Salmon coulibiac is a delicious dish, featuring a flaky pastry crust filled with tender salmon, rice, eggs, mushrooms, and herbs. It’s a traditional Russian dish, also known as kulebyaka, that has been adopted by the Hairy Bikers, a popular British duo of chefs and TV presenters.
This recipe serves 6-8 people and can be prepared in approximately 2 hours.
In this article, I will show you how to make the Hairy Bikers’ salmon coulibiac step by step, with tips and tricks along the way.
What is Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac?
Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac is a lavish and traditional Russian dish, kulebyaka, that features a symphony of flavors encased in a golden, flaky puff pastry. This version, perfected by the Hairy Bikers, a beloved British culinary duo, layers tender salmon, aromatic basmati rice, hard-boiled eggs, earthy mushrooms, and fresh herbs, creating a complex and satisfying meal. Ideal for serving a crowd, this dish marries the richness of salmon with the heartiness of a stuffed pastry, making it a standout recipe for special occasions or a gourmet family dinner.
Other Salmon Recipes
Why You Love This Recipe
- Rich in Flavors: A delightful mix of salmon, rice, mushrooms, and dill ensures a burst of flavor in every bite.
- Elegant Presentation: Its impressive appearance makes it a perfect centerpiece for any dining table.
- Versatile Meal: Suitable for both special occasions and weekend family dinners.
- Satisfying and Filling: Combines proteins, vegetables, and carbs in one dish for a complete meal.
- Customizable: Easily adaptable to suit dietary preferences and tastes.
Ingredients Needed to Make Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 300g basmati rice
- 600ml chicken stock
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
- 600g skinless salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
Instructions to Make Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac
To make the Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac, follow these steps:
What Do I Serve With Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac?
To complement the richness of the Salmon Coulibiac, serve it with a light and crisp green salad dressed in a simple vinaigrette. A side of steamed green beans or asparagus can add a fresh, crunchy contrast. For a more indulgent meal, a dollop of sour cream or a dill sauce on the side can enhance the flavors. Pair with a glass of Chardonnay or a light red wine like Pinot Noir to complete the dining experience.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac
- Roll the Pastry Evenly: Ensure the puff pastry is rolled to an even thickness to cook uniformly.
- Seal Edges Properly: Press the edges firmly to prevent the filling from leaking during baking.
- Egg Wash for Shine: Brush the pastry with beaten egg to achieve a golden and shiny finish.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the coulibiac to rest for 10 minutes after baking for easier slicing.
- Keep Ingredients Dry: Make sure the rice and mushrooms are not too moist to prevent a soggy pastry.
Variations of Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac
- Vegetarian Version: Substitute salmon with a mix of spinach, feta, and pine nuts for a vegetarian twist.
- Different Fish: Try using trout or cod instead of salmon for a different taste profile.
- Add Greens: Incorporate spinach or kale into the rice or mushroom layers for added nutrition.
- Rice Alternatives: Quinoa or couscous can be used instead of basmati rice for a different texture.
How Do I Store Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac Leftovers?
- Cooling Down: Ensure the coulibiac is completely cooled before storing.
- Refrigeration: Wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: For longer storage, freeze the coulibiac wrapped in foil and place it in a freezer bag for up to 1 month.
How Do I Reheat Hairy Bikers Salmon Coulibiac Leftovers?
- Oven Reheating: Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F). Wrap the coulibiac in foil to prevent it from drying out and heat for about 20-30 minutes or until thoroughly warmed.
- Avoid Microwaving: Microwaving can make the pastry soggy, so it’s best to reheat in the oven to maintain its texture.
Nutrition value (per serving):
- Calories: 504 kcal
- Protein: 32.4 g
- Fat: 25.9 g
- Carbs: 38.6 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 436 mg
Salmon coulibiac is a mouthwatering dish that will impress your guests with its elegant appearance and rich flavor. It’s a great way to enjoy salmon, rice, eggs, mushrooms, and herbs in a single dish. The Hairy Bikers’ recipe is easy to follow and produces a stunning result. You can serve it with a green salad, some bread, and a glass of white wine for a complete meal. Try it today and see for yourself why this dish is a classic.