Mary Berry Lancashire Hotpot is a classic British comfort food, combining tender, slow-cooked lamb with hearty root vegetables, all topped with a crisp layer of sliced potatoes. This dish is perfect for family dinners, offering warmth and rich flavors that are especially welcome during colder months.
In this guide, I’ll walk you through the steps to create Mary Berry’s Lancashire Hotpot, providing helpful tips to ensure a deliciously satisfying result.
What is Mary Berry Lancashire Hotpot?
Mary Berry Lancashire hotpot is a traditional British dish that originated in the county of Lancashire, England. It is a hearty and comforting stew of lamb, potatoes, onions, and carrots, cooked slowly in the oven until the meat is tender and the potatoes are golden and crisp. It is a perfect meal for a cold winter day or any time you need some warmth and nourishment.
Some of the reasons why you love this recipe are:
- Classic Comfort: A traditional dish that warms and satisfies.
- Easy Preparation: Simple, straightforward steps with minimal prep required.
- One-Pot Wonder: Ideal for feeding a group and easy to scale.
- Customizable: Easily adapted to suit your taste preferences.
- Resourceful: A great way to utilize leftover meat and vegetables.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Lancashire Hotpot
To make Mary Berry’s Lancashire hotpot, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1.5 kg (3 lb) lamb shoulder, cut into large chunks
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 600 ml (1 pint) lamb or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 900 g (2 lb) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 50 g (2 oz) butter, melted
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
You will also need a large ovenproof casserole dish with a lid, or a deep baking dish covered with foil.
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Lancashire Hotpot
Here are the steps to make Mary Berry’s Lancashire hotpot:
Mary Berry’s Lancashire hotpot is a traditional British dish that is perfect for a cold winter day or any time you need some warmth and nourishment.
It is a hearty and comforting stew of lamb, potatoes, onions, and carrots, cooked slowly in the oven until the meat is tender and the potatoes are golden and crisp. It is easy to make, with simple ingredients and minimal preparation. It is also versatile and adaptable and can be customized to your taste and preference. It is a one-pot meal that can feed a crowd and a great way to use up leftover meat and vegetables. It is a classic and delicious dish that will warm you up and fill you up.
I hope you enjoyed this article, and that you will try this recipe soon. Let me know how it turns out, and what variations you made. I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading, and happy cooking!