Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup is a vibrant and invigorating dish that combines the natural sweetness of carrots with the warm, spicy undertone of ginger. This soup is not only a feast for the eyes with its bright, inviting color but also a nourishment for the body, offering a healthful blend of ingredients. It’s a perfect choice for those seeking a light yet flavorful meal, especially during colder months or when in need of a comforting boost.
In this article, I’ll show you how to make Jamie Oliver’s carrot and ginger soup in easy steps. I’ll also share some tips and tricks to make it even better.
Let’s get started!
What is Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup?
Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup is a soup recipe created by the famous British chef and cookbook author, Jamie Oliver. It is a simple, healthy, and delicious soup that is made with carrots, onions, garlic, ginger, vegetable stock, and fresh coriander. It is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, and it has a vibrant orange color and a spicy and sweet flavor.
This recipe typically serves 4-6 people and can be whipped up in a relatively short amount of time, making it an ideal option for a quick lunch or a simple, satisfying dinner.
Other Popular Recipes
- Broccoli and Stilton Soup Jamie Oliver
- James Martin Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- Jamie Oliver Courgette Soup
Why You Love this Recipe
There are many reasons to love this recipe, such as:
- Ease of Preparation: With minimal and readily available ingredients, this soup is a breeze to prepare, making it perfect for both beginners and seasoned cooks.
- Nutrient-Rich: Packed with fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and antioxidants, it’s a nutritional powerhouse that’s low in calories, offering health benefits in each spoonful.
- Comforting: Ideal for chilly weather or a light, soothing meal, this soup provides warmth and comfort with every sip.
- Customizable: The recipe is a canvas for your culinary creativity, allowing for the addition of various spices, herbs, or additional ingredients to suit your palate.
- Economical: Utilize any leftover vegetables and transform them into this delightful soup, making it a budget-friendly option without compromising on taste.
Ingredients Needed to Make Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup
To make this soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg of carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- A thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 liters of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- A drizzle of olive oil
- A squeeze of lemon juice
You’ll also need a large pot, a blender, and a ladle.
Instructions to Make Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup
Here are the steps to make Jamie Oliver’s carrot and ginger soup:
Step 1: Cook the Onion, Garlic, and Ginger
- Heat some oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
Step 2: Add the Carrots and the Stock
- Add the carrots and the stock and bring to a boil.
- Then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Step 3: Blend the Soup
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender and blend the soup directly in the pot.
Step 4: Season the Soup
- Return the soup to the pot and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, to taste.
Step 5: Serve the Soup
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with some chopped coriander.
What Do I Serve With Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup?
Pairing the right accompaniments with Jamie Oliver’s Carrot and Ginger Soup can elevate the dining experience, offering a more rounded and satisfying meal.
Here are some serving suggestions to complement the flavors and textures of the soup.
- Bread Varieties: Enhance your soup experience with crusty bread like sourdough, baguette, or ciabatta. Toast the bread and add a spread of butter, cheese, or hummus for an additional layer of flavor and texture.
- Crunchy Crackers: Serve with crackers like saltines or wheat thins. Top them with cheese, jam, or nut butter for a delightful mix of crunchy and creamy elements.
- Homemade Croutons: Add homemade or store-bought croutons for an extra crunch. Create them by tossing bread cubes with oil, herbs, and seasoning, then baking until golden.
- Fresh Salad: Accompany the soup with a fresh salad such as a green salad, coleslaw, or fruit salad. Dress it with oil, vinegar, or lemon juice for a refreshing side that complements the soup’s richness.
- Hearty Sandwiches: Pair the soup with a sandwich like grilled cheese, ham and cheese, or peanut butter and jelly. Vary the bread, cheese, and fillings for a hearty and complete meal.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup
For a superb bowl of Jamie Oliver’s Carrot and Ginger Soup, remember these tips:
- Uniform Chopping: Ensure carrots and onions are uniformly chopped for even cooking.
- Fresh Ingredients: Always use fresh ginger and garlic to enhance the soup’s flavor.
- Quality Stock: Opt for homemade or high-quality vegetable stock instead of water.
- Balanced Seasoning: Season well with salt, pepper, and a hint of lemon juice.
- Desired Texture: Blend the soup to your preferred consistency, be it smooth or chunky.
- Fresh Garnish: Add a burst of color and freshness with a garnish of coriander or other herbs
Variations of Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup
Tailor the soup to your taste with these variations:
- Spices: Spice it up with additions like cumin, turmeric, or curry powder.
- Creaminess: Introduce coconut milk or cream for a richer texture.
- Nutty Flavor: Stir in some nuts or nut butter for a protein boost and nutty taste.
- Cheesy Delight: Sprinkle in some cheese or nutritional yeast for extra flavor.
- Exciting Toppings: Top with crunchy croutons, roasted chickpeas, or crispy bacon.
How do I store Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup Leftovers?
Storing leftovers of Jamie Oliver’s Carrot and Ginger Soup ensures you can enjoy this delicious meal again. Place the cooled soup in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Cool Completely: Let the soup cool to room temperature to prevent bacterial growth.
- Label: Mark the container with the soup’s name and the date to keep track of its shelf life.
- Leave Space: Allow a little space in the container if you’re freezing the soup to accommodate expansion.
- Portion Out: Divide the soup into smaller portions for easier thawing and reheating later.
How do I reheat Jamie Oliver Carrot and Ginger Soup Leftovers?
When you’re ready to enjoy the soup again, you can reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
- Thawing: If frozen, thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
- Reheating: Transfer the soup to a pot for stovetop reheating or a microwave-safe bowl if using the microwave. Cover the soup to prevent splattering.
- Heat Thoroughly: Warm the soup on medium-low heat on the stove or at high power in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until it’s hot throughout.
- Adjust Seasonings: Taste and adjust the seasoning and consistency by adding a little more salt, pepper, lemon juice, or stock if needed. Enjoy the soup hot for the best taste.
Nutrition value per serving:
- Calories: 160 kcal
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbohydrate: 23 g (of which 19 g sugars)
- Fat: 4.5 g (of which 1 g saturates)
- Fiber: 10 g
- Salt: 0.9 g
Can I make Jamie Oliver’s Carrot and Ginger Soup in advance?
Yes, this soup is perfect for making ahead. Simply prepare the soup, allow it to cool, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
How do I make the soup creamier?
You can add some coconut milk or cream to the soup, for some extra richness and creaminess. You can also use other plant-based milks or creams, such as almonds, soy, or oats, for a different flavor and texture.
How do I make the soup spicier?
You can add some spices to the soup, such as cumin, turmeric, curry powder, paprika, or cinnamon, for some extra flavor and warmth. You can also use a spice blend, such as garam masala, ras el hanout, or baharat, for a more complex and exotic flavor.
How do I make the soup sweeter?
You can add some maple syrup or honey to the soup, for some extra sweetness and balance. You can also use other natural sweeteners, such as agave, date, or coconut sugar, for a different flavor and texture.
How do I make the soup thicker?
You can add some lentils, sweet potatoes, or parsnips to the soup, for some extra thickness and protein. You can also use a potato masher or a fork to mash the soup instead of blending it.
Jamie Oliver carrot and ginger soup is a simple, healthy, and delicious soup recipe that you can make in less than an hour. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, and it’s packed with flavor, nutrients, and warmth. It’s perfect for any season and any occasion.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make this soup. If you did, please share it with your friends and family. And don’t forget to check out my other recipes on my food blog.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!