Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes are a delightful treat that everyone can enjoy, regardless of dietary preferences. These cupcakes are moist, fluffy, and packed with flavor, making them a perfect option for parties, gatherings, or a simple afternoon treat. Designed to cater to vegan dietary requirements without compromising on taste or texture, this recipe proves that indulgence can be both inclusive and delicious.
In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry’s vegan cupcakes step by step, with tips and tricks along the way. You will also learn how to customize them with different flavors, toppings, and fillings.
Let’s get started!
What are Mary Berry’s Vegan Cupcakes?
Mary Berry’s Vegan Cupcakes are a delightful twist on traditional baking, offering a plant-based alternative to classic cupcakes. These treats are known for their moist, fluffy texture and are topped with a rich, vegan buttercream frosting, making them suitable for vegans, vegetarians, and anyone looking for a delicious dairy-free and egg-free dessert option.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes and can be whipped up in just about 50 minutes, plus baking time. It’s an ideal choice for those looking for a quick, straightforward baking project that yields impressive results.
Other Cake Recipes to Try
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The appeal of this recipe lies in its simplicity, inclusivity, and undeniable taste:
- Vegan-friendly: Free from animal products, catering to ethical, environmental, and dietary considerations.
- Ease of preparation: Requires basic pantry staples and straightforward baking equipment, making it accessible for bakers of all skill levels.
- Exceptional taste: Offers a perfect balance of soft, moist texture with a hint of vanilla, complemented by a creamy, lemon-flavored frosting.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes
To make Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes, you will need the following ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
- 200 g (7 oz) self-raising flour
- 200 g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 ml (3.5 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 75 g (2.5 oz) vegan butter, softened
- 150 g (5 oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- A few drops of food coloring, optional
You will also need:
- A 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 paper cupcake cases
- A piping bag and a star nozzle, optional
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes Recipe
Follow these steps to make these vegan cupcakes:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4).
- Line the muffin tin with the paper cupcake cases.
Step 2: Make the cupcake batter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add the oil, water, and vanilla extract, and whisk until well combined and smooth. The batter should be thick but pourable.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake cases, filling them about two-thirds full.
Step 3: Bake the cupcakes
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let them cool completely before frosting.
Step 4: Make the frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the vegan butter with an electric mixer until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition, until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice and a few drops of food coloring, if using, and beat until well combined. The frosting should be thick but spreadable.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle, if using, or use a knife or a spatula to spread it on the cupcakes.
Step 5: Decorate the cupcakes
- Pipe or spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes, creating swirls or peaks as desired.
- You can also add some sprinkles, nuts, chocolate chips, or fresh fruits as toppings, if you like.
Step 6: Enjoy!
- Enjoy your vegan cupcakes as they are, or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can also freeze them for up to 3 months, without the frosting. Thaw them at room temperature before frosting and serving.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes?
Mary Berry’s vegan cupcakes are a delightful treat that pairs beautifully with various accompaniments to enhance your culinary experience:
- Classic Beverages: A warm cup of tea or coffee complements the cupcakes, making for an ideal afternoon indulgence.
- Plant-Based Milk: Serve with almond, soy, or oat milk for a wholesome and satisfying snack that caters to all preferences.
- Decadent Desserts: Elevate the experience with a scoop of vegan ice cream, adding a layer of indulgence to your treat.
- Indulgent Toppings: A dollop of vegan whipped cream adds a luxurious finish, perfect for those special moments of pampering.
Expert Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes
Achieving the perfect vegan cupcakes is an art that requires attention to detail.
Here are refined tips to ensure your cupcakes are flawless:
- Flour Choices: Opt for self-raising flour for a light, airy texture. Lack of self-raising flour? Mix 200g of plain flour with 2 tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Sugar Selection: Caster sugar is preferred for its fine texture, ensuring a smooth batter. Alternatively, pulse granulated sugar in a blender for a similar consistency.
- Oil Insights: Choose neutral oils like sunflower or canola for a moist crumb without overpowering flavors. Olive oil’s robust taste is best avoided.
- Liquid Options: Water keeps the batter light, while plant-based milks offer richness. Adjust the quantity based on the milk’s thickness for the desired consistency.
- Flavor Enhancements: Pure vanilla extract lends a subtle sweetness, avoiding the artificial aftertaste of vanilla essence.
- Frosting Foundations: Use vegan butter for its creamy texture, steering clear of margarine to avoid any greasy aftertaste. Coconut oil is an alternative for a firmer frosting but may introduce a coconut flavor.
- Sugary Tips: Icing sugar achieves a light, fluffy frosting. For a unique twist, coconut sugar offers a caramel-like richness but may alter the texture.
- Acidic Touch: Lemon juice adds freshness to the frosting. Experiment with other citrus juices or extracts like almond or peppermint for variety.
- Color Creativity: Food coloring brings a vibrant flair. Opt for natural sources like beetroot juice or turmeric for color without compromising taste.
- Decorative Details: A piping bag and star nozzle lend elegance, while a knife or spatula offers a homemade charm. Experiment with different nozzles for varied designs.
Creative Variations of Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes
You can easily customize these vegan cupcakes with different flavors, toppings, and fillings, depending on your taste and mood. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Chocolate Twist: Add cocoa powder to the batter and use chocolate icing sugar or melted vegan chocolate for the frosting. Mix in chocolate chips or shavings for extra decadence.
- Carrot Cake Version: Mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated carrot into the batter for a spiced variant. Incorporate nuts or raisins for texture, and top with cream cheese-flavored frosting, nuts, or coconut.
- Banana Infusion: Stir mashed ripe bananas into the batter for added moisture and a richer flavor, using brown sugar instead of caster sugar for a hint of caramel.
- Lemon Zest: Incorporate lemon zest and juice into the batter, paired with lemon-flavored frosting. Sprinkle poppy seeds for contrast and garnish with lemon zest or candied lemon peel for a fresh finish.
- Red Velvet Elegance: Integrate cocoa powder and red food coloring into the batter for that signature red velvet appearance, and complement it with vegan cream cheese frosting. Add vegan white chocolate chips for a creamy texture, and garnish with red velvet cake crumbs or vegan sprinkles for a festive touch.
How do I Store Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes Leftovers?
To ensure your Mary Berry vegan cupcakes remain as delightful as the day they were baked, follow these storage tips:
- Refrigeration: Place the cupcakes in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This method helps maintain their freshness and prevents them from absorbing odors from other foods.
- Freezing: For longer storage, you can freeze the cupcakes without the frosting for up to 3 months. Wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Be sure to label and date the container for easy identification. This approach is perfect for making ahead and enjoying at a later date.
How do I Reheat Mary Berry Vegan Cupcakes Leftovers?
You can reheat these vegan cupcakes in the microwave or the oven, depending on your preference and time. Here are the steps to follow:
- Microwave: Place one or two cupcakes on a microwave-safe plate, and cover them loosely with a damp paper towel. Microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds, or until warm. Be careful not to overheat them, as they might dry out or burn. Enjoy them as they are, or add some frosting and toppings if you like.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan, gas mark 2). Place the cupcakes on a baking sheet, and cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Bake them for 5 to 10 minutes, or until warm. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool slightly before frosting and decorating them.
Nutrition value per cupcake (without frosting):
- Calories: 345 kcal
- Sugar: 39.3 g
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Saturated fat: 2.7 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.2 g
If you try this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Thank you for reading, and happy baking!