Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup is a hearty and flavorful dish, showcasing tender beef and a rich blend of vegetables and spices. Originating from Hungary, this soup brings a warm and comforting experience, perfect for family meals or a cozy dinner gathering.
In this article, I will show you how to make goulash soup using the Hairy Bikers’ recipe.
What is Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup?
Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup is a robust and savory dish rooted in Hungarian cuisine. It’s a blend of tender beef, rich spices like paprika, and a mix of vegetables including onions, garlic, potatoes, and carrots. This soup is known for its deep, comforting flavors and is often enjoyed during colder seasons or as a satisfying meal at any time of the year.
Their goulash soup recipe is easy to follow and uses simple ingredients that you can find in any supermarket. It takes about an hour and a half to cook, but most of the time is spent simmering the soup, so you don’t have to do much work. The result is a rich and flavorful soup that will warm you up and fill you up.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
- Simple Ingredients: Uses everyday ingredients easily found in your local supermarket.
- Hearty and Filling: Perfect for a satisfying meal, especially during cold weather.
- Versatile: Easy to adjust to your taste preferences and dietary needs.
- Family-Friendly: Loved by adults and children alike for its rich flavor.
- Time-Efficient: Although it takes time to simmer, the active cooking time is minimal.
Ingredients Needed to Make Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup
To make Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup for four people, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 500g of lean beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 litres of beef stock
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream and chopped parsley, to serve
Instructions to Make Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup
To make goulash soup, follow these steps:
What Do I Serve With Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup?
- Crusty Bread: Ideal for dipping and savoring the rich broth.
- Green Salad: A fresh salad balances the heartiness of the soup.
- Steamed Rice: Makes for a more filling meal, especially if served as the main dish.
- Sour Cream: Adds a creamy texture and tangy flavor to the soup.
- Pickles or Sauerkraut: Offers a nice crunch and acidity, complementing the soup’s richness.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup
- Use Quality Beef: Choose lean, high-quality beef for the best flavor and texture.
- Brown the Beef Well: This step adds depth to the soup’s flavor.
- Simmer Slowly: Allow the soup to simmer gently to develop flavors.
- Adjust Spices to Taste: Feel free to tweak the amount of paprika or add other spices.
- Cook Vegetables Until Tender: Ensure the potatoes and carrots are cooked through for a pleasant texture.
Variations of Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup
- Vegetarian Version: Substitute beef with mushrooms or a meat alternative.
- Spicy Twist: Add chili flakes or a bit of hot sauce for a kick.
- Different Vegetables: Try adding bell peppers or celery for variety.
- Low-Carb Option: Replace potatoes with low-carb vegetables like cauliflower.
- Creamier Texture: Blend a part of the soup to create a thicker, more velvety consistency.
Nutrition value per serving (based on 6 servings):
- Calories: 306
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Sugars: 10.8g
- Protein: 32.4g
- Salt: 1.2g
Can I make Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can easily adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Brown the beef as instructed and then transfer it along with the other ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Check the seasoning before serving and adjust as necessary.
Is it possible to make this soup vegetarian?
Definitely! To make a vegetarian version, substitute the beef with a hearty vegetable like mushrooms or a plant-based meat alternative. Use vegetable stock instead of beef stock. The rest of the recipe remains the same, ensuring you still get that rich, savory flavor.
How long can I store the leftover Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup?
Leftover goulash soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure it’s in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat gently on the stove or in a microwave.
Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Absolutely! This soup is quite versatile. Feel free to add other vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, or even zucchini. Just keep in mind the cooking times of different vegetables; add them to the soup at the appropriate stage to ensure they are cooked properly.
Goulash soup is a classic and comforting dish that is easy to make and satisfying to eat. It is a great way to use up leftover beef and vegetables, and it can feed a crowd. You can customize it to your liking, and serve it with some bread, salad, or rice. It is a perfect meal for any occasion, especially on cold and rainy days.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make goulash soup using the Hairy Bikers recipe. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking! 😊