What is Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni?
Mary Berry beef cannelloni is a delicious pasta dish that consists of large tubes of pasta filled with a savory mixture of ground beef, spinach, and cheese, and baked in a creamy tomato sauce. It’s a classic Italian dish that is easy to make and perfect for a cozy and satisfying meal. Mary Berry is a famous British cook and author who has popularized this recipe with her simple and tasty version.
This recipe is perfect for a cozy weekend dinner or a special occasion. You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it. It serves six people, but you can easily double it if you have a larger crowd. You can also freeze the leftovers and reheat them later for a quick and satisfying meal.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe is easy to make, but it looks and tastes impressive. It’s a great way to show off your cooking skills and impress your guests.
- This recipe is filling and satisfying. It’s a complete meal that will keep you full for hours. It’s also high in protein, iron, and calcium, which are essential for your health.
- This recipe is versatile and adaptable. You can customize it to suit your preferences and dietary needs. You can also make it ahead of time and bake it when you’re ready to eat.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni
To make Mary Berry beef cannelloni recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 500 grams of lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 200 grams of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 100 grams of ricotta cheese
- 50 grams of grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 12 cannelloni tubes
- 400 grams of canned chopped tomatoes
- 150 milliliters of double cream
- 125 grams of grated mozzarella cheese
Instructions to Make Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni
Here’s how to make this amazing Mary Berry beef cannelloni recipe in a few simple steps.
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni?
Mary Berry beef cannelloni is a hearty and filling dish that can be enjoyed on its own, or with some simple sides to complement it.
Some of the best options are:
- Fresh Green Salad: A crisp salad dressed with vinaigrette or lemon juice brings a refreshing contrast to the rich cannelloni.
- Crusty or Garlic Bread: Ideal for savoring every last bit of the flavorful sauce.
- Red Wine Pairing: A glass of Chianti or Merlot enriches the taste experience, marrying well with the beef and tomato sauce.
- Dessert Finale: Conclude with a light dessert like sorbet or gelato for a pleasant, sweet end to your meal.
Expert Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni
To make sure your Mary Berry beef cannelloni turns out perfectly, follow these pro tips:
- Choice of Beef: Opt for lean ground beef to minimize fat content.
- Aromatic Base: Sauté onion and garlic until golden to unlock their natural sweetness.
- Seasoning Balance: Adequately season the beef and sauce to complement the creamy cheese.
- Spinach Preparation: Thoroughly drain the spinach to maintain the right texture in the filling.
- Filling Technique: Use a piping bag for a smooth and efficient stuffing process.
- Sauce Coverage: Ensure the cannelloni are fully enveloped in sauce to avoid dryness during baking.
- Cheese Topping: A sprinkle of extra Parmesan adds a delightful crunch and flavor layer.
Variations of Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni
You can easily customize your Mary Berry beef cannelloni to suit your preferences and dietary needs.
Here are some ideas for variations:
- Vegetarian Option: Swap beef for lentils, mushrooms, or tofu, and use vegetable broth in the sauce.
- Dairy-Free Adaptation: Employ vegan cheese and cream or switch to a simple tomato sauce.
- Gluten-Free Alternative: Choose gluten-free pasta and adjust thickening agents as necessary.
- Spicy Twist: Introduce red pepper flakes or chili powder for a bit of heat.
- Extra Cheesy Delight: Incorporate additional varieties like cheddar, gruyere, or gouda for a cheesier taste.
How do I store Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni Leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of your Mary Berry beef cannelloni, you can store them in the fridge or freezer for later.
- Refrigerator Storage: After allowing the cannelloni to cool completely, place them in an airtight container or securely wrap them in plastic wrap or foil. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, ensuring freshness and taste.
- Freezer Storage: For longer storage, place the cooled cannelloni in a freezer-safe container or wrap them thoroughly in plastic wrap or foil. Don’t forget to label it with the date. They remain good in the freezer for up to 3 months, making for a convenient future meal.
How do I reheat Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni Leftovers?
To reheat your Mary Berry beef cannelloni leftovers, you can use the oven or the microwave.
- Oven Method: Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Arrange the cannelloni in a single layer in a lightly greased baking dish, covering them with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until they are thoroughly heated and the cheese is bubbly.
- Microwave Method: For a quicker option, place the cannelloni in a microwave-safe dish, covering them with a damp paper towel to maintain moisture. Heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring midway, until they are evenly warmed and ready to serve.
Nutrition value per serving:
- Calories: 614 kcal
- Fat: 31 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 632 mg
- Calcium: 454 mg
- Iron: 5 mg
Related Recipes to Try
- Mary Berry Apple Pie
- Mary Berry Egg And Bacon Pie
- Hairy Bikers Beef Goulash Soup
- Hairy Bikers Pork Pie
- Delia Smith Cottage Pie
- Hairy Bikers Moussaka
- Nigella Shepherds Pie
Can I Prepare Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni in Advance?
Yes, you can prepare this dish in advance. Assemble the cannelloni as per the recipe and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking. Ensure it’s covered tightly with foil or plastic wrap. When ready to bake, you may need to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time if baking straight from the refrigerator.
Is There a Substitute for Ricotta Cheese in This Recipe?
If you don’t have ricotta cheese, cottage cheese is a great alternative. It provides a similar texture and mild flavor. Be sure to drain it well and, if desired, blend it for a smoother consistency. Another option is mascarpone cheese, which adds a creamier texture.
How Can I Make This Recipe Gluten-Free?
To make gluten-free Mary Berry Beef Cannelloni, use gluten-free cannelloni tubes or lasagna sheets available in most supermarkets. Also, ensure that any other ingredients like canned tomatoes or seasonings are gluten-free. Always check the labels for any hidden gluten content.
Can I Use Fresh Spinach Instead of Frozen in the Recipe?
Absolutely! Fresh spinach can be used in place of frozen. Simply sauté the fresh spinach until wilted, then drain any excess liquid before adding it to the beef mixture. You’ll need about double the amount of fresh spinach as it reduces significantly when cooked.
How do I fill the cannelloni tubes?
To fill the cannelloni tubes, you need to spoon the beef mixture into a piping bag or a ziplock bag with a corner cut-off. Then, pipe the filling into the tubes, pushing it from both ends to fill them evenly.
I hope you enjoyed this Mary Berry beef cannelloni recipe as much as I do. It’s one of my go-to recipes for a cozy and delicious dinner. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover ground beef or cheese you have in your fridge.
If you try this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you. And if you liked this recipe, please share it with your friends and family. They’ll thank you for it.
Thank you for reading my recipe article. I hope you found it helpful and informative.