If you’re looking for a delicious and easy dinner idea, you can’t go wrong with Mary Berry’s honey chicken recipe. This dish is packed with flavor, thanks to the honey, mustard, and lemon marinade that coats the chicken pieces. The chicken is then baked in the oven until tender and juicy, and served with a simple green salad or your favorite side dish.
In this article, I will show you how to make Mary Berry honey chicken in a few simple steps. I will also share some tips and tricks to make this dish even more delicious and satisfying.
Let’s get started!
What is Mary Berry Honey Chicken?
Mary Berry’s Honey Chicken is a delightful dish that combines the natural sweetness of honey with the tang of mustard and the freshness of lemon. This recipe involves baking chicken thighs, which have been seasoned and marinated in a honey, mustard, and lemon mixture. The outcome is a plate of tender, juicy chicken with a flavorful, crispy skin. This dish exemplifies Mary Berry’s approach to cooking: simple, wholesome, and family-friendly.
Other Popular Recipes
Why You Love this Recipe
- Easy to Prepare: The recipe is straightforward, making it perfect for both beginners and seasoned cooks.
- Flavorful: The unique combination of honey, mustard, and lemon creates a delicious marinade that infuses the chicken with rich flavors.
- Versatile: It pairs well with various side dishes, making it suitable for different meal occasions.
- Family-Friendly: Its appealing taste makes it a hit among all age groups.
- Ideal for Any Occasion: Perfect for a casual family dinner or a special gathering.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mary Berry Honey Chicken
To make this honey chicken recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons of clear honey
- 2 tablespoons of wholegrain mustard
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
You will also need the following equipment:
- A large baking dish
- A small bowl
- A whisk or a fork
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A measuring cup and spoons
- A zester or a grater
- A garlic press or a knife
- A spoon
- A pair of kitchen tongs
- An oven mitt
- A serving platter
- A salad bowl (optional)
Follow these instructions to make Mary Berry’s honey chicken recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and arrange them in a single layer in a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, and garlic. Pour the mixture over the chicken thighs, making sure they are well coated. Sprinkle the parsley on top.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is golden and crisp. Baste the chicken with the juices halfway through the cooking time.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and spoon over some of the juices. Serve hot or at room temperature, with a green salad or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!
What Do I Serve With Mary Berry Honey Chicken?
This dish pairs beautifully with a range of sides. Some great options include:
- Green Salad: A simple salad balances the richness of the chicken.
- Roasted Vegetables: Vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or Brussels sprouts complement the flavors well.
- Rice or Quinoa: These grains make for a hearty accompaniment.
- Couscous or Pasta: These offer a delightful texture contrast.
- Bread: Fresh bread can be great for soaking up the delicious juices.
Pro Tips to Make Perfect Mary Berry Honey Chicken
- Marinate Well: For deeper flavor, marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge.
- Room Temperature: Bring the chicken to room temperature before baking for even cooking.
- Basting: Halfway through the cooking, baste the chicken with its juices for a moister result.
- Check Doneness: Ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly, with an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C).
- Rest Before Serving: Let the chicken rest for a few minutes after baking for juicier meat.
Variations of Mary Berry Honey Chicken
- Different Cuts: Try with drumsticks, breasts, or wings.
- Mustard Varieties: Experiment with Dijon or honey mustard for a different taste.
- Herb Infusions: Add herbs like rosemary or thyme for an aromatic twist.
- Spicy Kick: Introduce a bit of chili or paprika for those who like it hot.
- Citrus Twist: Orange or lime can be used instead of lemon for a different citrus note.
How do I Store Mary Berry Honey Chicken Leftovers?
In the Fridge:
- Cool Down: Allow the chicken to cool to room temperature before storing.
- Airtight Container: Place in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
- Duration: Properly stored, it can last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
In the Freezer:
- Freeze Separately: Freeze in individual portions for easy reheating.
- Freezer-Safe Container: Use freezer-safe bags or containers.
- Duration: Can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
How do I Reheat Mary Berry Honey Chicken Leftovers?
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place chicken in an oven-safe dish and cover loosely with foil.
- Heat for 20-25 minutes or until thoroughly warmed.
- Place chicken in a microwave-safe dish.
- Cover with a microwave-safe lid or wrap.
- Reheat on medium power, checking regularly, until heated through.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken and a splash of water or chicken stock.
- Cover and heat for 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
Mary Berry’s honey chicken recipe is a perfect dish for any occasion, whether it’s a weeknight dinner, a weekend lunch, or a special celebration. It’s easy to make, delicious to eat, and sure to impress your guests. Try it today and let me know what you think!