James Martin Carrot and Coriander Soup is a light and fragrant dish, blending the sweet taste of carrots with the citrusy notes of fresh coriander. This soup is known for its smooth texture and vibrant color, offering a soothing and flavorful experience in every spoonful. It’s a perfect choice for anyone in search of a comforting, yet refreshingly simple meal.
In this article, I will show you how to make James Martin’s carrot and coriander soup recipe step by step. I will also share some tips and tricks to make it even better. Let’s get started!
What is James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup Recipe?
James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup is a creamy and flavorful soup made with carrots, milk, butter, cream, and coriander. It’s a simple and easy recipe that you can make in a soup maker or a saucepan. It’s a great way to use up some carrots and coriander, and it’s also very nutritious and satisfying. You can enjoy it as a starter or a main course, with some flatbread, vichy carrots, or crusty bread.
Serving 4-6 people, this soup can be quickly prepared, making it an excellent option for a nutritious lunch or a starter for dinner gatherings.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
Here are some reasons why you will love this recipe:
- Delectable Flavor Profile: Revel in the sweet and earthy notes of carrots blended seamlessly with the rich, creamy milk and cream base, all lifted by the fresh, aromatic zest of coriander. Every spoonful promises a burst of flavor that’s sure to please.
- Nutritional Powerhouse: Indulge in a bowl full of health benefits. Carrots and coriander bring a wealth of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber to your diet, while milk and cream contribute to a good dose of protein and calcium. Enjoy a meal that’s as nutritious as it is delicious.
- Simplicity at Its Best: This soup impresses without stress. It requires only a handful of ingredients and can be whipped up in a soup maker or saucepan in under 30 minutes. It’s proof that great flavor doesn’t have to be complicated.
Ingredients Needed to Make James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup
To make this soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 300g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 300ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch coriander
- Knob of butter
- 50ml double cream
- 300g self-raising flour
- 100ml Greek yoghurt
- 1 small bunch coriander chopped
- Water to bring together
- 1 carrot sliced thinly
- Vichy carrots
- 2 carrots sliced
- 25g caster sugar
- 25g butter
- Splash of water
- To garnish:
- Double cream
- Olive oil and coriander sprigs blitzed together
Instructions to Make James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup
Here are the steps to make this soup:
Step 1: Make the flatbread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix all the ingredients together for the flatbread, knead gently, then roll out into a circle.
- Dot with carrots, dust with flour, and pop onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 2: Make the Vichy carrots
- Put everything into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Make the soup
- Put the carrots and milk into a large pan, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Blitz until smooth, add the butter and cream then pour into warm bowls, drizzle over cream, and garnish with coriander oil.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy
- Serve the soup with the flatbreads topped with vichy carrots.
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious meal!
What Do I Serve With James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup?
Pro Tips to Make Perfect James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup
Elevate the simplicity of this soup to a gourmet level with these pro tips:
- Opt for Quality Ingredients: The flavor and nutritional value of your soup hinge significantly on the quality of its components. Choose fresh, organic carrots and coriander for peak flavor and vitamins. Likewise, using whole milk, butter, and cream will impart a luxurious richness and smooth texture that lighter substitutes can’t match.
- Master the Seasoning: A well-seasoned soup transforms from good to great. Beyond the basics of salt and pepper, consider the warm embrace of cumin, the spicy touch of ginger, or the aromatic lift of garlic. A dash of lemon juice or a splash of vinegar can cut through the sweetness and richness, creating a beautifully balanced profile.
- Elegant Garnishing: Presentation elevates the eating experience. Drizzle a swirl of cream and homemade coriander oil over the soup before serving. To make coriander oil, simply blitz olive oil with coriander sprigs. For an extra layer of texture and taste, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves or seeds.
Variations of James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup
Experiment with these variations to suit your mood or the occasion:
- Carrot and Coconut Soup: Swap out the dairy for coconut milk and cream, infusing the soup with tropical vibes. Add curry powder and turmeric for depth and a hint of heat with chopped red chili. Garnish with fresh cilantro for an additional pop of color and flavor.
- Carrot and Orange Soup: Introduce a citrusy twist with fresh orange juice and zest. Decrease the milk and cream proportionately. A pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon adds a layer of spice that complements the carrot’s natural sweetness.
- Carrot and Cheese Soup: For a heartier variant, stir in grated cheddar, parmesan, or gruyere until melted and velvety. For added texture and savory notes, consider topping with croutons or crispy bacon bits. This version turns the soup into a more substantial meal, perfect for those extra chilly days or when you crave something more comforting.
How do I store James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup Leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of this soup, you can store them in the following ways:
- In the fridge. You can store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure to let the soup cool completely before putting it in the fridge. You can also store the flatbread and vichy carrots separately in the fridge, wrapped in foil or plastic wrap.
- In the freezer. You can store the soup in a freezer-safe container or a ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure to label and date the container or bag. You can also freeze the flatbread and vichy carrots separately in the freezer, wrapped in foil or plastic wrap.
How do I reheat James Martin Carrot And Coriander Soup Leftovers?
If you want to reheat this soup, you can do it in the following ways:
- In the microwave. You can reheat the soup in a microwave-safe bowl or mug, covered with a lid or a paper towel, for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring halfway. You can also reheat the flatbread and vichy carrots separately in the microwave, wrapped in a damp paper towel, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In the saucepan. You can reheat the soup in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and bubbly. You can also reheat the flatbread and vichy carrots separately in a skillet over medium-high heat, flipping once, until crisp and warm.
Nutrition value (per serving):
- Calories: 283 kcal
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrate: 35 g
- Sugar: 16 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Sodium: 0.9 mg
How do I make the soup smoother or thicker?
If you want to make the soup smoother, you can add more milk, cream, or water to the soup and blend it again. If you want to make the soup thicker, you can add more carrots, potatoes, or cheese to the soup and blend it again. You can also simmer the soup for longer to reduce the liquid.
How do I make the soup more flavorful or spicy?
If you want to make the soup more flavorful or spicy, you can add more salt, pepper, or ground coriander to the soup and taste it. You can also add some other spices, such as cumin, ginger, garlic, curry powder, or turmeric to the soup and taste it. You can also add some lemon juice, vinegar, or orange juice to the soup to balance the sweetness and creaminess.
How do I make the flatbread more crispy or soft?
If you want to make the flatbread more crispy, you can bake it for longer in the oven, or toast it in a skillet or a toaster. If you want to make the flatbread more soft, you can bake it for less time in the oven, or wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it for a few seconds.
How do I make the vichy carrots more tender or crunchy?
If you want to make the vichy carrots more tender, you can cook them for longer in the pan, or add more water to the pan. If you want to make the vichy carrots more crunchy, you can cook them for less time in the pan, or add less water to the pan.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned how to make James Martin’s carrot and coriander soup recipe step by step. This soup is a great way to use up some carrots and coriander, and it’s also very satisfying and comforting. You can make it in a soup maker or a regular saucepan, and you can customize it to your liking. It’s a perfect dish for any occasion, whether you want a quick lunch, a hearty dinner, or a cozy meal with your family or friends.
If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you and see how your soup turned out. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!