Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie is a classic dish that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. It has a flaky pastry crust, a creamy egg and cheese filling, and crispy bacon on top. It is a hearty and satisfying meal that everyone will enjoy.
In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie recipe, with a complete step-by-step guide. You will learn how to make the pastry, the filling, and the topping, as well as some tips and tricks to make your pie even better. Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Egg And Bacon Pie Recipe?
Mary Berry egg and bacon pie is a classic British dish that consists of a flaky pastry crust filled with eggs, cheese, and bacon. It is a simple but satisfying meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Other Popular Recipes
Why do you love this recipe?
Here are some reasons why you might love this recipe:
- Ease of Preparation: Requires only a handful of ingredients and straightforward steps.
- Customizable: Feel free to add your preferred cheese, herbs, or veggies.
- Comfort Food: Ideal for chilly days or cozy evenings.
- Indulgent Taste: A perfect blend of crispy pastry and creamy filling.
- Creative Freedom: Decorate the pie to your liking for an added personal touch.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Egg And Bacon Pie
To make Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie, you will need the following ingredients:
For the pastry:
- 225 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 150 g (5 oz) butter, chilled and diced
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 6 eggs
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) double cream
- 150 g (5 oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg
For the topping:
- 8 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
To make Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie, you will need the following equipment:
- A large mixing bowl
- A pastry blender or a food processor
- A rolling pin
- A 23 cm (9 inch) round pie dish
- A fork
- A small bowl
- A whisk
- A measuring jug
- A knife
- A baking sheet
- A wire rack
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Egg And Bacon Pie
To make Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie, follow these steps:
Step 1: Make the pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan, gas mark 6) and lightly grease the pie dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt together. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Alternatively, you can use a pastry blender or a food processor to do this.
- Add the egg and enough water to bring the dough together. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface, until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out two-thirds of the dough to a circle slightly larger than the pie dish. Line the dish with the pastry, leaving some overhang. Prick the base and sides of the pastry with a fork. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes, until golden. Trim the excess pastry and set aside.
Step 2: Make the filling
- In a small bowl, whisk one egg with a fork and set aside for glazing.
- In a measuring jug, whisk the remaining five eggs with the cream, cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case, spreading it evenly.
Step 3: Make the topping
- Cut the bacon rashers in half and arrange them over the filling, overlapping slightly.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the reserved egg and roll out the remaining dough to a circle slightly larger than the pie dish. Cover the pie with the pastry, pressing the edges to seal. Trim the excess pastry and crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork. Cut a few slits in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining egg and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Enjoy! 😋
What do you serve with Mary Berry egg and bacon pie?
Enhance your dining experience with these accompaniments:
- Light Options: Pair with a green salad or fresh fruit for a balanced meal.
- For the Bread Lovers: Accompany with bread or toast – perfect for savoring the egg sauce.
- Classic Sides: Chips or fries complement the pie’s hearty nature.
- Flavor Boosters: Gravy or ketchup can add a delightful twist.
- Beverage Pairing: Round off your meal with a refreshing cup of tea or coffee.
Expert tips to make the perfect Mary Berry egg and bacon pie:
Here are some tips to help you make your pie even better:
- Quality Ingredients: Opt for fresh eggs, cheese, and bacon for superior taste. Shortcut with frozen pastry if needed.
- Water Temperature: Cold water aids in a smoother dough. For ease, chill the dough before rolling.
- Pastry Proportions: Ensure enough pastry to cover the filling without excessive overhang.
- Egg Wash Technique: Apply an adequate amount of egg wash for a golden finish. Substitute with milk for variation.
- Filling Consistency: Use baking powder for setting the custard. Cornstarch can be added for thickness.
Variations of Mary Berry egg and bacon pie:
You can make different versions of this recipe by changing some of the ingredients or adding some new ones. Here are some examples:
- Cheese Choices: Experiment with different cheeses like cheddar, gruyere, or mozzarella. Herbs like thyme or rosemary can enhance flavor.
- Meat Alternatives: Swap bacon with ham for a different texture, or add mustard or honey for a sweet note.
- Lighter Version: Replace eggs with chicken for a less rich option, and consider adding spinach or mushrooms for nutritional value.
How do I store Mary Berry Egg And Bacon Pie leftovers?
Here are some ways to store your leftover pie:
- Refrigerate: You can store your leftover pie in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. Make sure to reheat it gently in a saucepan before serving again.
- Freeze: You can freeze your leftover pie in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to three months. Make sure to thaw it completely before reheating it in the oven or microwave before serving again. ❄️
How do I reheat Mary Berry egg and bacon pie leftovers?
Here are some ways to reheat your leftover pie:
- Oven: You can reheat your leftover pie in an oven at a low temperature (around 50°C) until warm but not hot (around five minutes). This will prevent drying out or burning your pie crust.
- Microwave: You can reheat your leftover pie in a microwave at high power (around one minute) until warm but not hot (around one minute). This will heat up your filling quickly but be careful not to overheat your crust.
Can I Make Mary Berry’s Egg and Bacon Pie in Advance?
Yes, you can prepare this pie in advance. The pastry can be made and refrigerated up to a day before. The pie itself can be fully assembled and kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking. Ensure it’s covered to prevent the pastry from drying out.
How do I make the filling for this recipe?
You will need eggs, cheese, bacon, and cream or milk to make the filling. You can use any cheese you like, such as cheddar, gruyere, parmesan, or mozzarella. You can also add some herbs, such as thyme or rosemary, for extra flavor. You will need to whisk the eggs with a fork and set aside one egg for glazing. Then you will need to fry the bacon until crisp and drain it on paper towels. Then you will need to layer the bacon and eggs in a pie dish and pour over the cheese mixture. Finally, you will need to pour over the cream or milk and season with salt and pepper.
How long does this recipe take to make?
This recipe takes about an hour to make from start to finish. The preparation time is about 20 minutes and includes making the dough, frying the bacon, layering everything in a pie dish, rolling out another sheet of pastry into a lid, sealing it around your pie dish, baking it in a preheated oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 for 25-30 minutes until golden and crisp.
What Are Some Vegetarian Alternatives for the Bacon in This Recipe?
For a vegetarian version, you can omit the bacon and add vegetables like sautéed mushrooms, spinach, or bell peppers. You can also add vegetarian bacon or sausages for a similar texture.
How Can I Tell When the Pie Is Perfectly Cooked?
The pie is done when the pastry is golden brown and the filling is set. The center should not jiggle excessively when you gently shake the dish. This usually takes about 25-30 minutes in an oven preheated to 200°C.
Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie is a delicious and easy recipe that you can make for your family and friends. It has a flaky pastry crust, a creamy egg and cheese filling, and crispy bacon on top. It is a hearty and satisfying meal that everyone will love.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Mary Berry’s egg and bacon pie recipe, with a complete step-by-step guide. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy baking!