If you’re looking for a classic and comforting dessert that’s easy to make and delicious to eat, you can’t go wrong with Mary Berry’s apple and blackberry crumble. This recipe combines the tartness of Bramley apples with the sweetness of blackberries, all topped with a crunchy and buttery crumble. It’s the perfect treat to warm your heart and satisfy your sweet tooth.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to make this apple and blackberry crumble step by step, with tips and tricks to ensure a successful result. You’ll also learn how to vary the recipe according to your preferences and what to serve with it.
Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble Recipe?
Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble Recipe is a classic British dessert that consists of a layer of cooked apples and blackberries topped with a crunchy mixture of flour, oats, sugar, butter, and nuts. It’s baked in the oven until golden and bubbly and served hot or cold with custard, cream, or ice cream. It’s a simple and delicious way to enjoy seasonal fruits and satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Related: Mary Berry Apple and Cinnamon Cake
Why You Love this Recipe
Some of the reasons why I love this recipe are:
- Simple, Accessible Ingredients: This recipe is valued for its use of readily available and affordable ingredients.
- Seasonal Fruit Utilization: It’s an excellent way to incorporate seasonal fruits like apples and blackberries, maximizing their natural flavors.
- Flexibility in Serving: The dessert offers versatility, being equally delightful whether served warm or cold, with various accompaniments like custard, cream, or ice cream.
- Texture and Flavor Harmony: The dish features a delightful interplay between the soft, juicy fruits and the crisp, nutty crumble topping.
- Nostalgic Appeal: It evokes a sense of home and childhood, embodying the essence of a classic and comforting dessert.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble
To make this apple and blackberry crumble, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 large (1.2 kg / 2 lb) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 300 g (10 oz) blackberries
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125 g (4 oz) plain flour
- 125 g (4 oz) rolled oats
- 150 g (5 oz) light brown sugar
- 125 g (4 oz) butter, melted
- 50 g (2 oz) roasted hazelnuts, chopped
You’ll also need a baking dish, a large bowl, a small bowl, a knife, a cutting board, a measuring cup, a measuring spoon, a spoon, and an oven.
How to Make Apple and Blackberry Crumble
Follow these steps to make this delicious apple and blackberry crumble:
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the baking dish
Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan/350°F) and lightly grease a baking dish with some butter or cooking spray. You can use any size of baking dish, but I recommend a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) one for this amount of ingredients.
Step 2: Make the fruit filling
In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the caster sugar and the cinnamon until well coated. Transfer the apple mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the blackberries over the apple layer, distributing them as much as possible.
Step 3: Make the crumble topping
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, and brown sugar until well combined. Add the melted butter and stir with a spoon until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts for some extra crunch and flavor.
Step 4: Bake the crumble
Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit filling, covering it completely. Bake the crumble in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Step 5: Enjoy your apple and blackberry crumble
Let the crumble rest for 10 minutes before serving. You can enjoy it as it is or with some custard, clotted cream, or vanilla ice cream. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble?
You can serve Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble with any of these accompaniments:
- Custard: This is a traditional and creamy sauce made with milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. It’s poured over the crumble and adds a rich and smooth texture and flavor.
- Clotted cream: This is a thick and creamy dairy product that’s made by heating and cooling cream. It has a slightly tangy and nutty taste and a velvety texture. It’s spooned over the crumble and adds a decadent and indulgent touch.
- Vanilla ice cream: This is a frozen dessert made with cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla. It’s scooped over the crumble and adds a refreshing and sweet contrast. You can also use other flavors of ice cream, such as caramel, chocolate, or strawberry.
- Whipped cream: This is a light and airy dairy product that’s made by whipping cream with sugar and vanilla. It’s piped or dolloped over the crumble and adds a fluffy and delicate touch. You can also add some cinnamon or nutmeg for some extra spice.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble
Here are some pro tips to help you make the perfect Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble:
Variations of Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble
You can vary Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble by using different fruits for the filling.
Here are some suggestions:
- Apple and Raspberry Crumble: Swap blackberries for raspberries to introduce a vibrant, tangy twist. Enhance the crumble with almond extract for an added nutty fragrance.
- Apple and Pear Crumble: Mix in pears with the apples for a softer, juicier texture. Infuse the fruit layer with ginger to add a spicy, zesty flavor.
- Apple and Plum Crumble: Use plums instead of blackberries for a tart, visually appealing variation. Orange zest and juice in the filling can contribute a citrusy brightness.
- Apple and Peach Crumble: Replace blackberries with peaches for a sweeter, more summery flavor profile. Vanilla in the fruit mix will add a delicate, aromatic quality.
- Apple and Cranberry Crumble: For a festive twist, include cranberries. Their sharpness complements the sweetness of the apples beautifully.
- Caramel Apple Crumble: Introduce caramel into the fruit layer for a rich, indulgent flavor. This version is perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
How do I store Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble Leftovers?
To store Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble leftovers, follow these steps:
- Let the crumble cool completely at room temperature.
- Transfer the crumble to an airtight container or cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Store the crumble in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble Leftovers?
To reheat Mary Berry Apple And Blackberry Crumble leftovers, follow these steps:
Nutrition value (per serving):
- Calories: 490 kcal or 518 kcal
- Fat: 22 g or 24 g
- Carbohydrates: 69 g or 72 g
- Protein: 6 g or 7 g
- Fiber: 8 g or 9 g
Other Apple Cake Recipes to Try
Yes, you can make apple and blackberry crumble a day in advance. You just need to prepare the fruit filling and the crumble topping as per the recipe, then assemble them in your baking dish. Cover it and place it in the fridge. When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven, uncover the crumble, and bake as directed in the recipe.
Can I use different fruits for the crumble?
Yes, you can use different fruits for the crumble, depending on the season and availability. Some of the variations you can try are apple and rhubarb, apple and pear, apple and blueberry, apple and cranberry, or apple and caramel.
How do I make my apple and blackberry crumble gluten-free?
You can make your apple and blackberry crumble gluten-free by using gluten-free flour and oats for the crumble topping. You can also use gluten-free Biscoff cookies or omit them altogether. Make sure to check the labels of the other ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free as well.
Mary Berry’s apple and blackberry crumble is a simple and satisfying dessert that you can make with minimal ingredients and effort. It’s a great way to use up seasonal fruits and enjoy a cozy and comforting treat. Follow this step-by-step guide and use the tips and tricks to make your own apple and blackberry crumble at home. You’ll love the contrast between the soft and juicy fruit filling and the crisp and nutty crumble topping. Serve it with your favorite accompaniment and enjoy!