ensure your leftovers remain delectable:
- Room Temperature Storage: Place the cupcakes in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 2 days. This method is best for short-term storage and helps preserve the cupcakes’ moisture without altering their texture.
- Refrigeration: For a slightly longer storage solution, refrigerate the cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This is especially recommended if your kitchen is particularly warm or if the cupcakes have a frosting that might melt at room temperature.
- Freezing for Longevity: Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. This method locks in freshness and prevents freezer burn.
How do I Reheat Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes Leftovers?
To recapture the just-baked warmth and texture of your Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes, follow these simple reheating instructions:
- Microwave Method: For a quick warm-up, place a cupcake on a microwave-safe plate and heat it for 10-15 seconds. This method is perfect for bringing back the softness and warmth, making the cupcakes feel freshly baked.
- Oven Reheating: Preheat your oven to 150°C (130°C fan, gas mark 2). Place the cupcakes on a baking sheet and warm them for 5-10 minutes. This method is ideal for reviving the outer crust of the cupcakes, giving them a slight crispness akin to their original texture.
- Revitalizing the Frosting: If the frosting has also been refrigerated or frozen, you might find it beneficial to let it reach room temperature or gently warm it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. Stirring the frosting can help restore its creamy consistency, making it easy to spread or pipe onto your cupcakes. If necessary, add a small amount of milk to adjust the consistency.
Nutrition (per serving)
- Calories: 465
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Unsaturated fat: 10g
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Mary Berry Vanilla Cupcakes. These cupcakes are simple, delicious, and versatile, and they will surely impress your guests and family.
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, please feel free to leave them below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading, and happy baking!