The Hairy Bikers Beetroot Chutney Recipe is a simple way to transform fresh beets into a delicious sweet and earthy condiment. This chutney pairs perfectly with cheese, bread, or grilled meats. And it can be stored in the fridge for weeks or canned for over a year.
All you need are basic ingredients like beetroots, onions, vinegar, sugar, and spices. Simply cook everything together in a pot until thickened. In just about an hour, you can make a vibrantly-hued chutney that makes an ideal hostess gift or addition to a holiday cheese board.
Follow the easy steps below to whip up your own batch of Hairy Bikers’ sweet and tangy beetroot chutney.
What is Hairy Bikers Beetroot Chutney?
Why You Should Make This Recipe
There are many reasons why you should make this recipe. Here are some of them:
- Tantalizing Taste: A symphony of flavors awaits! Experience the sweetness of sugar and beetroots, the tang of vinegar and lemon, the spiciness of ginger and mustard seeds, and the delightful crunch of onions and apples. This versatile chutney pairs seamlessly with cheese, crackers, bread, ham, and chicken, and even makes for an enticing dip.
- A Boost for Health: Dive into a nutritional powerhouse. Beetroots, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber, enhance blood circulation and immunity. Apples, rich in pectin, play a role in managing cholesterol and blood sugar. The anti-inflammatory properties of onions and the digestive benefits of ginger only add to the health quotient.
- Effortless Creation: No culinary expertise? No worries. This chutney is straightforward. Just gather the ingredients, get a pot, and follow the easy steps. In about an hour, you’ll have jars filled with this delightful concoction.
- Economical Eats: A win-win for your palate and pocket. This recipe is an excellent way to utilize leftover beetroots or apples. Seasonal shopping? Even better. Make a large batch and store it for up to a year, ensuring delicious moments anytime.
Ingredients You Will Need
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg (2 lb) of fresh beetroots
- 500 g (1 lb) of cooking apples
- 2 medium onions
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) of malt vinegar
- 300 g (10 oz) of light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
You will also need some sterilized jars with lids to store the chutney.
Instruction To Make Hairy Bikers Beetroot Chutney
To make this recipe, follow these steps:
- Peel and chop the beetroots into small pieces. Peel and core the apples and chop them into similar-sized pieces. Peel and dice the onions.
- In a large pot, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil over high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the salt, mustard seeds, ginger, and lemon juice to the vinegar mixture and stir well.
- Add the beetroots, apples, and onions to the pot and bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the chutney for about 45 minutes or until it is thickened and reduced.
- Spoon the hot chutney into the sterilized jars and seal them tightly with lids.
- Let the jars cool completely before storing them in a cool and dark place.
- Enjoy your chutney with cheese, crackers, bread, ham, chicken, or any other dish you like.
Pro Tips to Make Hairy Bikers Beetroot Chutney
Here are some tips and tricks for making this recipe:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about this recipe:
What is chutney?
Chutney is a flavorful condiment hailing from India, crafted from a mix of fruits, vegetables, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Its taste can range from sweet to spicy, tangy to savory. Commonly paired with curry, rice, bread, cheese, meats, or finger foods, chutney enhances the overall dining experience.
What is beetroot?
What are the benefits of beetroot?
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to make the Hairy Bikers beetroot chutney recipe. This chutney is a delicious and easy way to use up your beetroots and apples. It is also healthy and economical. You can make a large batch of this chutney and store it in jars for up to a year. You can serve it with cheese, crackers, bread, ham, chicken, or any other dish you like.
If you have any questions or comments about this recipe, please feel free to leave them below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!
- Related: Hairy Bikers Lemon Drizzle Cake