Nigella Carrot and Coriander Soup is a delightful blend of the sweet, earthy flavors of carrots and the fresh, zesty taste of coriander. This soup is known for its smooth texture and vibrant, inviting color, making it a perfect choice for a light and healthy meal. Its simplicity and depth of flavor make it an ideal dish for any occasion, whether it’s a casual lunch or an elegant starter.
In this article, I’ll walk you through Nigella Lawson’s Carrot and Coriander Soup recipe, offering insights on how to achieve a beautifully smooth consistency and the perfect harmony of flavors.
Let’s get started!
What is Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup Recipe?
Nigella carrot and coriander soup is a creamy and flavorful soup made with carrots, onion, vegetable stock, and fresh coriander leaves. It’s a recipe from Nigella Lawson, a famous British food writer and TV personality. She is known for her easy, elegant, and indulgent dishes that anyone can make at home.
Suitable for serving 4-6 people, this soup is straightforward and quick to prepare, offering a delicious way to enjoy these nutritious ingredients.
Other Popular Recipes
Ingredients Needed to Make Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup
To make this soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 450 grams of carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1.2 liters of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Sour cream or yogurt, for serving (optional)
You’ll also need a large pot, a blender or a food processor, and a ladle.
Why You Love this Recipe
Nigella’s Carrot and Coriander Soup stands out for several compelling reasons:
- Effortless Cooking: This recipe calls for basic ingredients likely already in your kitchen, making it incredibly straightforward to prepare.
- Health Benefits Galore: Rich in vitamin A and fiber, carrots offer numerous health benefits, while coriander supports digestion and skin health.
- Flavorful and Fulfilling: Enjoy a delightful combination of sweetness from the carrots and a unique spice from the coriander, all wrapped in a silky, smooth texture.
- Customizable to Taste: Tailor the seasoning, consistency, and garnishes to suit your palate, making each preparation uniquely yours.
- Seasonally Versatile: Whether served piping hot in winter or chilled in summer, this soup is a comforting treat year-round.
How To Prepare The Ingredients
Before you start cooking, you need to prepare the ingredients. Here’s what you need to do:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Add the ground coriander and cook for another minute, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, to your liking.
Instructions To Make the Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup
Once the ingredients are ready, you need to blend the soup.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or a food processor, in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly into the pot.
- Return the soup to the pot and reheat over low heat, if needed.
- Stir in the fresh coriander leaves, reserving some for garnish.
How To Serve The Soup
Your soup is now ready to serve. Here’s how to enjoy it:
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired.
- Sprinkle some more fresh coriander leaves over the soup, for extra flavor and color.
- Serve the soup with crusty bread, crackers, or croutons, for a complete meal.
What Do I Serve With Nigella Cariander And Coriander Soup?
Complement this flavorful soup with a variety of sides:
- Bread and Crunchy Add-Ons: Pair with crusty bread, crackers, or croutons for a satisfying crunch.
- Creamy Accents: Add a dollop of sour cream, yogurt, or a sprinkle of cheese to enrich the soup with a creamy, tangy element.
- Nutty and Seed Toppings: Toasted nuts or seeds enhance the soup with additional protein and a textural contrast.
- Fresh Herb Garnishes: Embellish with herbs like parsley, mint, or basil to introduce a burst of freshness and color.
- Rounding Out the Meal: Serve alongside a salad, sandwich, or wrap for a complete, balanced dining experience.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup
Enhance your cooking experience with these tips for a flawless rendition of Nigella’s Carrot and Coriander Soup:
- Select Quality Ingredients: Opt for fresh, organic carrots for a richer flavor and natural sweetness. Organic carrots are typically free from pesticides and often taste better.
- Even Carrot Preparation: Peel and chop your carrots uniformly. This ensures they cook evenly, resulting in a consistent texture throughout the soup.
- Caramelized Onions for Depth: Cook the onions until they are soft and golden. This caramelization process enhances the natural sweetness of the onions, adding depth to the soup’s flavor.
- Opt for Low-Sodium Stock: Using a low-sodium vegetable stock allows better control over the soup’s saltiness, adjusting it to your preference.
- Silky Texture: Blend the soup thoroughly to achieve a smooth and creamy consistency, enhancing the overall mouthfeel.
- Fresh Coriander at the End: Stir in fresh coriander leaves just before serving to maintain their vibrant color and fresh flavor.
Variations of Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup
Experiment with these creative twists to add variety to Nigella’s classic soup:
- Spice Infusion: Incorporate garlic, ginger, or curry powder while cooking the onions for an added layer of flavor and warmth.
- Richer Broth Alternative: Swap vegetable stock with chicken stock for a heartier flavor and additional protein.
- Additional Vegetables: Include potatoes, sweet potatoes, or parsnips for added texture and a creamier consistency.
- Creamy Enhancements: Introduce coconut milk, dairy cream, or cheese for a richer, more decadent soup.
- Crunchy Garnish: Top the soup with toasted nuts, seeds, or croutons to contrast the smooth texture with a delightful crunch.
How do I store Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup Leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of this soup, you can store them in the following ways:
- Refrigeration: Store the soup in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: For longer storage, freeze the soup in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Label it with the date for easy reference.
- Mason Jar Storage: For a convenient option, use a clean, sterilized mason jar, seal it tightly, and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to a month.
How do I reheat Nigella Carrot And Coriander Soup Leftovers?
If you want to reheat this soup, you can do it in the following ways:
- Microwave Method: Place the soup in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stovetop Reheating: Warm the soup in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Blender Technique: For an extra smooth texture, reheat the soup in a blender for a few seconds until hot and frothy. This method also restores the soup’s creamy consistency.
Nutrition value per serving:
- Calories: 87 kcal
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrate: 11.7 g (of which 10.2 g sugars)
- Fat: 3.4 g (of which 0.4 g saturates)
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Salt: 1.9 g
Can I make Nigella’s Carrot and Coriander Soup in advance? How long will it keep?
Yes, you can prepare this soup in advance. It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container. If you wish to keep it longer, it freezes beautifully for up to 3 months. Just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
How can I make the soup creamier without adding cream?
You can add some potato, sweet potato, or parsnip to the soup, as they will make the soup thicker and creamier when blended. You can also add some coconut milk, cheese, or yogurt, but they will add more calories and fat to the soup.
How can I make the soup spicier without adding chili?
You can add some garlic, ginger, or curry powder to the onion, as they will add some heat and flavor to the soup. You can also add some lemon juice or zest, as they will add some tanginess and brightness to the soup.
How can I make the soup more colorful without adding artificial colors?
You can add some turmeric, as it will enhance the orange color of the carrots and add some earthy flavor to the soup. You can also add some fresh herbs, such as parsley, mint, or basil, as they will add some green color and freshness to the soup.
How can I make the soup more nutritious without adding supplements?
You can add some lentils, beans, or chickpeas to the soup, as they will add some protein and fiber to the soup. You can also add some spinach, kale, or broccoli, as they will add some vitamins and minerals to the soup.
Nigella’s carrot and coriander soup is a simple, healthy, and delicious soup that you can make in less than an hour. It’s perfect for any occasion, and it’s easy to customize to your preferences. You can serve it as a starter, a main course, or a snack, and enjoy it with your favorite bread or crackers. It’s a soup that will warm you up and make you happy.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make Nigella’s carrot and coriander soup. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, please let me know in the comments section below. I’d love to hear from you. And if you try this recipe, please share your results and photos with me. I’d love to see how it turned out for you.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!
Other Popular Recipes