If you are looking for a delicious and easy coconut cake recipe, you have come to the right place. In this blog post, I will show you how to make a coconut cake inspired by the famous British chef and cookbook author, Nigella Lawson. This cake is moist, fluffy, and full of coconut flavor. It is also topped with a creamy and smooth buttercream frosting and sprinkled with shredded coconut. This cake is perfect for any occasion, whether it is a birthday, a tea party, or a weekend treat. You will love this coconut cake recipe, and so will your family and friends.
What is Nigella Lawson’s Coconut Cake?
Nigella Lawson coconut cake is a delicious and easy cake recipe inspired by the famous British chef and cookbook author, Nigella Lawson. This cake is made with eggs, butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, desiccated coconut, coconut cream, and vanilla extract. It is baked in two round cake pans and then filled and frosted with a buttercream made with butter, icing sugar, and coconut cream. The cake is also spread with raspberry jam and sprinkled with shredded or flaked coconut. This cake is moist, fluffy, and full of coconut flavor. It is perfect for any occasion, whether it is a birthday, a tea party, or a weekend treat.
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this coconut cake recipe, such as:
- It is easy to make and requires only basic ingredients that you can find in any supermarket.
- It is versatile and can be customized with different jams, fillings, and toppings according to your preference.
- It is a crowd-pleaser and will impress your family and friends with its beautiful appearance and taste.
- It is a coconut lover’s dream, with a rich and creamy coconut flavor in every bite.
- It is a satisfying and indulgent dessert that will make you feel happy and content.
To make this coconut cake, you will need the following ingredients:
For the cake:
- 3 medium eggs (beaten)
- 50 grams of desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of coconut cream
- 175 grams of butter (softened)
- 175 grams of golden caster sugar
- 175 grams of self-raising flour
- 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder
For the buttercream filling and topping:
- 280 grams of icing sugar
- 100 grams of butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut cream
- 5 tablespoons of raspberry jam
- 3 cups of shredded or flaked coconut
To make this coconut cake, you will need the following equipment:
- A food processor or an electric mixer
- A large mixing bowl
- A spatula or a wooden spoon
- A sieve or a whisk
- Two 20 cm round cake pans
- Baking paper
- A wire rack
- A cake stand or a large plate
- A palette knife or a spatula
- A measuring cup and a measuring spoon
Instructions to Make Nigella Lawson Coconut Cake
To make this coconut cake, follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius for fan oven) or gas mark 4. Butter and line the cake pans with baking paper.
- In a food processor or an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Add the coconut cream and the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the desiccated coconut and stir to combine. Gradually fold in the wet ingredients until well incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool slightly in the pans before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter and icing sugar in a food processor or an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the coconut cream and mix well.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a cake stand or a large plate. Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the top. Spoon half of the buttercream over the jam and spread it gently. Place the other cake layer on top and press lightly to sandwich them together. Spread the remaining buttercream over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle the shredded or flaked coconut over the cake, covering it completely. Refrigerate the cake for at least an hour before slicing and serving.
What Do I Serve With Nigella Lawson Coconut Cake?
You can serve this coconut cake with a variety of accompaniments, such as:
- A cup of tea or coffee, to complement the sweetness and richness of the cake.
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream, adds some contrast and freshness to the cake.
- A dollop of whipped cream, to enhance the creaminess and lightness of the cake.
- Some fresh berries, to add some color and tartness to the cake.
- Some chopped nuts, to add some crunch and texture to the cake.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Nigella Lawson Coconut Cake
To make this coconut cake even better, follow these pro tips:
- Use room temperature ingredients, especially the eggs, butter, and coconut cream. This will help the batter and the buttercream to mix well and create a smooth and even texture.
- Do not overmix the batter, as this will result in a tough and dense cake. Just fold in the dry ingredients until well incorporated, and use a gentle hand when spreading the batter in the cake pans.
- Do not overbake the cake, as this will result in a dry and crumbly cake. Check the cake for doneness after 25 minutes, and insert a skewer in the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, bake for a few more minutes and check again.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting and assembling it, as this will prevent the buttercream from melting and the cake from falling apart. You can also refrigerate the cake for an hour before slicing and serving it, to make it easier to cut and more firm.
- Toast the shredded or flaked coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant. This will add more crunch and flavor to the cake, and also make it look more appealing.
How do I store Nigella Lawson’s Coconut Cake?
You can store this coconut cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
How do I reheat Nigella Lawson’s Coconut Cake?
You can reheat this coconut cake in the microwave or the oven, depending on your preference. To reheat it in the microwave, cut a slice of cake and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Cover it loosely with a damp paper towel and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, or until warm. To reheat it in the oven, preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius or gas mark 3. Wrap the cake in foil and place it on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until warm. Enjoy!
How can I make this coconut cake vegan?
A: You can easily make this coconut cake vegan by substituting some of the ingredients with plant-based alternatives. For example, you can use vegan butter or margarine instead of dairy butter, flax eggs instead of chicken eggs, and vegan cream cheese instead of coconut cream. You can also use agave nectar or maple syrup instead of golden caster sugar, and vegan-friendly jam instead of raspberry jam. Just follow the same steps and measurements as the original recipe, and you will have a delicious vegan coconut cake.
How can I make this coconut cake gluten-free?
You can make this coconut cake gluten-free by replacing the self-raising flour with a gluten-free flour blend that contains xanthan gum or another binding agent. You can also add a teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the batter to help it rise and create air bubbles. Alternatively, you can use almond flour or coconut flour instead of wheat flour, but you may need to adjust the amount of liquid and fat in the recipe, as these flours tend to be more absorbent and dense.
What can I use instead of desiccated coconut?
Desiccated coconut is finely shredded and dried coconut that adds texture and flavor to the cake. If you don’t have it or don’t like it, you can use other forms of coconut, such as coconut flakes, coconut chips, or coconut shreds. You can also use fresh or frozen grated coconut, but you may need to squeeze out the excess moisture before adding it to the batter. Another option is to use coconut extract or coconut essence to enhance the coconut flavor and omit the desiccated coconut altogether.
I hope you enjoyed this coconut cake recipe inspired by Nigella Lawson. This cake is a coconut lover’s dream, with a moist and fluffy texture, a rich and creamy frosting, and a generous coating of coconut. It is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Try it today and let me know what you think. Thank you for reading my blog and happy baking!
Other Mary Berry Cakes Recipe
- Mary Berry Coconut Cake
- Mary Berry Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Mary Berry Red Velvet Cake
- Mary Berry Lemon and Lime Cheesecake
- Mary Berry Strawberry Cheesecake
- Mary Berry No Bake Baileys Cheesecake
- Mary Berry Vanilla Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake Mary Berry
- Mary Berry Marble Cake
- Mary Berry Banana and Chocolate Loaf
- Nigella Red Velvet Cake